Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Sephiroth

FUBAR freeDOOM

when downloading the latest wad version i gto something strange. It said i was downloading at like 19k/sec!!!! now i have 56k and i know that aint right. It also did not give me a percentage. It did complete but i am wondering if i should open it. Also why is it in this format freedoom.wad.gz instead of the normal zip format

The wad is in gzip compressed format. The data rate displayed by your browser is the rate of uncompressed data: it decompresses for you as it downloads. So the actual physical transfer rate is much lower, probably only 6 k/sec, but that 6k/sec of compressed data actually comes to around 19k/sec of uncompressed data.

By the way, you can uncompress the wad using WinZip, but if it complains about it not being a valid archive, its because your browser has already uncompressed it for you, so just rename it to freedoom.wad.

I have no problem to handle all the archive formats like .zip, .gzip, .tar, .rar, .arj, .hqx.

Why because you have a mac? hehe

I have no problem to handle all the archive formats like .zip, .gzip, .tar, .rar, .arj, .hqx.

Same here, but I can also decompress them :)

No, wait, that's my computer actually.

.bz2? .ace? ha!

DooMBoy to the rescue, once more!
FUBAR=
-------------
Fucked
Up
Beyond
All
Recognition
-------------
Umkay?

For some odd reason my Winzip program cannot open .gz files as well, which bummed me cause I wanted to play freedoom. In the deutex tree (I belive I spelled that right) there are the wads (last time I checked). Hope that helps. Click the freedoom link in my sig and look for the deutex tree.

Well ditch that can of smashed assholes known as WinZip and get PowerArchiver!

Fuck, like you will. I'm talking to someone who uses RealPlayer to playback all of his multimedia. Get WinAmp while you're at it.

Getting both will squeeze at least half of the gay out of your UI.

Strange . . . my winzip 7.0 opens it w/ no problem.

dead, powerarchiver.com seems to be down atm. I would be interested in it, but for the fact that I registered winzip like 10 years ago, back in my bbs days.

Fraggle: what sound card work best under linux? At work, I scrounged an Aztech sound galaxy, had to tell sndconfig that it was a soundblaster, & even then the sound is very distorted (8 bits!). The ALSA pages seem to indicate that soundblaster would work fine. Or, could I just tweak the sound card's latency in some text file?

For some odd reason my Winzip program cannot open .gz files as well, which bummed me cause I wanted to play freedoom. In the deutex tree (I belive I spelled that right) there are the wads (last time I checked). Hope that helps. Click the freedoom link in my sig and look for the deutex tree.

It can open gzipped files. You probably downloaded it through IE, which decompresses it as it downloads. Just rename the file to freedoom.wad

Powerarchiver rules. Winzip's just a shame when compressing stuff.

I like how FreeDooM is progressing. But if you ask me, all that stuff should be combined with EDGE or other source port to make a new game (besides the IWAD idea). Just by looking at the screenshots you can be easily fooled to believe it's some unknow DooM-engined game.

When I downloaded the last version of FreeDOOM before this one, neither WinZip nor WinAce could open the .wad.gz file, which makes me think the last version's archive was corrupt.