Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Gherkin

Doom Builder Bugfixing

During December id like to spend some time on fixing any Doom Builder bugs. Please post bugs in this thread, once only, as detailed as possible. But first read this HOW TO REPORT BUGS:

How to write a useful Bug Report

Useful bug reports are ones that get bugs fixed.
A useful bug report normally has two qualities:

1. Reproducible.
If the engineer can't see the bug himself to prove that it exists, he'll probably stamp your bug report "WORKS FOR ME" or "INVALID" and move on to the next bug. Steps to reproduce are very important and every detail you can provide helps.

2. Specific.
The quicker the engineer can isolate the bug to a specific area, the more likely he'll expediently fix it. If the engineer has to decipher a bug, they may spend more time cursing the submitter than solving the problem.

The engineer will expect the following information:

Overview Description:
Short summary of the bug. What you expected the engine to do and what happend instead.

Steps to Reproduce:
Easy-to-follow steps that will trigger the bug. Include any special setup steps. It is very important to describe this detailed!

Actual Results:
What the application did after performing the above steps.

Expected Results:
What the application should have done, were the bug not present.

Build Date & Platform:
Complete version number of the engine you are using and complete description and version of any associated applications, including your Operating System.

Files:
Any log files and configuration files the program has written or that you used. Preferrably with as much details as possible, upload and link to the files.

Bugs that are already fixed can be seen HERE under the subject Version 1.2.

Thank you.

I still can't do ANY scripting whatsoever with it. It either crashes or does nothing. If I even want to get to the scripting box, I have to manually add a script lump into the wad and when I try to compile, nothing happens.

Also, doing anything regarding rotating ends up in error involving a missing object.

cutting and pasting sectors, or groups of sectors at least, does not work, any attempt to manouver them to connect with existing sectors simply breaks the adjoining sectors, sidedefs go missing and such. i HAVE succeded in pasting a group of sectors then creating new sectors to join them to existing sectors. which isnt always plausible. such as when overdetailing an existing, laid out map, for example. pasting a detailed pillar within a sector appears to work so maybe it's an issue with having existing sectors and linedefs and having to split/join when pasting across sectors. and i dont just mean obscure cross-sector pasting, copying and then pasting a detailed window between two sectors should create a second detailed window but at least one of the adjoining sidedefs gets broken in the process and manual reflagging of 2-sided etc does not seem to help.

hop i've explained that ok, if you like i can email you an in-editor screenshot of what it is that i mean!

Well I think I'm aware of these errors!

Ravage:

Are you sure your using DB 1.1? And did you get ACC 1.31 (Windows)? I noticed that scripting doesn't work unless you get this and put it in your DB folder.

Cycloid:

I know how to fix this problem for the time being. Simply copy your sectors and paste them, oh say 8 units away from the sector it needs to join, then select them all again and move it onto the sector, and BAM the linedef splits (Depending on situation) and the sectors join properly! That should fix the problem.

cyber-menace said:

Are you sure your using DB 1.1?

Yes.

And did you get ACC 1.31 (Windows)?

Link?

cycloid said:

copying and then pasting a detailed window between two sectors should create a second detailed window but at least one of the adjoining sidedefs gets broken in the process and manual reflagging of 2-sided etc does not seem to help.

I think this problem might be something to do with there being 2 linedefs being in the same position but which aren't merged. I think I've had this happen. You have an impassible linedef on top of the (proper) 2-sided linedef. You can sneakily delete one of the uneeded linedefs, but if you try to select 1 of them, it always selects both. The only way I managed it is to split the linedef with a vertex, then drag the vertex away, then delete the linedefs you just split, leaving you with only one (hope that makes sense).

Another thing that is slightly annoying, is if you have 2 sectors next to each other and delete one, DB correctly makes the previously adjoining linedef 1-sided/impassible, but it leaves the middle texture missing (no biggie, just wastes a few seconds :P ). Also I wish when you created a new sector next to another (e.g. a computer embedded in a wall) that the new sector had the same properties as the sector next to it, but it just gets the defaults...

When making a sector inside a sector, the first sectors effects are copied. I made a bunch of stuff in a secret room and was wondering later on why Legacy was saying the map had 15 secrets when there should've been only 8. I think the secret effect should be exempt from being copied if possible. The other effects like the various damage I don't see a problem with, as many times you want those effects to be copied. heh

Thing 32000 bug

I don't see this in the bug fixes on the table at Doombuilder.com, so assuming it isn't somehow covered by one of the other bug fixes:

Overview Description:
Two documented instances where DOOM crashes because the unrelated maps contain thing 32000; the maps having been produced with the latest build of Doom Builder (this is clearly verified in case b.)

Steps to Reproduce:
a) doom2 -file avantgar.wad -warp 1
b) doom -file 10years.wad -warp 3 4

Actual Results:
Doom or Doom2 goes back to DOS with an error

Expected Results:
Doom or Doom2 loads the wad and starts the map

Build Date & Platform:
a) Doom2 v1.9 and avantgar.wad on Windows 98
b) Doom v1.9 (The Ultimate DOOM version) and 10years.wad on Windows 98

Files:
Screenshot of The Ultimate DOOM with -file 10years.wad crashing on startup

Yay, Gherkin's back! Now when I get horrifying bugs I'll have to start writing them down instead of sighing and taking a break from mapping.

