Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
TwiNCannoN

Who else ph33rs doom3?

Ok, so I was playing this horribly lame q3a single player (yes, quake3 and single player in the same line - I know, always leads to tragedy) mod. It, for the most part, consisted of a couple of bad looking spaceship and forest maps, and klesks spawning and attacking you.

This lame mod made me jump a couple of times. If anyone needs me after doom3, I'll be in the mental ward.

So, who else? :X

I know what you mean. I played the alpha a few times and it got me very scared. And that was just the alpha. I'll be playing it though. I love a good experience, even if it's a terrifying one.

Truth me told, I HATE HATE HATE horror stuff (Being scared isn't much fun), but I'll probably get Doom3 anyway.

TwiNCannoN said:

It, for the most part, consisted of a couple of bad looking spaceship and forest maps, and klesks spawning and attacking you.

What mod are you talking about ?

Yes. I actually think Doom3 will be too scary at times. AFAIK it scares even the developers. That's when you know it's REALLY scary!

Lord FlatHead said:

What mod are you talking about ?

I believe it was called Outpost.

Also, stupid things like zombies coming back to life behind me scares the crap out of me. I wonder if doom3 is going to have a nightmare skill level that's actually true to it's name? :) My worst "scare pet peeve" if you will, though, if being chased by something you can't kill (like the one boss in resident evil, name escapes me). That KILLS me.

I don't know if it'll scare me yet - it probably will though - but one thing I know for sure is that I can't wait to fill those bloated zombies with lead and smack those imps across their face for their rude behaviour :-P

If for some reason a computer game scares me, I usually think 'relax! it's a goodamn game!!'. Then it all is teh cool again. Works for me. :)

TwiNCannoN said:

Ok, so I was playing this horribly lame q3a single player (yes, quake3 and single player in the same line - I know, always leads to tragedy) mod.

Can you imagine that it´s quite hard to pull of a decent Singleplayer mod for a game that is Multiplayer only?

There is another Q3 Singleplayer mod out, The Dark Conjunction. It´s quite cool, it has a H.P. Lovecraft theme and is overall better then Outpost.

If i was going to buy a doom game to get scared i'd be better off starting a collection of the bubble bobble series. They've got a scarier selection of horror games.

ie No, despite the fact that i've tried the doom 3 alpha.

I tend to get jumpy in most games involving zombies in general, let alone ones hurling chainsaws, plus the demons and hell, etc!

I won't be jumping much through Doom 3, but that's because most every time I'll probably be playing it with a friend. I also might be too busy admiring the amazing scenery too be scared by a few trite swarms here and there.

From the trailer from doom3.com, and from interviews, etc, I'd say that Doom 3 will have it's scary moments, but a good deal of the time playing will be spent gunning your brains out, room after room.

And that's GOOD.

But there's no question there will be scary stuff, too.

insertwackynamehere said:

I don't like getting scared, but in Doom 3, you have a shotgun :-P

HAPPY BIRTHDAY "DOOM"!!!!!

Didn't you say happy birthday in some other thread on the doom 3 boards?

For me getting scared in video games is really entertaining and satisfying :) So far only a few games had some cool scary moments to offer: Doom, Blood (it always had a humorous touch but still managed to be gloomy), Resident Evil 1, System Shock 2.

Heh. When you're home alone (Doesn't apply to those who live alone already), turn off all the lights and play doom 3 with surround sound speakers. That should raise a few hairs.

Not Sennheisers :X

Seriously, I just bought a pair of sennheisers and they have to be the most amazing sound-based experience I've ever had. Even loading up OLDER games I'm hearing things I've never heard before.. incredible headphones. Beats the hell out of my 5.1 klipche's. But the biggest thing is being able to play loud without waking the girlfriend up haha :P

Btw, Tetz, agreed @ system shock 2. That game was freaky as hell. It's a shame LGS is dead :\ The only way I could stand beating SS2 without taking breaks and such was cooperatively, lol.. I'm such a wuss.

