Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Thehappycommunist

if you could alter doom in any way you wanted.....

Create an altered MUS file format that can include various triggers. Thus you could make various things activate in sync with the music.

Make Doom with a simple and stable interface backed up with bug fixes, higher resolutions, 3D hardware acceleration, and support for scripting and such.

Oh wait, they already made something like that called Zdoom...

1) add a togglable overlay, at least in demo playback, that displayed the hit points of monsters/players in the game.
2) add bird's eye view demo playback... with the items marked as triangles at the very least.
3) a UI that read the headers of files to be loaded so you knew what version the demo was, or if the wad was made for Zdoom2.0.5.0, etc...
4) Doom-girl, or at least impsex

A mode similar to Max Payne 2's last man standing, only with respawning ammo/health. The chaosftn level for Hexen was a neat and similar idea.

I'd replace the hanging Keens with impaled Thehappycommunists.

But I already CAN alter Doom in any way I want..?

BTW, removed your custom title since it broke forum layout.

Nanami said:
What was up with that title anyway?

Dunno. I'm still hoping someone is going to protest for removing it so I know who did it and yell at him and stuff.

I'd leave DOOM exactly as it is. The real challenge is altering the reality of Real Life (TM) to find the time to play every single WAD out there. 36 hours a day would be real nice ...

higher resolutions . . . Oh wait, they already made something like that called Zdoom...

Yeah, but it still uses Doom's renderer. Nearly useless.

Add an original boss to E4M8, instead of another spider.

I thought E4M8 kicked ass.

Completely redo E3M8. I have always found that map to be a slap in the face after travelling so long to get there.

It ought at least to have a proper "foreplay" like E1M8.

Ubik said:

MORE COWBELL

You must have seen SNL... Cool!

But any way?

I would alow you to pick up bodies, and then turn into them.... Be a cacodemon or something.... I would also add a The Doom-girl and mabey a humve thing ( like in halo)

Completely redo E3M8. I have always found that map to be a slap in the face after travelling so long to get there.

Yeah, that too.

E4 was nice, with nine new difficult gothic maps, but shouldn't they have some textures and flats, and a couple new enemies?
And how about a super secret E5M1?

Well, I wouldn't have changed anything in Doom, but if I made a mod, I'd simply add the Rifle (make the bayonet a melee weapon that replaces the fists) and add a second BFG, the BFG 2704. I'd probably also add the Unmaker and Dark Claw.

The point of E4 was to show how bad-ass you can make a set of levels using the original Doom resources and enemies. Given that I can think of *one* place offhand where those wood textures were used in the original Doom, I think they did a pretty good job. I think they succeeded immensely.

Thehappycommunist said:

what would you do? play as a cacodemon, create a sniper rifle? choose

Or even.. play as a cacodemon WITH a sniper rifle!

I'm gonna be hated for saying this...

I'd make a Doom Counter-Strike mod so I could play "CS" on my 486...

but that's a complete mod, so I guess it doesn't count... :\

Use MOD music instead of MIDI. I wanted the source port music to sound EXACTLY the way the origional DOS doom did. Not just an apprximation with similar instruments, EXACTLY!

And John Romero should have done all the maps so we wouldn't see any visual attrocities like E4. DOOM ][ and DOOM E4 may play better, but DOOM E1 had the best atmosphere. Ever.