Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Sephiroth

mother board from hell!!

i am currently seeing what i can squeeze out of a pentium 133 i had laying around. saddly i have no idea on how to overclock an older mother board, well i do know how just this board is very strange. This mother board must have been made when dell wanted to keep the business and here is why. first it has one of those lame svga build in cards. second it has that damn bridge thing(the cards go onto a smaller board that has many ISA and PCI slots that then connect throught some smaller "bridge" like board to the mother board, I am sure the device has many advantages but it is a bitch to remove to look at mother). second I belive it can only work with one type of CPU, a 133MHz pentium. Most motherboards from this year could take as small as 66mhz up to 200mhz so i tried a AMD 200MHZ and it did not work, however the AMD worked in another computer very good. As for over clocking the bastard all i could find that would help me was 3 jumper places with the fallowing 50mhz, 60mhz, 66mhz. 66mhz was being used, I think this may be BUS speed and may have nothing to do with the CPU, but i may be wrong and i hope i am.

you know i was looking at the top of the webpage and saw an advertisement for a movie called driven that sounds really stupid. allso drivin is the name of a parody game making fun of rivin the sequal to myst. you all remember pyst right? it was an awful game, er... not that i would waste my hard earned money on it.

oh yeah, good luck with that mother board thing. i couldnt understand a dang thing you wrote. i am cpu building illiterate. no, hold on. did i say that right?

oh yeah, hurray for doom

socket7 right? how the fuck?? i understand freezing the cpu to below subzero temps would do the trick but isnt there a way to oc it another way?

3 jumper places with the fallowing 50mhz, 60mhz, 66mhz. 66mhz was being used, I think this may be BUS speed

Right, that's the bus speed. So like now when one O'clocks from 66 fsb to 100, it changes the cpu speed, but in your case only a little. The mb (daughter) style was shared by some others. You can get a newer Dell P200 complete for $65 (same style mb). The later models have jumpers showing P133, P166, P200. These actually change the multiplier (not fsb).

I don't remember the early Dells, but yours sounds the same as the later models. Notice the nice integration with serial/parallel ports all on the mb. They were actually predecessors to todays new mb's.

Those boards which were made for 133mhz cpu´s cannot work with MMX chips. Make sure that the 200 mhz is not of the MMX type. Look for the manufacturer of the board and then go to their page. Asus, for example, has manuals for most of their discontinued boards available online.

Those boards which were made for 133mhz cpu´s cannot work with MMX chips.

Right. Not knowing how old his mb is, it's even possible that he just got lucky with the 133. The "jumpers" imply his was one of the first mbs for a Pentium. The original Pentium was 5v, then 3.3 and then mmx had a "split" voltage.

i belive i have figure it out. The board, as far as i know, can take a maximum of 133mhz. and here is why, the 3 jumper settings i belive are for the multiplier. 50mhz x 2 =100mhz 60 x 2=120mhz and 66 x 2 =133(well 132 but the sytem rounds up 1) so this cheap board can only use 3 flavors of original pentium. Now for the AMD chip, this is a bit strange too. I placed it into a motherboard that had a 133. However when i start up the PC the bios says the computer has a 486DX/66mhz cpu but it is running at 200mhz. Also it is MMX compadible and not "split voltage" it has a core of 3.3 as do the 2 pentium chips i have. I belive that a normal MMX pentium is 3.3 but at that time there was the short live pentiumPRO that was split voltage and used MMX. i know normal pentiums had MMX but it was more common to see a pentiumPRO used. It would be like pentium3 and pentium 4 being out at the same time, both have the same clock speeds and some similarities. The pentiumPRO was killed off by pentium2. anyway is there any sites out there that give instructions on overclocking older PC parts

Keep it simple - no need to guess. Just go to the Intel site where I refreshed my memory:

http://www.intel.com/sites/corporate/search.htm?iid=intelhome+search&

search for "pentium voltage"

I have a 233mhz Pent 1 on a socket 7.. The idiots got all the clock jumpers backwards. So the slowest setting = 66mhz. A socket 7 can only go upto 66mhz bus speed, I would not recommend OC it.. Just get a new Mobo.. only $100 or 150.

anyway is there any sites out there that give instructions on overclocking older PC parts

You don't overclock the older PC's the way you do the new ones: see http://www.overclockers.com/ for the new.

For the old, it's mostly a question of whether increasing the multiplier will work. Depending on when they were made, you can get various success doing this. So, for example, the last set of P166s will usually readily run as a P233 by changing the multiplier since by that time manufacturing was so good that almost all chips made were equal.

For some of the older pentiums that ran the same multiplier it did involve a change in bus speed as you noted (and some other oddballs too, like the P75).

http://www.intel.com/pressroom/kits/quickreffam.htm#pentium has a list.

Btw, the frequency is actually 66.66666.. so you end up with 133.333333.. That's even true today. The numbers are rounded for expendiency in marketing/docs. The base freq is actually 33.33333.. for the PCI bus. It can be less, but "stock" specs are never more.

The newer chips are "multiplier-locked" so the only way to overclock is to change the fsb. Historically, I think Intel starting locking with the P200.

Your mb does not offer any way to change the multiplier so it's best to get another mb. However, you can get a PII + mb for almost nothing (< $100).

It's a fun hobbie to learn with, but it's not economical to to "buy" anything for very old stuff. Look/ask for someone with an old mb they don't want?