Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Sephiroth

doom is too slow

at my dads house the computer is so sick. I mean they dont even remotely take care of it, not even basic things such as defrag and scandisk are run and it stays on a week at a time! well doom runs terribly slow, with zdoom, the original doom engin still runs fine but zdoom has many slowdowns that effect my game play. I am useing something far above a 486, this is a p133, 32mb ram and a 4 gb hard drive. I told my dad i could give it a total upgrade for under $50. I would like to know what i could do to help zdoom go faster, i have it set at low res. I think the computer may just be too damaged to fix now. I am surprised it has lasted 6 years with this kind of punishment.

Try turning off the optimized column rendering code in ZDoom display options. That might help you speed it back up.

My old dooming comp was a p100 w/ about 80 mb of RAM, and a decent 3d accelerator card, but I could never get ZDooM to run at a decent speed no matter what I tried. I suggest using a faster port like PRBoom or just using plain vanilla doom.

Uh... I dunno, never tried it :P

I can't remember if v1.27 or v1.28 was the better-working one but one of those three would be it.

heres a series of upgrades i used on my system to help boost its preformance:

1) ran scandisk -through
2) when scandisk crashed, i run disk deframenter
3)when disk deframentor dosn't corperate, pc gets kicked
4)bluescreen error
5)very selective words are uttered
6)process is repeated
7)point of insanity is reached and harddisk is formatted
8)system runs fine

ever wonder if those shrooms you did back in 1971 have anything to do with the hunt for your glasses every morning?