Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Sephiroth

december 10th classic

if you want to go classic on december 10th but use win2000/XP then here are a few things to do.

1. if you can and still have that old system, or an old system. dust it off and boot it up.

2. make an old system, score 486/pentium parts for about $10. and build that classic setup and a baisc server.

3. what i have been telling you do do for so long. make a partion. anyware from 500MB to 2GB (unless you really need more). format it as fat16 or 32. you can install MS-DOS if you like but i would recomend freedos.

FreeDOS works better on new systems and can use fat 12, 16 and 32. 80% of software out there can run under it and 95% of games will work with no issues. you can use a floppy to boot into the system or something like lilo/grub. the only tricky part may be sound drivers. however most cards can work. i have gotten SB-live to work, AC97/soundmax and a few others to work. chances are the card may come with drivers, if not someone has written some for it. Doom works exelent in freedos. however stuff that is tricky about it.
windows 3.1 can work but you need to toy with it. mainly the XMS drivers. some things may get a bit bitchy. however it is usally a simple setting. and freedos has a utility to slow a system down to 486 level. it also has a number of graphics programs. these mimic older and odd graphics modes.
also cd-drives can be a bit bitchy
format is kinda wierd at time
scandisk does not seem to work, well

I dont recomend a emulator. i have yet to find one that is nice for windows. the freeDOS method is the best so far for going old school. and in the long run much less time consuming and frustrating than a emulator, unless you want win3.11 to work

Heh. For a fairly long time, I thought doom was released on the 10th of November, and stoped short of posting a big, HAPPY BIRTHDAY DOOM@!@!@!@!@! post on that date.

Sephiroth said:

heh, i always thought it was october 10th.

That was the release date of Doom 2 in '94.

If you really want to "go classic", then having XP isn't an obstacle. Just use the PC speaker for sound effects. Back in 1993, by no means everyone had a sound card. It was early 1995 before I got one.

Considering I had shareware from the time I first played Doom in early '94 to December '96 when I finally bought Ultimate Doom, Ep1 is the only "classic" for me.

Considering that I have 4 486 mahcines, 1 386 and 2 pentiums I doubt this will be a problem at all... :D

Hell, I'll invite my buddies to play Doom deathmatch on 486s!

On a BNC (Coaxial cable) network of course!

Erik said:

yeah, and that's only a fraction of his total 4,486 machines.

Heh, I'm speechless!

Damn you people! ;)

But seriously. I didn't include any of the computers I have in my garage. :P