Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Hellbent

Merging levels into a Megawad

How do you compile a bunch of one map pwads into one .wad?
The last time I did it for Greenwar I used Deep97 Registered. But I stupidly uninstalled it thinking I was going to put my DOOMin' days behind me only to find out two weeks later I want to release another megawad. I tried using Wintex, but all that lets' me do is replace levels in the main IWAD or merge two pwads together, which isn't quite what I need.

I feel this is a ridiculously common knowledge thing, so I'm sort of surprised seven people have looked at this post without replying.

What is the easiest way to do this? Thank you.

You can use copy/paste in Wintex to get maps from one wad to another. DeePsea and XWE will also do it (but not the exact same method).

btw, is this the SixSwix maps from last year?

nope. It's 32 maps that r wanted me to make a megawad out of.

Did I release SixSwix? I guess I did. Didn't know anyone knew about that one :D

Is it hard to figure out how to do it in Wintex?

Deepsea doesn't allow you to do that unless you ahve the registered version which I don't have.

Nope, you can use all lump management tools in the shareware DeePsea, the only thing you can't do is make non-small maps.

Use the Edit menu in Wintex to copy/paste, but make sure you highlight all the entries (from the map header to the blockmap) before copy/pasting to another wad.

(I remember SixSwix because I textured it...are you sure you released it 'cos it's not in the archives)

Or if you like really simple dos tools you can get WADCAT. It's distributed with WADED. All you do is run it, type the name (no ext. ) of the output wad file, then the names ( no ext.) of all teh wads you want to put in. When you're done adding names hit enter, then it'll go through all the maps asking you if you want to change what mapnumber they are and viola. Done like dinner. I just rename my maps MAP01.wad MAP02.wad etc so it's easier to keep track of stuff.

The Ultimate DooMer said:

Nope, you can use all lump management tools in the shareware DeePsea, the only thing you can't do is make non-small maps.

Use the Edit menu in Wintex to copy/paste, but make sure you highlight all the entries (from the map header to the blockmap) before copy/pasting to another wad.

(I remember SixSwix because I textured it...are you sure you released it 'cos it's not in the archives)

Ohh!! I rememembah now! Heh, good show. No, I suppose I didn't release it.

Thank you for the tip - I will use deepsea in that case.

Rellik said:

Or if you like really simple dos tools you can get WADCAT. It's distributed with WADED. All you do is run it, type the name (no ext. ) of the output wad file, then the names ( no ext.) of all teh wads you want to put in. When you're done adding names hit enter, then it'll go through all the maps asking you if you want to change what mapnumber they are and viola. Done like dinner. I just rename my maps MAP01.wad MAP02.wad etc so it's easier to keep track of stuff.

And I've already named the wads map01.wad etc. with their corresponding map replacements. Perhaps I'll just do that!

Looking forward to your reviews of the all the wads I've submitted this week. :D

figured it out. Grouped map01.wad-map05.wad saved it as 1-5.wad. Then I grouped map06.wad-map09.wad plus 1-5.wad and saved it as 1-9.wda. Then I grouped map10.wad-map13.wad plus 1-9.wad and saved it as 1-13.wad. Then I grouped map14.wad-map17.wad plus 1-13.wad and saved it as 1-17.wad. And I did this until all 32 maps were grouped. Just uploaded it to /incoming. Should arrive in /newstuff sometime tomorrow.

There are other wads in there that I uploaded singlely as well.

Hellbent said:

DeepSea shareware only lets you group 5 wads :(

You can merge an unlimited number of PWADs with the shareware version. As has been said before, there are NO limits to any of the F7 PWAD tools.

You are thinking of the number of simultaneous files that can be open and then use the Group command, but the F7/Merge command (new in DeePsea vs DeeP97) is actually the one to use - and better at that anyway since you can see everything up front.