Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
EarthQuake

Messed up Pnames or what?

Okay, I've never had any problems with patch names before. I am really only assuming this problem has to do with it.

Here is the situation:
I have made various textures (208w x 16h, or 323x x 16h for example) to use with the "Scroll Wall Left" linedef type. The lump names to these files were something like m_welcom and m_author. Anyways, after adding the patch names to the list and after creating the texture names in deepsea, I run the game. All looks fine up to this point.

I get inside Doom and the scrolling texture passes by 256 units, then instead of scrolling through the rest, I see that it restarts!
I decided to put the texture on the wall so I could see it better, and indeed, the texture stops short at 256. The texture btw is 323 units wide.

Okay, so there is a limit, I thought to myself.
256 units wide is my limit... okay I can handle that.

However, when I tried the same thing with a texture 208 units wide, and it cuts it off at 128. WTF?!@#

I've done this before so I know it works. I have a living example right here. In this wad the texture is exactly 256 units wide that scrolls in the same manner with the same height. The only differnece is that the lump is named "marquee".

What is the problem with this thing?
Any ideas on how to correct this?

I tried resizing the 208w texture to 256, and it works fine.
Do these textures have to be a certain size? Such as a multiple of 32 or 64?

EarthQuake said:

Do these textures have to be a certain size? Such as a multiple of 32 or 64?

Textures can have widths as narrow as 8, after which they must increment in multiples of 2 (i.e., 16, 32, 64, 128, 256, 512, and 1024).

Okay, thank you very much!
That explains why 192 and 224 did not work, and that explains why the engine was "rounding off" the textures as it was.

However... I have a brick texture that is 192w x 128h and it works to the best of my knowledge. I'll look into it and see if it is being cut off.

I wouldn't call it a bug as much as a limitation. It'd be like saying not supporting 32 bit color is a bug.

And there's nothing wrong with the engine as long as you use textures with a width with a power of 2. =)

What strikes me funny is that I didn't know about this. I guess I've always just happened to use the right sized textures. Heh.

Nanami said:

And there's nothing wrong with the engine as long as you use textures with a width with a power of 2. =)

Right, but there's no way to set 32 bpp in Doom at all, whereas there in fact is a way to use textures with an arbitrary width.

Did I get this right, you can add textures to Doom without having to replace old ones? Is this only a port-feature or is it doom.exe compatible?

Did I get this right, you can add textures to Doom without having to replace old ones? Is this only a port-feature or is it doom.exe compatible?

Yes you can, and yeah it works with any Doom. You have to insert new patches into the patch list, and then create new textures out of those patches.

Hell, if you wanted, you could make new textures without even inserting graphics into the levels. :) Just create new textures with existing patches. The only way I know how to do this is through Deepsea, though....

Deathmatcher said:

Hello and welcome to 1995! :P

Very funny. I thought that you can only replace textures by substituting, say TITLEPIC with a new grafic. I am using NWT but I only replace textures that aren't in the Texture1 subdirectory. I never figured out how these patches work.