Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Cyb

bye bye win98

Hmm, I never knew they actually still did have support for it and all that jazz. :P Silly me. Luckily I have Xp so it doesn' effect me very much, though I hope people who still run on 98 can bear without the support and jazz. :D

Heh, no worries for me, my old computer runs Win 98, but I hardly even use it, and it's not even able to connect to the intarweb anyway.

Well I for one don't have any money to afford an upgrade, so yeah, that's a little annoying. Fucking $200 for damn XP.

the_Danarchist said:

Well I for one don't have any money to afford an upgrade, so yeah, that's a little annoying. Fucking $200 for damn XP.

That's for the full thing, you can get the XP Home upgrade for 90 bucks.

HAHA. Now there's no support for windows 98 ?

That makes me laugh: I don't know what the situation is like in the states but over here in Europe, Microsoft tech support is limited to 2 goddamn phone calls... and that's it!

nxn said:

That's for the full thing, you can get the XP Home upgrade for 90 bucks.

That's still a little steep.

How the hell often does anyone call Microsoft for support, anyways? Really, it's not as big a deal as they say it is, except for stupid noobs who don't know how to use a freakin' computer. I have an old computer with Windows 3.1. Does it bother or affect me in any way that they don't offer support for it anymore? No, because it doesn't matter. Now it's the same for my win98 machine.

the_Danarchist said:

That's still a little steep.

This isn't a video game, it's an os so it's not reasonable to hold that price against it. Chances are you paid more for Win98 anyway, however if you still can't bear it, there's Linux for you. =P

I can get a free copy of XP Pro for free from the college, and it's entirely legal. Ask your college library about the Microsoft Academic Alliance today! Hell, ask your high school computer-related subject teachers about it, too, you never know. My high school was in that program.

EDIT: Oh, there's plenty of other MS software up for grabs in that program too. Just about all of it... Visual Studio 6 and .NET (possibly older versions if your school has been in the program that long), etc... I've heard MS Office isn't covered, though.

I believe there is a stipulation about personal use, though. Anything you create with any of the software can't be released... I think. I can't remember. If your school is in the program, check it out for yourself.

nxn said:

Chances are you paid more for Win98 anyway...

Actualy, it was kinda already on this computer when I got it...heh.

the_Danarchist said:

Actualy, it was kinda already on this computer when I got it...heh.

Still included in the price of the pc.

In the future when you have a PC with an outdated system, it will be the most secure as current ("future") viruses are not targeted for it.

That will just mean that an even worse Windows version will inevitably replace XP.

Yeah, it goes on and on...

But I think that Windows Longhorn will be a slightly better OS as it'll go through quite some beta testing before its release.
Proves that MS has actually been THINKING...

Beh well you know what DAN? You can go get yourself xp as a gift for all I care.