1. doesn't render unevenly proportioned textures right (stuff like lite2) when applied to ceiling
2. pngs crash the wad when browsing texture list.. :/
3. switching "mix flats and textures resources" on or off doesn't automatically apply
4. when i updated my video card drivers it started filtering textures in 3d mode, despite having filtering set off
5. this one kind of speaks for itself. that's from this, and i happened to leave a 3d mode start right in that room by accident :)
6. when "mix flats and textures resources" is on, it gives preference to the flat over the texture (e.g. applying step2 to a wall shows the floor graphic step2 rather than the texture step2) which is not how zdoom manages them
7. copy linedef properties doesn't copy peggedness
8. textures that are scaled down are shown scaled down in 2d mode but not in 3d mode
9. in the uncategorized things list, sorting doesn't work

I have some other nasty ones but need to find out how to reproduce them.

b) doom -file 10years.wad -warp 3 4

Ah crap I totally forgot to remove the 3d mode start from my map and I meant to do that. :/

Thing 32000 bug

Use a source port, ZDoom for example if you wanna stay oldskool, and you can leave the 3D Thing in. Take the 3D Thing out before you distribute your map.

sargebaldy:
sigh, thats like saying "my DB crashed!" read my post at the top please!

1: same as 5, will be fixed.
2: pngs arent supported format, not by DB and not by Doom either. I know ZDoom does, but i dont know PNG. If anyone does, feel free to add it to the source.
3: noted.
4: crappy card? :P
5: same as 1, will be fixed.
6: tell me how ZDoom does it?
7: you copy the sidedef, not the linedef!
8: huh? scaled down?
9: noted.

2: i know, but i thought maybe you could at least run a check to make sure the lump is a doom image file so it doesn't crash
4: radeon 7500.. not that bad. if you need me to run something to get some more info it does help me a lot when aligning to look at it unfiltered
6: it uses the wall texture for walls, and the floor texture for flats
7: oh, all right, i suppose that does make good sense.. although your command is called "copy linedef properties"
8: hrm maybe it isn't implemented in 2d mode, i just got that from a post i made a few months ago. but scaling is a texture1 property (implemented for zdoom and probably jdoom) that lets you shrink or enlarge textures (which is how hi-res textures are possible).

ravage said:

Scripting still doesn.t work.

sounds like pilot error.

ravage said:

Scripting still doesn.t work.

There's one more thing you may have to do in order to get it working... I had to anyways, but I guess you'll have to too.

1. Right click on your compile.bat in your DB folder and click edit.

2. Change how it executes to this

acc.exe C:\(Your DB Folder)\script.acs C:\(Your DB Folder)\script.o
Mine wouldn't compile for some reason until I did that. It might work now... What OS are you using?

Well it's good to see that you've regained enough patience to work on Doom Builder again. I haven't really come across any glitches that bug me or that weren't already mentioned. Good Luck!

Hey there Gherkin :) Hows it going?

Well here's my bug report, which I'm reporting in 2 different forums:

When editing for the Doom64 TC using a config file Kaiser made, at first I had no problems being able to view 3D View Mode. Now, a day later after I started using it (and need it to align textures), I'm stuck with this error everytime I try to go into 3D mode:

I've made sure that the 3D View Start object is in it, and my settings haven't changed from when it was working. Can you tell me whats going on? Thanks :)

Melfice
Talked about a bug

That's the main one I've been trying to pinpoint, I get it a lot. By moving my 3D Start I can often fix it, but when I move around a bit more in 3D mode it crashes again. Thankfully it only crashes the 3d mode screen and not Doom Builder, but that's probably the most annoying bug in 1.2. I saw you marked one "object required" bug as fixed, but this one occurs when I'm not copying or pasting anything.

I'm having a damn hard time pinpointing it because even in cases when you think you have it pinned down, when the map won't open up in 3d mode at all, when you close Doom Builder and load it up 3d mode will work fine. I have noticed it occurs more frequently when I forget to include my texture wad. I know this probably isn't enough to help Gherkin pinpoint it, but maybe someone else who's had this problem can add to what I said here?

Also another error I neglected to mention, due to it happening only once thusfar...

This happened after I started getting the affore mentioned error with the 3D mode. When I would right click on a sector and bring up the flat selection window, it would give me some odd error and Doom Builder would crash. After that I uninstalled Doom Builder and reinstalled it earlier today. I still get the 3D mode bug, but so far it hasn't crashed on me again upon viewing the flat selecting window. I'm afraid this time I didn't capture the error that popped up, I'll be sure to do so though if it does this again.

Melfice: Are you sure you're including the resource wad when you load the wad? I've gotten that error going into 3D mode a few times when I've forgotten to include a texture wad for a level which uses it a lot.

Gherkin: It doesn't seem possible to select things and sectors at the same time, but sometimes if you want to move a lot of architecture you might want to move all the things along with it. It'd be nice to be able to select both. On a related note, rotating doesn't move the things either, it'd be nice to have a checkbox to be able to do it, ala wadauthor.

Oh any by the way, you've made a typo in the doombuilder.com url in your signature.

Updated on 3D Mode Error:

Apparently, it runs, until I enter certain parts of my map, then I get the afore mentioned error.

[edit 10 minutes later]

And now when I try to go into 3D mode at all, it crashes without any sorta of error. *sighs*

Oh, some of these are fixd the textues and png and fixed also 'object requird, and ill check if i can find that you say more tomorrow.

what about the random crashing scrolling bug. The Program Crashes when I am scrolling through textures when a resource wad is being used. It doesn't do this all the time, only when i'm really into editing something. When it crashes it causes me not to edit or a few days. I really can't repeat it an a regular basis, but it happens pretty often. I have heard others complain about it too.

without additional resource wad it works fine?
then check if your additional resources wad doesnt have any corrupt textures/flats or anything else that isnt done 'by the book'.