Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Grazza

Hell2Pay demos (new demoset project)

A new demoset is under way, on the Limited Edition (i.e. the free demo version) of Hell2Pay. This is the first 15 levels of a 32-level commercial megawad.

The wad can be downloaded here. Source-port users can load the file HTP-LTD.WAD direct from the zip. To run the wad with Doom2.exe you will need to install it using the program install.exe included in the zip. This gives you a wad called Hell2pay.wad.

Demos recorded with HTP-LTD.WAD play back OK with Hell2pay.wad and vice versa.

So far I have done preliminary UV Max demos on map10, map11 (in this thread - I'll improve upon them) and map15 (see below) and Rich has recorded on map09 and map13.

Everyone is welcome to submit demos. We're looking to make a full set of UV Max demos, but feel free to record other categories too.

(Note: map14 features ghost monsters, so will not play correctly in Legacy.)

EDIT: The UV Max demoset is now complete, unless anyone has any further improvements they wish to make (I'm not aware of anyone who does).

Grazza said:

Map15 UV Max, 7:31. A rather untidy but quite exciting demo, with low health at many points.

That was a fun lmp. :) Right on the edge several times.

Haven't downloaded the wad yet, will do that this evening. I'll take a slot now anyway. Let's look at the random number generator - that will be MAP05 :)

Due to the lack of time it may take a few days to produce a decent demo so please be patient :)

cool, someone needs to throw together a really shit web page with a reference table for times and shit. unless you can do it in here by continually editing the first post, graz. i'll play through it and try to find a map or three that suit me :-)

Is the maps good for pacifist? I haven't been able to download it yet.
Edit: now I am able to. :)

Donce said:

Haven't downloaded the wad yet, will do that this evening. I'll take a slot now anyway. Let's look at the random number generator - that will be MAP05 :)

Cool, that's good.

Angus said:

I did the following maxes (all recorded with doom2.exe):
- Map01 in 0:57
- Map02 in 3:47
- Map03 in 2:51

That's fine. Doom2 is good. :)

cycloid said:

i'll play through it and try to find a map or three that suit me :-)

Good but just pick one at a time. Something that hasn't been completed and post the map number you choose. That way someone else can pick another.

At this point the following maps have been completed/reserved:

Completed:

hy01 Angus
hy02 Angus
hy03 Angus
hy04 Rich
hy05 Donce
hy06 Rich
hy07 cycloid
hy08 Rich
hy09 Rich
hy10 Grazza
hy11 Grazza
hy12 Vile
hy13 Rich
hy14 Angus
hy15 Grazza

Reserved:

Wow, what an excellent response. :)

I don't think we need anything as elaborate as a website. As long as this thread is kept up to date (thanks, Rich!), I think that is sufficient.

With this level of interest, I think I'll just concentrate on improving the three I've already chosen.

Torn: I've never tried these maps pacifist-style, but imagine it would be very difficult indeed on most of them. Off-hand, I can't think of any where it would be a complete physical impossibility though. There are often quite tight spaces, and invulnerabilities are rare (there might not be any, in fact - I can't remember). If you want something tough, Nightmare might be a better option. This is mentioned in the text-file as "...designed for the World's Best only!", so presumably some effort was made to avoid anything that rules out NM.

Grazza said:
With this level of interest, I think I'll just concentrate on improving the three I've already chosen.
[/B]

I may simply try and improve on maps 6 & 8. However, if interest wanes I'll pick another.

[QUOTE]Angus Thermopyle said:
[B]I did the following maxes (all recorded with doom2.exe):
- Map01 in 0:57
- Map02 in 3:47
- Map03 in 2:51

Very nice. I enjoyed all three. :)

Thx, Rich :)
I'm also working on Map14 (actual time is 2:53), but I have problem with secrets. zdoom says there are 2 secrets, but I cannot find any. And deth crushes when loading hell2pay.
Does anybody know where these secrets are, or which editor to use?

