Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MrDoomMaster

Make event happen upon monster kill?

Hey guys, Just wondering how I can make a door or something else trigger when a certain group of monsters are killed.

I know this is possible because if you take a look at the level "Redemption Denied" on the PSX version of doom, the Spider Master Minds are not released until all of the Barons of Hell are destroyed.

Anyway, if someone could tell me how to do this I would be appreciative! Thanks.

In Doom map E1M8, the walls lower whenever both of the Barons of Hell are killed. That particular wall sector has a tag of 666. In Doom 2 on map 7, the walls lower when the last Mancubus is killed (same tag number). Then, when the last Arachnotron is killed, the stair around the exit raises by 24. That sector tag is 667. Finally, when all of the hanging Commander Keens are killed in map 32, the door opens. That sector tag is 666. However, all of these tricks (except maybe the Commander Keen one) work on those specific maps. They won't work anywhere else.

Ichor said:

Then, when the last Arachnotron is killed, the stair around the exit raises by 24.

I think it's raising by the sector's lower texture's height.

You can't "program a configuration file". You'd either have to edit the source yourself or use a source port (like ZDoom) that already has this functions added.

Ichor said:

However, all of these tricks (except maybe the Commander Keen one) work on those specific maps. They won't work anywhere else.

The Keen effect not only works on all maps - if you put the code pointer that performs it into another monster it will work there, too. It opens a door when all monsters of this type are dead. This will work in vanilla Doom and all source ports except Legacy.

So what do I have to do to make this work? I already started making a map, set to use doom2.wad. I need to be able to make certain doors open after X monsters die

Job said:

Yeah. Can I make something open after a baron dies in Doom2?

Sadly not, at least not using sector tag 666 in this way.

When a baron dies it calls a function named A_BossDeath. This fairly tortuous piece of code says right at the beginning that

• if the game mode is commercial (ie. doom2, tnt or plutonia)
  • and the thing that just died is not a mancubus or an arachnotron
  • and the map number is not seven
then it stops and returns immediately. Barons don't get a look in.

Is there a tag I can use to get something to open after the death of something that's not Commander Keen in Doom2?

not with doom2.exe, unless you assign the cmdr keen code pointers to another monster with dehacked

mancubi in map07 will lower a floor tagged 666, and arachnotrons will raise a floor tagged 667 to the height of the lower texture (also on map07) but that's it for doom2

Cyb said:

not with doom2.exe, unless you assign the cmdr keen code pointers to another monster with dehacked

mancubi in map07 will lower a floor tagged 666, and arachnotrons will raise a floor tagged 667 to the height of the lower texture (also on map07) but that's it for doom2

And for the mancubus thing, it has to be, without exception, map07, eh? Hm...