Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Johnny

Flashing Skins? HOW?!

Many times while playing ST I come across someone who has their skin flashing two different colors(ie: red,blue/red,black). I ask them how they do it and every time they respond with something like "My little secret" or "I ain't tellin you" or the occasional "B3C4US3 1M L33T FUX0R!!" So I ask, does ANYONE know how to do this?! I've hunted around here and haven't seen anyone else ask, and I am determined to find out.

Oh, but Geocities sites are SO original! They all have such unique and original web designs, with perfectly legitamate reasons for existing in the first place!

"welcom 2 danz doom paeg! i maek good wawds. u will ply my bestest mapz evar"

It involves binding color-changing console commands either to movement keys or having a color-changing alias execute itself over and over.

Ultraviolet said:

It involves binding color-changing console commands either to movement keys or having a color-changing alias execute itself over and over.

Damned Neat!

Most of the people I see using them are people from the Lame Clan, namely <LC>L33T0R. But he's a jackass, and admits to being one, so he won't tell you no matter what. I also THINK I saw Shotgun Steve using red/black once.

However, using flashing skins requires that the client information for what color a user is using be sent to the server... REPEATEDLY, ONCE FOR EVERY COLOR CHANGE, YOU FUCKING LAMERS, IT'LL TOTALLY KILL YOUR BANDWIDTH. :P Anyway, flashing skins ARE lame, do NOT use them. Perhaps there should even be a client-side-imposed color-change per minute limit of ONE.

johnnyrules182 said:

but it doesnt seem to work in ST. Why? WHY?!

Perhaps there is a different command or variable in Skulltag than there is in ZDoom, or perhaps Carnievil is smarter than I give him credit for and has already imposed a color-change-per-minute system or something.

I have plenty of bandwidth, and I happen to think flashing skins are extremely fucking cool. As to other people with small bandwidth, if they don't want to see my cool skin they can disable them.

Ultraviolet said:

And how do you do this color-changing console command bound to movement keys? i reeeeally want to know this.

johnnyrules182 said:

I happen to think flashing skins are extremely fucking cool.

I happen to think that this alone makes you a complete fucking idiot. You'd better have some redeeming qualities.

For the answer to your question, RTFM.

As you can see I'm not the only one who wants to know how to do this, and I'm sorry you hate me so much.

The only thing more 1337 than flashing skin is getting in first place ONLY using the heat seeking wood to score frags.

Seriously you guys, the flashing skin thing is the retarded. I could never stand playing someone using something like that. If you want random colors while playing take shrooms before you load up IDE.

Oh, and just because you say you have enough bandwidth doesn't mean I give a shit about that. You're still killing the game for slower-connected users.

Ultraviolet said:

I agree.

This debate goes all the way back to the original Quake, you know.

Hmm, I did not know that.

Anyway, while it might be entertaining for a short while, I will be putting something into the next version to prevent this from happening. I don't this to be used to lag other clients out.

Carnevil said:

Hmm, I did not know that.

They even called them "flashers," I believe. Try looking up "quake flashers" (maybe with a few extra keywords so you don't get actual flashers), I'm sure there's a history page out there somewhere. It may have been in some Quake console tutorial... can't recall...

Wow, I started like a whole controversy. Well, since everyone says its sinfully bad and laggy(and I still don't know how to do it)I guess I won't.

I happen to like low gravity in DM. :D I have fond memories of Quake 2, in that space station, jumping as my dad would come through a door and shredding him with the hyperblaster...

Johnny: Are you picklehammer or are you just using his avatar? If you ARE picklehammer, you're fucking awesome. If not, um... I still think the same.