Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Cyb

10 Years of Doom: The Final Battle

Yes folks, I'm afraid it's time to wrap up our 10 Years of Doom celebration thingy here, but we're not gonna go away that easy. On today's menu we have the second and final part of Quasar's source ports article which you've no doubt waited patiently for, as well as a new humor article about how good certain Doom WADs really are. Yes, we've been lying to you all along with those top 100 WADs, this is the real deal and how you can really tell if a WAD is any good. Of course, tomorrow we'll have a nice big /newstuff Chronicles #159 as well. Enjoy!

Snips:
From Quasar's Article:
On other fronts, efforts were underway to move DOOM into more operating systems. Linux and Windows versions appeared and quickly diversified. Also, the effort to create an OpenGL-based version of DOOM, which had been born in the mind of Bernd Kreimeier, and was subsequently encouraged by John Carmack, began in earnest. One of the first DOOM ports to achieve meaningful results with OpenGL was glDoom by Bruce Lewis.

However, not long into development, the source code for glDoom was lost in a hard drive failure. With the DOOM source having been released under a proprietary, educational-use license, it was not uncommon at this time for source ports to keep their source code locked away and unavailable to the general public. glDoom was one such port, and since Bruce Lewis didn't have appropriate backups, once his drive failed, his efforts were put to an end.

From the Lighter Side Article:
In the ten years since Doom's creation there have been a great many classic wads released and also some non-classics (which we like to call 'crap'). The problem here is that everyone loves the same bunch of maps. And why? Great level design, nice use of textures, great gameplay, fun to play, looks good, blah blah blah. Those are all fine reasons to think a wad is good, but there has to be a more foolproof system to deciding which levels are good, and which suck ass, right? Surely someone has come up with an exact science that will allow universal classification of all Doom wads. Well, someone has.

Second Post!

Anyway, that Start to Crates article is the funniest damn thing I've ever read on Doomworld ever (possible hyperbole overload), and that includes posts by both Railgunner and Darknation.

I guess this means all my two release maps are pretty damn good afterall. Enigma MAP02 (03 as it turned out in the demo) has some crates but it takes at least 30 seconds to get to them. And my MGMYWTCX map has neither crates nor barrels! Go me!

What about ammo boxes, and medikits/stimpaks (they are all boxes).

fp! (fourth post)

When I first read that StC article when it was being developed, I thought it was our "top X number of Wads" article. I realized later that I was wrong :P

What's with the lack of ANY mention of Marijo Sedlic's tool-assisted runs of Doom2 (16:17 in UV, 18:49 in Nightmare)? Those are easily THE two best runs I have EVER seen. They're tool-assisted, sure, but that is made up for by the fact that each map is completely optimized and there are a ton of awesome tricks used.

prower said:

What's with the lack of ANY mention of Marijo Sedlic's tool-assisted runs of Doom2 (16:17 in UV, 18:49 in Nightmare)? Those are easily THE two best runs I have EVER seen. They're tool-assisted, sure, but that is made up for by the fact that each map is completely optimized and there are a ton of awesome tricks used.

They are mentioned here. It was hardly likely that Opulent would have forgotten about them - I recall him describing 30uv1617 as (IIRC - apologies if I am inadvertently fabricating this) possibly the greatest FPS demo of all.

They are not completely optimized, of course (the biggest single time saving would be to do map07 in 0:06 rather than 0:42/0:36). In one recent discussion, Adam Hegyi reckoned the best possible TAS time for 30uv would be around 15 minutes, and Cameron Prosser even claimed 13 minutes for a built run (though he hasn't backed this up by demonstrating many of the new tricks it would require).

Heh. I just noticed that in my wad, I have a crate room in the first map... and then half of map 2 is somewhat focused on them. But after that, I can't think of any crate formations I made until map 8.

In other words, I don't necessarily agree with the StC method (even if it is a joke). :-)

Bloodshedder said:

When I first read that StC article when it was being developed, I thought it was our "top X number of Wads" article. I realized later that I was wrong :P

I did the same thing, heh.

Both my major releases have first-map crates, too... (but they take a few minutes to reach)

Hah very funny. So far my megawad fails it with a StC of 0.00. Barrels in plain view on the very first map. However episode 3, which is in hell, has no crates or barrels.

The second hub of my project (almost finished, by the way) won't have any crates until map 8 (second map of the hub), and they will be near the beginning. In the first hub, crates are in the first map, but the StC will vary a bit depending on how much you explore the map.

I must admit, I was a bit wary about the StC article, considering I assumed it was basically a ripoff, but it was quite funny. Funny enough to make me post, which makes this probably my 10th post since the 5 Years of Doom celebration (god how do I remember that..)

sponge said:

Funny enough to make me post, which makes this probably my 10th post since the 5 Years of Doom celebration (god how do I remember that..)

Doomworld didn't have news comments or a forum back then.

Odd, could've sworn they were made around the same time. Never mind me then, I'm just a raving lunatic.

hey, I got some e-mail from sailorscout:

Hey! I was just reading the article about the 10th anniversary of Doom.
I was hoping that one of my maps would make it into that list you and
Ling made, and believe me, I was happy as heck that Containment Area
made it into the list. Even today, I still get e-mail about that map,
and it was definitely the best thing I've made.. not to mention the biggest.

P.S. Work on Doom2000 started early summer/late spring of 1999. It's
amazing especially for me to look at Daedalus now since I remember
seeing the 'beta' files; as I was a member of TeamTNT back then; and
looking at it in it's final form. For reference, the beginning portions
of the second map were designed by me. ;)

oh and he sent along this pic: http://cyb.vect.org:8080/pics/Doom_RCB.gif which I don't understand at all, but he said any anime fans would know what it means. Crazy anime fans :P

i got the anime reference. is that bad?

just watched said 16:17 demo, and you cant actually see anything because he's either facing walls running sideways or the screen is red from all the rocket jumps. still, it's bloody amazing, pretty much 99% of the tricks i'd heard about and some i still thought were generally believed to be impossible. i suppose that's why it's called the marine's best friend :-)

Geez. And it's ten years already. And the worst part is I turned thirty just over a week later. :P Ah well.

Ling, Cyb thanks for putting so much effort into the site, both over time and for this special event. Picking out the 100 wads was surely a time consuming task. Rest assured it'll be more time consuming for those of us who have to make sure and play through anything we missed. :)

I loved that Old Man Murray article about crates. The line where one of the OMM crew is knocked down for remembering DooM being a much better game ("science is not about your feelings") is a definite keeper. And while it may not be as usable in casual conversation, Cyb's "Start to Boobs" comment was just as hilarious. :D

Thanks again, and cheers.

To DooM!