Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
fraggle

Freedoom 0.2

I'm planning to do a Freedoom 0.2 release on the 10th December to celebrate Doom's 10th birthday.

If you have anything you particularly want in the 0.2 release you should submit it and email me before then. The earlier the better as I'm quite busy at the moment.

It would be nice if some of the bugs could be fixed before then.

Cool, good to here things are still clicking along. Maybe a little news will respark peoples desire to get this project fully realized.

Bugs:

MAP20 rendering bug: probably the only way to fix this is to remove it. :-\

Imp has no explosion frames: I couldn't draw my way out of a paper back, wish I could help.

MAP10 door: Should be an easy fix, get ahold of the author and kick them in the ass. :)

If you can you should also run all teh maps through zennode before you release them as in Legacy there are some nasty GL holes otherwise.

I was considering to submit a modified (retextured) version of my FBase6 to FreeDoom. Any thought/objections about that?

I don't see why there'd be a problem with that, a few of us submitted our levels to the archives at the same time as we did to Freedoom. And I think Freedoom could benefit from a map as nice as FBase 6 :)

boris said:

I was considering to submit a modified (retextured) version of my FBase6 to FreeDoom. Any thought/objections about that?

That would be cool, its a really nice level. I see what you mean about texturing though - the greens dont quite match up..

fraggle said:

the greens dont quite match up..

WHAT YOU SAY !!!
I think it looks pretty good as it is, but I was thinking to replace the ZIMMER2 textures with ROCKRED1 (and replace the floor textures too) to make it look somewhat hellish. Just to make it different from the original FBase6.

Linguica said:

So are the Freedoom guns centered or to the side or what?

To dig out a quote from the past,

Brilliant fucking deduction, Ghandi!

Carnevil said:

To dig out a quote from the past,

Brilliant fucking deduction, Ghandi!

I do believe it was "amazing" not brilliant

oh yeah and HURR HURR HURR YOU IS FUNNY

Eh. Non-centered projectile-firing weapons are going to look fucking awful. How about we pretend that "plasma rifle" up there is the chaingun? :)

Um, non-centered projectile firing sprites have always looked just fine to me. My only complaint with them is that when you have a mix of centered and non-centered weapons it just feels really inconsistent.

Arioch said:

Eh. Non-centered projectile-firing weapons are going to look fucking awful. How about we pretend that "plasma rifle" up there is the chaingun? :)

They don't look bad if the gun is only slightly off center. The father to the sides the gun is drawn the worse it gets from doom's terrible headbob. It's no worse than running and firing with a centered plasmagun and having shots fire from the side of the barrel rather than the center.

Besides... Someone should fix Zdoom so that weapons return to their base offset when the gun is fired, rather than stay where the gun was when bobbing.

Scuba Steve said:

They don't look bad if the gun is only slightly off center. The father to the sides the gun is drawn the worse it gets from doom's terrible headbob. It's no worse than running and firing with a centered plasmagun and having shots fire from the side of the barrel rather than the center.

This is a stupid argument, since it is obviously an opinion like Arioch's.

Scuba Steve said:

This isn't a silly statement: indeed, since the projectiles _always_ look off-centre when strafing, the weapon being slightly off-centre isn't a problem, as you say.

Scuba Steve said:

Whatever I want. I am Freedoom.

Watch the size of that head, there.

Going back on topic for a second, if anyone has anything they really want in this release, please have it ready by Tuesday. Thanks.

Please run the maps through zennode so they don't look goofy in Legacy. :)

Hope it's not too late... here is the retextured version. Thanks to Fredrik for writing the small OMGIFOL script for retexturing :)
Besides the textures I also added a few monsters, but that's ofcourse subject to change, depending on where it will end up in the wad. I'd like to see it as one of the later levels.

Sooner or later I'll also retexture map02, it's all bricks sucks :P

Freedoom 0.2 released, you can download the files from the Sourceforge download page .. thanks, everyone!

Nevermind, just got fraggle's latest e-mail =)

I should probably start checking more often, I just sifted through 528 e-mails.