Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Bloodshedder

Desktop of Doom

In an amazing feat of resurrection, Thomas Sturm has released a new version of his DesktopDoom project. Version 2.0.57 of this Doom-based screensaver is now based on ZDoom 2.0.57, as opposed to Boom in the days of yore, and now focuses on bot deathmatch instead of demo playback. There's also some other changes, so be sure to read them before you get it.

fp

and omg I didn't realize this project was still even going.

It only took me three years or so to get off my arse and do it :).

Well I guess I haven't missed any updates.

This is nice. I didn't used to have a screensaver, but now I have mine set for plutonia map 7 for some nice carnage. :D

Heh, this is pretty cool. Best screensaver I've ever had. The sound's a bit buggy when I try and set the volume too high though.

Mancubus II said:

and omg I didn't realize this project was still even going.

Even I didn't know this project was still going until a week ago ;).

AgentSpork said:

The sound's a bit buggy when I try and set the volume too high though.

Do you have the same problem with ZDoom 2.0.57? I haven't touched the sound code, so it might not be a problem I've introduced.

Quast said:

It's funny, because the zdoom bots are dumb as all hell.

That's what makes it so fun to watch. Their stupidity is hilarious.

You know, I was thinking about this just a few days ago. I had no idea such a project actually existed.

Destroyer said:

That's what makes it so fun to watch. Their stupidity is hilarious.

Hehe yeah, they barely kill anything and just run around in circles trapped by themselves, its funny because they are such silly putties. It's like watching a bunch of flies trapped in a glass. :D

DesktopDoom is awesome now, the old one was good too, I still have it, but the only problem was it played only one music track and the screen size was too small. But this one is awesomely awesome. :D

pickle965 said:

The next version should broadcast live DM games on active servers.

I've considered this before, but I'm not sure if server operators would be too happy with their servers being filled with inactive players :). Something like Half-Life TV would probably be appropriate here, but I don't really have the time or know how to implement such a thing.

BTW, thankyou everyone for the positive feedback. I'll look into making improving the bots, but I can't promise anything...

Heh, I feel sorry for the bots after looking through their eyes for an extended period of time. Poor bastards can never find their way out of the exit room in Map01.

This is great though. It's now my permanent screensaver.

If you're looking to include improved bots, you might want to ask Carnevil if you can use the ones from Skulltag (once he gets them working again anyway).

Shouldn't be too hard considering that both ports are based on the more recent versions of ZDoom.

...or see if you can't just base the screensaver off skulltag entirely. :)

I got the screensaver to work, except it doesn't. You see, it works fine in preview and I followed all the directions. The only problem is that it won't start on it's own. What can I do?