Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
pagb

ImpArena.wad - Scores & Stuff

I was working on something like this for a wad I abandoned a long time ago. You get a different number of points depending on what type of monster you killed. It had NPCs that would fight for you, and you'd lose points if they died...

/me looks at Cyb accusingly.

Nanami said:

I was working on something like this for a wad I abandoned a long time ago. You get a different number of points depending on what type of monster you killed. It had NPCs that would fight for you, and you'd lose points if they died...

/me looks at Cyb accusingly.

oh man, he ripped you off sooo bad

yeah I'm totally psychic and I looked into Nanami's brain and saw her idea and I STOLE IT. Filthy hobbitses, tricksy, false.

Er, yeah...

anyways, I made a small (quick) high score table, if anyone wants to upload a screenie somewhere (or email it to me) I'll post it there along with your score and rank, even if it's awful :P

http://doom.vect.org:8080/imparena.html

I guess the trick is good weapon usage early on (multikills with sg and such).

Haven't played much of this myself as I am pretty consumed in mapping atm. My best score is around 1900, haven't saved any screenshots though.

eventually i just splattered mystiriously, but i got prefect score. is there a time limit? {i like play with my blank soldier sprite replacement}

I turned on suprwep8.deh and used the multiplier info I got from the ACS to my advantage and still only got 1563. I suck.

heh yeah I ran a cheated run and I got 2303, but without cheating I can't seem to crack 1600.

lupinx: you die when you get 500 kills, though you can go over that if your last bfg shot kills a lot of imps (the highest killcount I ever got was 526)

got 434 on about my 12th attempt. i'm just frankly rubbish with everything up until the shotgun. it takes me so long to kill just 5 with the pistol that there are already about 6 million by the time i have to get among them to chainsaw and tyson them :-(

edit: turns out it wasnt totalling my mutlikills anyway must be my zdoom version i think mine's ancient history now, like at least a week old ;-)

I actually did a lot worse with suprwep8.deh. I only got 1200 while I normally get a little over 1500. I tried adding that old idoom.wad (had to cheat to keep from killing myself), and I managed to get nearly 1900.

Ichor said:

I tried adding that old idoom.wad (had to cheat to keep from killing myself), and I managed to get nearly 1900.

Funny - I tried that too (also with god mode), and was surprised by how low my score was. Perhaps you only get credit if you actually set off a chain of explosions yourself.

I then tried using idoom.wad and the strategy of letting the imps stack up (I think it was prower who pointed out you could do that), intending to blow them all up when there were about 3000 of them. However, there only seems to be room for a total of 120 to spawn that way.

Oh, and I should have 1479 on that table (demo here).

I modified the WAD a little bit to keep a running score on the screen so I don't have to play all the way to the end to find out my score sucks. Saves lots of time.

I found that single kills to not add to your score at all - only 'special' kills do (Double, Multi, etc) - and that with the higher weapons, you only get points for lesser kill groups. Monster Kill with RL and BFG give you nothing, but double/multi kill does.

the extra points you get (they're not multipliers, just extra points) are all listed in the text file. Your final score (which is "special score points" + kills) is calculated at the end when you die:

script 8 death
{
	score += kills;
}
the scripts used to be way longer and easier to read, but I since shortened them (quite a lot in fact, from what I remember the first version (that worked as now) took up nearly 3x the space). I did have a debug script that showed the states of various variables while you played, but it looks like I removed it but if you want to display your total score something like:
script 999 enter
{
      print(d:kills + score);
      delay(1);
      restart;
}
will do fine

I was thinking more along the lines of this:

script 999 enter
{
hudmessage(s:"Score: ", d:kills + score; HUDMSG_PLAIN, 6, CR_BLUE, 1.0, 0.5, 0);
delay(1);
restart;
}
so the message is away from the centre, but in any case WA won't let me compile the scripts (says score is a redefined variable for some crappy reason, though we all know the real reason is to piss me off)

well that was just a general suggestion, obviously hudmessage is a better choice so you can actually position the score

I dunno offhand (I never tried it before) but acs may not allow you to use operations in print statements (C and most other programming languages allow it, which is why I did it), I didn't even test my script, but if that's the case then int total = score + kills; and printing total instead of score + kills should fix it