BTW. It's very easy not to wake the Archie ---> no problem with ghosts.

Angus

Angus Thermopyle said:

Visit Yonatan Donner's homepage, he has written a very good [DOS] application DMTHA: DooM Things Analyzer, and there's DooM Secret Locator included as a separate exe. It just shows the secret sector numbers, then you fire up your favorite editor and click on search tool. Voila, you've found the secrets! :)

Oh yeah, i forgot the link, it's here:

http://www.geocities.com/Hollywood/4704/

I know where they are, but am not too sure how to reach them (I'll post again - prob. with a nomo - if I work it out). You can see them for yourself if you run the map in prboom/glboom. If you iddt+iddt, then you see them as purple-coloured in the automap (I think that's the default colour for secret sectors, anyway).

I've looked at Hell2Pay in WadAuthor without any problems.

Angus Thermopyle said:

The two secrets are the ledges on both sides of the crusher. The blue key is on one of them.

Just tried. It's impossible to get them. Even if you jump you can't fit on the ledges so you can't cross the linedefs.

here's my foot in the door for map07, the time is, frankly, rubbish. i lost about a minute in the red key/invuln area. dohhh.

edit: just watched all the other demos, nice work people! there certainly seems to be a lot of pinky + ssg action in all the maps.

hy071352.zip

cycloid said:

here's my foot in the door for map07, the time is, frankly, rubbish. i lost about a minute in the red key/invuln area. dohhh.

Very nice start! I hadn't looked at all the levels and that's obviously a pretty large one. Tough maintaining speed in those type maps but you seem to be doing well. I like it. :)

There's a lot of quality in these demos already. I can see I'm going to have to improve mine quite a lot so as not to let the team down. :) [edit]Map 10 down to 1:40.[/edit]

Angus's map01 demo gets things off to a very smooth start. If only he could also have shown us the spaceships without losing time...

cycloid: I agree with Rich that your map07 demo is a good start - it's a big map with lots to see and do. If you find you're missing that jump so often it becomes annoying, I suggest (if you haven't already done so) practising the jump over and over again with -nomonsters until your success rate improves.

I wasn't seriously suggesting you should re-record just to show us the spaceships, you know. :)

The map14 demo looks great.

Angus Thermopyle said:

I did Map14 in 2:33.
Thank you all for your help with the secrets :)

And, Grazza, before I do Map01 again (the jump to the armor secret is annoying as hell), I'll watch the other demos and the new DSDA stuff :)

Very nice demo!

Not sure if you've downloaded any yet but I've updated maps 6 & 8 in the event your watching the other demos.

Here's a run for map12. Damn this one was irritating on the route I used, but it just took some time to figure out why all the monsters weren't being accounted for.

hy12-240.zip

Heh, things are really going fast with this demoset, it's nearly done! Damn that real life things, I truly hate working on weekends.

I already have a demo for map05 but wanna still improve it and will try to do that now. If all goes well, I'll post it in 2 hours or so.

OK so here is the demo, MAP05 recorded with the original doom2.exe, time is 5:46.

Now I'll have to play other levels and watch other demos :)

hy05-546.zip

Grazza said:

Torn: I've never tried these maps pacifist-style, but imagine it would be very difficult indeed on most of them. Off-hand, I can't think of any where it would be a complete physical impossibility though. There are often quite tight spaces, and invulnerabilities are rare (there might not be any, in fact - I can't remember). If you want something tough, Nightmare might be a better option. This is mentioned in the text-file as "...designed for the World's Best only!", so presumably some effort was made to avoid anything that rules out NM.

Oh, I am not much for nm, I suck pretty much to it. I will if I can do another type of demo.

Wow, we only just started, but we're almost finished already. Only map04 to go, and of course some people intend to improve upon demos they have already recorded.

This wad is proving popular; would there be any interest in doing a set of UV Speed demos (or some other category) too?