Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Linguica

Gamespy's Doom Stuff

Surprised no one else mentioned it yet, but the good folks over at Gamespy have been doing a 10 Years of Hell thingy with reviews and articles and screenshots and such, in commemoration of Doom's ten year anniversary which is- tomorrow? Ah crap, I better get back to work.

fp props to all logged in people who care! (hey cool, 33)

I really need to do something for tomorrow.

I know it doesn't help anything, but if it's any concellation, I tried sending you guys an e-mail (news-at-doomworld.com) yesterday about this, but it bounced right back... like so many before it.

Their articles are actually ok, nothing we don't know, though.

c-cooper said:

I know it doesn't help anything, but if it's any concellation, I tried sending you guys an e-mail (news-at-doomworld.com) yesterday about this, but it bounced right back... like so many before it.

Their articles are actually ok, nothing we don't know, though.

What address did it say nounced?

I sent via the link in the navigation-bar. I never have any problems sending mails to anyone. Just news@doomworld.com...

I've deleted the bounced-back e-mail but yes, I seem to recall Ling's being mentioned.

Haha yes, red screen with ouch face is a dead giveaway (amongst other things). Still, the screenshot page was credited to "Benjamin Turner & ZDoom".

Ultraviolet said:

OMG Those screenshots are from ZDOOM, yet he tried to make it look oldschool by turning off the crosshair and all that.

Heh, yeah, he really should have reduced the resolution AT LEAST

Assmaster said:

They only gave Ultimate Doom 4/5 stars...

I also thought it funny that this was partially because of a comparison to its sequel... rather strange, though I agree that the level design faltered in parts.

I wonder what would have happened if they gave Doom a bad review on there...or rather, how many death threats they would have recieved. At least 300 from me, I know. :P

Grazza said:

Haha yes, red screen with ouch face is a dead giveaway (amongst other things). Still, the screenshot page was credited to "Benjamin Turner & ZDoom".

What gave it away for me was the bloodsplat on the walls. I didn't know that the red screen with ouch face was a ZDoom specific thing...

Vile said:

I also thought it funny that this was partially because of a comparison to its sequel... rather strange, though I agree that the level design faltered in parts.

Yeah that review was a joke. Although yeah, it did falter in every single Sandy Petersen map. But Doom II faltered in EVERY map and it managed 5/5 :P

Gamespy said:

No one does TCs anymore ... That brings a tear to my eye.

Gamespy wouldn't know a TC if Action DooM came and bit them on the ass. I should spam their forums with Action DooM Ads.

Hah, you can never, ever please the "hardcore" Internet fans. I've seen it so much that it just makes me smile now. :)

I'm surprised some of you guys would rather have crappy 320x200 shots. Sure, it's authentic, but who cares? For the purposes of this feature it's better to actually be able to see some detail instead of having to squint to make out a far-off texture.

Anyway, I hope you guys are deriving some tiny bit of enjoyment from our week-long series.

Heh, well I'm glad you put something together :) Sure it's stuff we've seen and some of us might not agree with all of it but it's nice you didn't forget completely about it :P

You think we're the hardcore ones? I think not.

What I would expect from your users if you posted 320x200 shots are some stupid questions wondering why they're so small. Of course I can see why you used a higher resolution.

Ultraviolet said:

What gave it away for me was the bloodsplat on the walls.

Not to mention the fading HUD messages in the upper left of some shots.

I'm sure everyone is happy with the attention Doom is getting this week, even moreso with new stuff continuing to pop up for such an old game. I don't get the screenshot nitpick but I did think my comment was accurate, but that's still just a nitpick. Keep up the great work! <- sounds like I'm trying to redeem myself here, but the people behind the articles decided to drop by and see how the fans are reacting, so we can thank you personally. Welcome to the community. :)

I didn't have a problem with the resolution except that you decided to use 640x480 rather than 640x400, since the game was originally in 320x200 and the former stretches the screenshots out a bit.

Ultraviolet said:

I didn't know that the red screen with ouch face was a ZDoom specific thing...

It is one of those weird little bugs that Zdoom has fixed. The ouch face was presumably meant to appear when the player loses more than 20% health all at once. However, due to a coding error, it only appears when the player takes some damage at the same time as his health increases overall by more than 20%.