Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MrDoomMaster

sectors... UGH!!! HELP!

Alright, I'm getting really frustrated. I am trying to create a few sectors for doors and walking areas, but the linedefs are all attached to the wrong sectors, and there's lines connected to sectors that are supposed to be on others... it's so messed up!

There's supposed to be 5 separate sectors, but there really are no complete sectors in the map. It's really hard to explain, but if anyone is willing to take a look at the map, then post your email address and I'll email it to you if you care to look at how messed up it is.

Just go into sector mode and look at the sectors. You'll see how messed up it is.

My real question is, how do you tell which linedefs to make sectors 1, 2, 3, etc...?

To make another example... Lets say you have 8 linedefs, making a total of 2 sectors. Lines 0-3 make sector 1, and lines 4-7 make sector 2. My problem is that lines 0-4 will be sector 1 (that's 5 lines) and the rest will be sector 2!

Anyway, I'm sorry for being a newb. I'm trying to learn! Hey, we all had stupid questions somewhere along the line right? I really like doomworld, and I've been a fan of doom for years... but now that I'm learning to map, I feel like I don't fit in anymore lol. Well, good luck guys!

MrDoomMaster said:

Alright, I'm getting really frustrated. I am trying to create a few sectors for doors and walking areas, but the linedefs are all attached to the wrong sectors, and there's lines connected to sectors that are supposed to be on others... it's so messed up!

There's supposed to be 5 separate sectors, but there really are no complete sectors in the map. It's really hard to explain, but if anyone is willing to take a look at the map, then post your email address and I'll email it to you if you care to look at how messed up it is.

Just go into sector mode and look at the sectors. You'll see how messed up it is.

My real question is, how do you tell which linedefs to make sectors 1, 2, 3, etc...?

To make another example... Lets say you have 8 linedefs, making a total of 2 sectors. Lines 0-3 make sector 1, and lines 4-7 make sector 2. My problem is that lines 0-4 will be sector 1 (that's 5 lines) and the rest will be sector 2!

Anyway, I'm sorry for being a newb. I'm trying to learn! Hey, we all had stupid questions somewhere along the line right? I really like doomworld, and I've been a fan of doom for years... but now that I'm learning to map, I feel like I don't fit in anymore lol. Well, good luck guys!

you have unclosed sectors. If you look into the properties of the linedefs, you can select what sector number to refer to. Simply change the number value to determine what sector those lines should refer to.

I did this, I clicked "next available number", and it gave them that number... still, when I go to sector mode, they're the same.

I select all of the ones that make up one sector, give it a number, and then it still does it.

why is creating a door so difficult? my god... I even read the tutorials... this is crazy. Depending on what direction I have the linedefs pointing, the graphics get all screwy... it seems like I have to have the back ends pointing outwards in order for the textures to show correctly.

I have tried so much to make this work, I can't do it. Can someone tell me how to make a damn door? I need to know what I'm doing wrong. If someone could take a look at my map, that would be great.

MrDoomMaster said:

I looked at it, it didn't really help me with my problem though.

Here is what I explain in the guide for making sectors:

Now your all set to lay a few lines... Click on the 'Lines mode' button on the top of the screen. Now click the insert key ('insert' is the default key for this function) on your keyboard, which will make a floating vertice appear under your cursor. Left click on the grid and move your mouse to make a line 256 units long and click again to anchor the line with a vertice... continue this process in a clockwise pattern until you come back to the first vertice and click on it. Note how DB shows you how long your linedefs are while drawing, which is definitely a handy feature.

You need to learn to make sectors correctly or face a hoard of problems and frustration. In Doom Builder... YOU MUST START AND STOP AT THE SAME VERTICE or you'll make an unclosed sector. You can't make a few lines here, a few there and then connect the rest later. It may look like an enclosed room, but it's not unless you draw things the right way. Hope this can help you.

I find myself creating sectors in a VERY unusual way. I'll explain the proceedure below, and I hope someone can tell me an easier way to do this:

I create the first sector using lines mode. The sector is successful. My second sector I don't make seperate, I just start from one of the verticies that are already part of the sector I previously made, and I create a sector that is already using one of the lines that made up the previous sector. So, while I'm drawing the second sector with lines mode, I have to eventually create a line that goes over one of the previous 4 that made up the first sector. See how this is? Once I get to doing this to a whole bunch of others, the lines get out of perspective, and I have to manually make them into sectors.

I do this by highlighting all of the linedefs that I want to be into a sector, I go to the properties window for all of those linedefs, then I go to the tab that lets you change linedef graphics, and in the box where you can select a sector number for each sidedef, I give them all the same number, and it makes them into one sector! This really works, but it would seem very time consuming and confusing once you get into 100 sector levels.

Anyone offer some assistance?

Make sure you're drawing everything in a clockwise fashion, if you want you can send me the map and I can take a quick peek at it.

Cadman - Member TeamTNT

Nothing to look at, I just don't make each sector separate and then merge it over. I create each sector in turn, going in either counter or clockwise, and I make sure the point I created it at is where I end it, even if some lines are drawn over others. The 2 lines would then become one, a two-sided linedef.

MrDoomMaster said:

Nothing to look at, I just don't make each sector separate and then merge it over. I create each sector in turn, going in either counter or clockwise, and I make sure the point I created it at is where I end it, even if some lines are drawn over others. The 2 lines would then become one, a two-sided linedef.

It sounds like your doing it right to me from this description. I know Doom Builder is ok with drawing counter clockwise but I only tested that by drawing a few to check it out.

Its ok to overlap lines of the adjacent sector as long as you don't enter the previously drawn sector and stay on the borderlines.

I don't know what you mean by:

Once I get to doing this to a whole bunch of others, the lines get out of perspective, and I have to manually make them into sectors.

Your editor should take care of that for you if your drawing things right.