TwiNCannoN said:

Seriously, I just bought a pair of sennheisers and they have to be the most amazing sound-based experience I've ever had. Even loading up OLDER games I'm hearing things I've never heard before.. incredible headphones. Beats the hell out of my 5.1 klipche's. But the biggest thing is being able to play loud without waking the girlfriend up haha :P

W00t! My headphones are Sennheisers :-P
Had many positive hours out of those without bothering anyone else with the noise ;-)

TwiNCannoN said:

Klipsch speakers aren't even close to the top reference line. Gimme a Sennheiser headphone that can beat this in terms of sound quality.

dsm said:

W00t! My headphones are Sennheisers :-P
Had many positive hours out of those without bothering anyone else with the noise ;-)

I'm thinking of getting some Sennheiser headphones for Christmas, what model are yours and how much did they cost? I've having a hard time decideing between the various models.

Livo said:

I'm thinking of getting some Sennheiser headphones for Christmas, what model are yours and how much did they cost? I've having a hard time decideing between the various models.

My headphones seem to be a model HD 570 - can't help you with the price since I got them as a Christmas/bday present sometime last year.

Klipsch speakers aren't even close to the top reference line. Gimme a Sennheiser headphone that can beat this in terms of sound quality.

Arrh what the Hell - as long as my headphones ensure a decent to good Doom 3 experience, all the sound devices in the world could be better for all I care.

HD-280's are probably the most popular "best buy for your money" deal. They have great sound/bass, and they may as well boast sound cancellation since they damper it so much. If you look around you can find a pair for like 75-85$.

Cool looking speakers, also. Probably way out of a price even fathomable in my head so I'll stay away :) I know Sennheiser makes a pair of reference headphones (or something like it? not sure how it works). http://www.sennheiserusa.com/pages/products/headphones/index.htm - click on premier, then orpheus. Note the price tag, also. :)

'Lo. This is my first post here in a long time, I've been a quiet semi-lurker under several different names. [/endintroduction]

Back to the original topic, Doom 3 is one scary piece of work. The night I played through the alpha, I needed to keep the lights on when I went to sleep ^_^;;

The scariest thing, by far, are the imps. I felt my heart pound and I physically reared back when the imp pounced.

I really hope the full game is quite a bit scarrier than the alpha was.

However, I partially agree with what someone posted a few days ago concerning not having fun while being scared.

I totally understand where you're coming from there. Sometimes, you don't even WANT to play a game because it's so scary. I remember times playing through the first two Resident Evil games where I would muster up a bunch of courage and playing for a couple of hours, and then when I saved it and quit, I would dread coming back to it, because I knew it was going to be so tense.

But - it'll work out. Doom is a shooter. You're going to have big, cool weapons that blow up enemies and cause mass amounts of carnage, which is what id is GREAT at doing.

I expect there to be some pretty scary places and parts, but I also believe the combat experience is going to be so fierce that it will make up for the really tense, lonely moments in the game where you're just ANTICIPATING something jumping out of the darkness to kill you.

Hm, i was going to buy a surround sound system, but i need to use my money for other things now..but ive realised my brother has some decent headphones that i can nick to play the game with..besides, my room isnt exactly well laid out for a surround sound system...

ah well, i'll probably buy doom 3 in the morining, but not play it all day, wait until it gets dark...

deathbringer said:

ah well, i'll probably buy doom 3 in the morining, but not play it all day, wait until it gets dark...

Heh, I don't think I'll have the patience for that - I'm gonna chuck the cd into my drive and install it while reading the manuel (in case there's anything worth reading in it) and then leap right into the fun once the installation is completed, regardless of the time of day.

I reckon the waiting I'll have to endure during installation will be the worst of all those years I've waited for Doom 3 :-P

it depends on the person if you get scary or not, the people who get scared playing doom2 will get scared in doom3.
I??I will play it everytime!!i want to finish it fast, and play multiplayer. (one at a time...i know i will not do it but its the plan hahahaha)
-AvengeR-