Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DooMBoy

Textures not used in Doom or Doom2

Just out of random curiosity, where there any textures in Doom or Doom2 that weren't used?

CacodemonLeader said:

Other than AASHITTY? Not that I know of.

That's not a texture, it's just a placeholder.

Apart from that some switch textures in Doom 2 are just placeholders. Due to some really stupid implementation of the switch init stuff they couldn't just leave them out like the animations. That's also the reason why Doom2's switches don't work in Doom1 (unlike the animations)

sargebaldy said:

there's an unused stalagmite (or is it stalactite?) sprite in doom.

You mean sprite SMT2A0, allocated to frame 887, but not allocated to any things? It's a grey stalagmite kind of structure.

Also as for unused frames in the "frame table", in addition to the normally unused pain elemental respawn frames (720-725) there are 2 frames (892 & 893) which feature sprites from the player death sequence, but are not used by any things.

Enjay said:

You mean sprite SMT2A0, allocated to frame 887, but not allocated to any things? It's a grey stalagmite kind of structure.

Also as for unused frames in the "frame table", in addition to the normally unused pain elemental respawn frames (720-725) there are 2 frames (892 & 893) which feature sprites from the player death sequence, but are not used by any things.

And don't forget 2 unused frames in the SSG firing sequence while we are at it! They were meant to be used in case the player was out of ammo so the reload sequence shouldn't be played. They were never used, however.
In some older Doom source I found this:

void
A_CheckReload
( player_t*	player,
  pspdef_t*	psp )
{
    P_CheckAmmo (player);
#if 0
    if (player->ammo[am_shell]<2)
	P_SetPsprite (player, ps_weapon, S_DSNR1);
#endif
}

Older versions of Doom also had some other redundant sprites including a really cool looking purple sort of plasma ball.

On another note: There is no Wfall textures in Doom2's texture1 lump and no patches for them. Still if you include Wfall textures in a Pwad they will animate quite properly.

Little Faith said:

Older versions of Doom also had some other redundant sprites including a really cool looking purple sort of plasma ball.

On another note: There is no Wfall textures in Doom2's texture1 lump and no patches for them. Still if you include Wfall textures in a Pwad they will animate quite properly.

Those purple balls were supposedly going to be used in some claw weapon that was never implemented in Doom. There are also a green variety that was used for the beta BFG.

As for the wfall, I used that to my advantage since all you have to do is insert the patches and presto! There are other animations sequences (both textures and flats) retained in the .exe, but I can't recall what each one is called. Do the Doom I animations still work in Doom II even after the textures were long gone?

Can someone who has access to the source post any source files that may contain definitions to these animations? Maybe someone (or myself) could produce a list of these for others to use...

Yeah, I remember:

The animated SLADRIP texture exists in (Ultimate) Doom, but not in Doom2. Yet it will animate properly if imported into a Doom2 pwad.