Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Katarhyne

zaldron?

What about EMBM, DOT3, vertex and pixel shaders - all of that phat nastiness? Have we any information on what D3 will be using and what it won't be using?

* Katarhyne muses on the fact that she's the only person in the forum who will be able to run Doom III and decides to brag about it in the D3 forum.

Mwahahaha.

----
Oh, and for all the rest of you morons, has anyone considered making a Doom III-ish level in, say, ZdoomGL or Vavoom or Legacy?

um...
yah right
even if you did have the softeware for it now, it will be obsolete in 2 years.
so ha ha ha ha ha to you bia bia bia!!

I am not Zaldron, but I know one :)
Anyway, the features you described will indeed be supported in the new doom game (EMBM won't be).
You can watch the MacWorld movie and see examples of them:

Characters expressions - vertex shaders.

Lighting - pixel shaders.

Floor, enviroments, etc - DOT 3 Bumpmapping.

If you'd like more info, just ask =)

Katarhyne.

I don't think id will use Enviromental Bump Mapping in this game, since they can archieve better effects using Pixel Shaders and DOT3.

Vertex shaders will be used for 2 reasons. They give you hardware accelerated functions specifically designed to distort meshes, wich is the key concept while animating models. Walking, running, shooting, waving arms, talking and head turning will be now calculated in the video card, freeing your CPU. Besides, Vertex Shaders give you the same advantages that T&L (thank God, cause it doesn't work while VS are running). DOOM just needs the "T" part of T&L, since gourad shading (commonly called vertex shading) has been ditched. The transform routines to precalculate the world are much needed because of a matter of polycounts.

Pixel shaders are on too. Just take a look at the video. The traditional lightmapping and vertex shading has been replaced with "true" lighting systems. In order to adjust the brightness of every visible point of the world (the pixels in your screen), pixel shaders are called to process the lights distance/occlusion over every surface.

DOT3's used to enhance the looks of every texture in the world. Skins and world textures are joined with a special grayscale image that represents the respective heightmap.

Zaldron

EMBM won't be used 100%.
I remember Carmack saying in Voodoo Extreme's interview that EMBM "just doesn't cut it".
In other words, DOT 3 BUMPMAPPING is the only technique of bumpmapping that allows Carmack to realise his dreams.

And I never said they were, but there's a lot of difference between horsepower needed between EBM and DOT3.

I gotta ask, Since My New Machine Will be mine by the end of Next Week.... I have a Video Card Question

If I Do what I plan to Do and wait 6 Months to get a Geforce 3, what should I get instead.

GeForce HighEnd Obselete In 6 Month ULTRA
---------------------OR------------------
GeForce LowEnd Already Obsolete But Works
Until GeForce 3 is Cheaper MX

A more Serious Example would be:

GeForce 2 Ultra 64MB DDR Ram With T&L High
Clock speed And More.........
---------------------OR-------------------
GeForce 2 Mx 32MB SDRAM With No Features
But Ok Clock Speed And Less........

(Just In Case You Didn't pick it... the names
are not exactly serious)