Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
m0l0t0v

Zdoom versus XP problem

I've switched to windows XP about 2 months ago and have been regretting it ever since. Now it turns out zdoom doesn't function properly under it either! grrrr!

When I start zdoom it opens in a small 320x200 window and when I increase the size to let say 640x400 the game slows down and acts all twitchy.
When I set it to full screen it freaks out and all I get is a psychedelic crashing screen.

I have used zdoom before when I still used windows95 and back then it worked fine.

Can anyone help me out here, please!
Thanks

1) Do you have up-to-date drivers? Your graphics card seems most relevant in this case, but don't forget that your motherboard has drivers too (something many people don't seem to realise).

2) Are you using the very latest version of DirectX, 9.0b?

3) Are you using the most recent version of ZDoom, 2.0.56?

BTW, about the graphical weirdness when you switch to fullscreen: this has happened to me too (in both Win '98 and 2000). But if I simply minimize and then maximize the screen, everything is fine.

Are you using the most recent version of ZDoom, 2.0.56

er... no.
I'll d/l and test it tonight!

thanks

Take some of the earlier advice....

* Update your video card drivers. (WHQL)
* Update your motherboard drivers.
* Install the latest version of DirectX.
* Update your soundcard drivers as well.
* Go to the Windows Update page.

I run Windows XP Professional and haven't had a lick of problems with running ZDoom! I run it at high resolutions as well, no bog downs. Good luck to you...:)

Cadman - Member TeamTNT

zdoom is developed on winxp, that's the os it should (and does) have the least amount of problems. go with all the suggestions in this thread so far.

also if you're running xp on an older machine you may experience some speed issues which are just due to the fact that xp isn't meant to run on machines less than 400mhz or so (not without some severe tweaking anyway, and even then it may still run slower than win98 for example)

Well, this worked on my computer with xp:

Run zdoom with the compatibility mode by pressing the right mouse button on the exe. You can then choose either win95, 98, or 2000. 2000 works maybe best on my computer.

After so many years and crap OSes like win98 and NT, Microsoft got it right with win2k. Then they messed it up again with XP.

there is a known issue with displaying full screen in XP. try searching for some solutions outside DOOM.