Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
999cop

lighting (for people who can deal with WA pretty well)

Before I start asking my real question, I'd like to inform viewers who are reading this post that wadauthor is the only DOOM editor I have on my hardware in the meantime since I have lost the internet access at home. This only matters as for now...I hope.

My question is quite simple, basically. Since the only editor I'm using right now is Wadauthor, and I can't figure out if there is another explaination to this occurance, therefore I could only come to one conclusion is that it is one of the flaws of this editor. The trouble with the map is the lighting on a part of the wall does not match with the rest part of the wall while the whole sector is applied with the same property, so I'm assuming this is the fault of Wadauthor?

If WA could change the lighting for a single line it would be pretty amazing. Sounds like you have an unclosed sector, and that line is referenced to a sector with different lighting. But yeah, show us a screenie if you can.

I would love to help you to understand more about my situation by showing with a screenshot, but right now I don't have the wad with me. So I suppose I will just have to wait until next weekend then bring the thread back up, again.

I'd like to point out that WA doesn't catch everything in its open sector check. It will, for instance, dismiss a self-refrencing sector as closed. I'd say check the offending wall line and all its surrounding lines, see if they refrence the sectors they should. Also try using sector mode (S) and hovering over each sector you made, just to see if they LOOK closed...

As I promised I would return this week along with some screenshots and here they are below:

http://members.tripod.de/lamedoom/reborn

pm: I always make sure sectors are closed in my maps and they all are, plus all linedefs are facing to the same way, unless there is an error slipped through the detector in WadAuthor which might be something I don't know of...

Hey 999cop,
This is not a wadauthor problem and really not a problem at all but an annoyance in the game i deal with all the time. it has to do with a line that is perfectly staight east and west or north and south lined up with other lines that are not. The easy and only solution to this is to very slightly change the e-w or n-s lines. Just move one vertex of the line 2 units and your problem will be solved.
Chris

Normal. This is something the Doom engine is doing. Not Wadauthor. It is more obvious at certain light levels or with certain textures. Light grey is particularly bad for this sort of thing.

As soon as I saw the curving walls in the screenshot I realized what the problem is. It's as ChrisC and Stphrz say -- a wall that is aligned along the x or y axis of your editor will display lighting that is different from the adjacent walls.