Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Bashe

Changing MIDI to MUS

How do I change my song from mid to Mus?
When I use MIDI2MUS, it says the file is too big.
Is there a converter that lets me change it to mus no matter how big?

Yes, I need to do that.
I know Zdoom and such can directly support Midi, but I hate the way my midi sounds. My synthesizer sucks. I need mus. It sounds 100000000000000000000000000 times better.

The only way would be first editing the MIDI to make it shorter/smaller and then changing it to MUS format. This has been done before; I recall one MUS wad using classical music for all three episodes of DOOM where the author (compiler, really) simplified some pieces somewhat to get them to get to work with DOOM. Of course, you do need some proficiency with a MIDI editor and enough musical knowledge to do this effectively.

Bashe said:

Yes, I need to do that.
I know Zdoom and such can directly support Midi, but I hate the way my midi sounds. My synthesizer sucks. I need mus. It sounds 100000000000000000000000000 times better.

How often do we have to say it:
That's not true!

The only reason Doom's music sounds so bad everywhere else but in the original .exe is because the music was apparently 'optimized' for OPL playback. Yes, it sounds like shit when played back with a decent MIDI synthesizer but for other MIDIs that's definitely not true. Every single MIDI that's not from Doom (even most of the ones made for Doom add-ons) sound much worse when used in DOS-Doom.

Regarding the file format, MUS is just a very stripped down MIDI format to save space. One of the optimizations was apparently to limit address offsets in the file to 16 bit so that the file size is limited top 64 KB. As you have noticed MIDI does not have that limit so some files are larger. You can't convert those to MUS.

My advice regarding your sound card: Buy a new one! Most modern ones either have good wavetable support or at least implement MIDI as a software synthesizer. On those it won't sound bad. If it annoys you so much it might well be worth the money.

I noticed that ZDOOM lets you change your Midi device (bottom function in the sound menu). On some systems there are considerable differences in quality and style, when changing to another device.

I like MUS, though.
It sounds a lot better that my MIDI.

Most people go:
"Ew, mus sounds like dog doo."
or:
"Hey there, shitty shitty fag fag that uses Mus!"

Mus sounds kinda good, though.

As has already been said, if mus sounds better than midi for non-Doom music, you need a better sound card :)

NiGHTMARE said:

As has already been said, if mus sounds better than midi for non-Doom music, you need a better sound card :)

No.

Yes. There is no way mus could ever sound better than a decent wavetable sound card with 4mb or 8mb soundfonts unless a song has been specifically written with mus in mind (i.e. the music in Doom, Doom 2, Heretic, Hexen and Strife is pretty much all). Hell even a 2mb soundfont would sound better, and I'm sure many people prefer Doom's music in midi regardless of what it was intended for.

I suppose you're now going to tell me mus sounds better than CD audio or OGG?