Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
sargebaldy

Deus Ex: Invisible War demo out!

Yay, the game on the top of my wishlist has released a demo version :D The full game comes out December 3rd, but it's a little taste of what's to come.

http://ftp.eidos.com/pub/demos/deusex/dxiw_demo.zip This one doesn't make you wait in line, but it's pretty slow. If you use it I recommend you use a download accelerator.

It's also available on Fileplanet, but that was filled when i tried it. I'd make comments on it but I'm only 50M into the 223M download.

ok, i got it.

Looks fairly good, although quite grainy...almost blurry (at 1024x768). For me, the game runs fine...however, the mouse seems to have a half second delay with it when you look around. This demo also has an amazing ability of undoing my key bindings every time it loads a level...very nice touch.

You can also throw boxes and other assorted crap quite some distance. shooting dead bodies...well...Im quite certain corpses don't flop around THAT much when shot.

I dont know what to think of it really.

So... close... but so far...

Speaking in defense of Deus Ex, the first one was pretty pants for the first 20 minutes, then got better at an alarming rate. I wouldnt be surprised if this one turned out the same. Play it until you start liking it.

The first one was a lot of fun, even though I never beat it. The worst thing about it in my opinion were the controls. They felt so rigid, it would have been better if they were loose and free-flowing like counter-strike. And I also hated how you couldn't hit shit with your gun if you were running, you had to stop or walk so your gun was "steady". Lame.
Great game though.

chilvence said:

Speaking in defense of Deus Ex, the first one was pretty pants for the first 20 minutes, then got better at an alarming rate. I wouldnt be surprised if this one turned out the same. Play it until you start liking it.

I agree.

I can't get the damn thing to run though myself >:|

I dled the demo and played for like 5 mins. I'm gonna try again tomorrow because I'm pretty tired and I've been studying and playing max payne 2 all day (awesome game btw) but here's some impressions:

- it crashed twice when I was trying to set some key bindings. The second time it messed up my resolution on my desktop so I had to reboot since I couldn't get to the task manager to kill it. The third time I managed to set some bindings but when I started a new game they were gone and I had to set them AGAIN
- I knew I wasn't gonna be JC, but it never really hit home how much that fucking blows ass until I played it just now. :(
- The mouse is a bit wonky, it's almost as if they designed it with a gamepad in mind and then ported it half-assedly to PC... oh wait...
- I fucking hate the HUD, just like I knew I would. I wouldn't mind an excessivly complex hud (like the first had) if it wasn't IN THE MIDDLE OF MY GODDAMN SCREEN.

anyways I'm gonna give it a fair shot again tomorrow like I said, but as it stands now I'm not feeling the love :/

Cyb: I feel all your pain on those issues.

goddamn, the hud is craptacular though, jesus

heh, in the official eidos forums it seems like MOST people didn't like the demo. of the rest most thought it was 'ok'. and pretty much everyone noticed some errors with it. i can't even run the damn thing at all, but from what i hear it's been dumbed down a lot for xbox :/ which i kinda thought might have happened but was hoping didn't. just to show how popular it is... *sigh*.. i guess i can still look forward to oz.

Is that petition really asking Ion Storm to "delay the release of the game to fix some pressing issues"? I don't think anyone forgot what happened the last time this was taken into consideration. :)

I never played the first one and I've only read comments for this demo, but apparently the console-to-pc conversion didn't hold up well at all... it can be done effectively, but it wasn't this time. Since I can't provide my own POV, I'll provide another:

http://www.shacknews.com/ja.zz?id=8917890

This isn't a console to pc conversion though. The original was PC only, in this one they just butchered the PC version so it would be more consistent with the XBox version, which is due for release at the same time. Deus Ex just simply isn't the kind of game that belongs on a console though... console games tend to be simplistic, really simple, and simplistic. Deus Ex was too complex for most people to even consider an FPS at all, most people thought of it as an RPG. Not the kind of game that belongs on the XBox. If this is any example, don't be surprised if Doom III is more than a little linear.

I see, so it wasn't a conversation, but why should it be tailored to coincide with the XBox when they handle differently... nevermind, it's no good to ponder the silliness of the idea when I haven't played the game, but it doesn't sound like responsible design.

It isn't responsible, they just did it for a few extra bucks. But since they seem to have totally ruined the real charm behind the original, it might just not work out that way for them after all.

My thoughts:
- Runs like crap on my P4 3.0 and GF4400
- Interface is hideous and unusable - big fonts, circular thing blocking most of the screen, navigation is also difficult - clearly aimed at consoles.
- Can't say much about the game based on such a short demo

ugh, I tried to play it more but I can't make myself play it for more than like 5 mins at a time. good to know companies are still capable of ruining great game concepts though.

couple other things that suck, for the sake of completeness:

- unified ammo system? wtf. At least in Hexen it kinda makes sense since they weapons are all mystical, but how a pistol and a flame thrower can use the same kind of ammo I simply can't comprehend
- no reloading of weapons. I didn't think this would bother me, but it totally takes away from the realism the first game had.
- speaking of realism, it appears there's no sort of stealth or one-hit kills. I shot a guy right in his head twice and he didn't die. then I shot another guy point blank with a shotgun in his face and he didn't die. wtf, welcome to 1994 apparently.
- arg arg I hate the ui/hud. I want to murder whoever came up with that piece of intrusive shit.
- JC would so mop the floor with this pussy alex d or whatever his name is. I want JC back :(

okay I'm done now, uninstall time.

Verdict: this game sucks even if it was not a long-awaited sequel to one of the best FPSes ever.

And in other news, they're removing the lighting system for Thief 3, because it's too complicated. Everything is going to be full bright.

Apparently, my video card doesn't have whatever masturbatory rendering option is "required" to run this game.

From what I'm hearing, it's a good thing I probably can't run this on my computer anyway, or it'd be a waste of disk space.

Arioch said:

And in other news, they're removing the lighting system for Thief 3, because it's too complicated. Everything is going to be full bright.

I hope like Hell that is a joke. Lighting is about half the game in Thief.