Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Thehappycommunist

what do you think was the most classic and memorable moment in doom?

Finding the chainsaw for the first time in e1m2 and the encounters with the end of episode bosses of course.

e1m2, that area with all those flashing lights. pitch blackness in general and the sound of imps .... nearby ... in stereo ! shit!

tell you the most ironic one. Meeting the barons in e1m8 and thinking "How am I ever to defeat them, they are so smart and it is so hard to dodge their fireballs!"

The first time I saw the Barons. At the time I'd never seen anything like it in a computer game before. The plasma gun was a bit special too.

There are several memorable moments in both Doom and Doom2 to me.
The start of E1M1
The start of MAP01
E1, the entire episode, need I really say more?
Doom2 MAP07, Dead Simple, this was a classic.
E2M8, the battle with the cyberdemon is one of the most famous boss battles in video game history I'm sure.

PC Doom E1M8: Fighting not one, but two barons for the first time...
Sega 32x Doom MAP10: Trying to figure out that last god damned secret area...

Yeah, finding the chainsaw for the first time, and fighting the E1M8 barons both come pretty high, but for me it was shooting a lost soul on E2M8 and hearing the Cybie wake up and start stomping around. I was crapping it long before I saw him. When I did see him, I only lived just long enough to realise it was a rocket heading my way - splat!

Unfortunately I was first introduced to Doom 2 rather than Doom 1, even though I had played Wolf3D beforehand. I was very unfamiliar with computers at the time. I think the most memorable moment was just first starting up the game and playing through the first level. I try to imagine the feeling of first stepping through those hallways and I just can't imagine it anymore.

Other than that, map07 and map30 were quite memorable, but a nice 3rd place finish would be the dual boss encounter of map20. It seemed like an "OH GOD I'M SCREWED" situation to a kid, until creativity strikes, followed by "hehehe this is gonna be so cool!" I found that the Cyberdemon almost always wins. :)

As everyone else has stated, the Baron and Cyberdemon encounters were pretty memorable moments. But theres a third that will always stick out in my mind:

The halways behind the blue key door in E1M4. I used to be so terrefied of going in there because it was so cramped and mazy. Plus there was a demon in there too.

Assmaster said:

The halways behind the blue key door in E1M4. I used to be so terrefied of going in there because it was so cramped and mazy. Plus there was a demon in there too.

Yeah, that was one of the moments. The other was remembering how hard and long E1M7 was and how excited I was when I realized I was going to make it to the coveted E1M8 when I finished it.

Seeing and hearing an imp for the first time back in 94'... I almost got up and walked away in horror... that hiss...

nowadays I kill them by the dozens.

The other was remembering how hard and long E1M7 was

Yep, I remember that too. Damn E1M7 . . .

Converted DOOMer said:

Seeing and hearing an imp for the first time back in 94'... I almost got up and walked away in horror... that hiss...

nowadays I kill them by the dozens.

Heh, I remember in E1M1 dodging around badly (hadn't learned to strafe yet) trying to get that imp standing on the tower in the nukage room (only 1 imp - no UV for me then). He just seemd so difficult on our first encounter. I mean, those "tough" zombies had already reduced my health quite a bit, and the imp simply wouldn't die. I seemed to be pumping hundreds of pistol shots into him, and yet he kept coming back with those "impossible to avoid" fireballs.

Ahhhh happy days - long gone.

Encountering, then defeating, the Cyberdemon on E2M8 for the first time.

Re: Chilling sounds: First time hearing a Revenant in Doom II.

First time jumping out of skin: First time encountering an Arch-Vile on Doom II Map 11 as I picked up the blue key.
(Took me an hour to get it back on. ;-)

For me the long corridor on E1M8 Was so frightening ive got the all map and I look to see this huge pentagram. Going down that corridor with nothing but my trusty Chaingun and some ammo i walk to the elevator, hands trembling and flick the switch. *RAaaarrrrr* the doors open and the barons scream flicking fireballs this way and that as I strafe to avoid them. A nice game of cat and mouse ensues and I pump my chaingun into the rotting hulk of their bodies, finishing them off with my shotgun. Ahhh the memories. I cant wait till I can do this in doom3 ;)

Hearing "Doomey" (what I call the marine) die for the first time.

It scared the hell outta me and I'm still afraid of it today.

Besides the "classics" (e1m1, Imp, Cybie and the shocking sound of a demon's head bumping onto the floor) there is another "memorable" moment for me:

Back in 1994 ... It was the first time I played through ep3. I found the secret level e3m9 and was totally confused. Instead "exiting" I used IDDT and got a complete shock. What a stupid fool I was.

I wonder if this happened to others too.

Assmaster said:

yeah that's one of mine. my brothers and i called the two uac doors (that one and the one in e1m5) the "monster rooms" because they were both relatively crowded. the one in e1m4 in particular scared me.

as for my most classic moment, well. i can remember distinctly the first time i played. it was early 1994. my brother had just got to e1m3 and let me play. he had looked up the god mode code somewhere and so it was on. but i fell into the right toxin pit in the larger outdoor area and that was that. my brother had forgotten the clipping code so i started over from the start of the game (without codes this time).

anyway i could tell more stories, about joe the janitor and sarge baldy and his brother corporal barry and the hell portal and our old made-up stories of stuff that happens in nightmare mode, but i'll spare you guys.

Angus Thermopyle said:

I found the secret level e3m9 and was totally confused. Instead "exiting" I used IDDT and got a complete shock. What a stupid fool I was. I wonder if this happened to others too.

That reminds me of this.

chilvence said:

tell you the most ironic one. Meeting the barons in e1m8 and thinking "How am I ever to defeat them, they are so smart and it is so hard to dodge their fireballs!"

Same for me.

Angus Thermopyle said:

Back in 1994 ... It was the first time I played through ep3. I found the secret level e3m9 and was totally confused. Instead "exiting" I used IDDT and got a complete shock. What a stupid fool I was.

I wonder if this happened to others too.

Yes (he forces himself to admit)... First time I ever even knew about E3M9 was playing the SNES edition of Doom... "Wait, I played through this level already!" I thought it was a major bug in the conversion of the PC game.
Sigh.

Launching Doom and seeing the Main menu screen... and the background music... Sweet!

chilvence said:

even more strikeing was the baron suicide in my first encounter, v1.2. however this was removed in later versions

My older brother loading up the game for me the first time I ever saw it.

Guys... I am over "Doomey" screaming.

The original PLDETH and PLDIEH mean nothing to me now. I have conquered my fear!
It was kinda stupid to begin with, though.