Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Epyo

Daedalus Help & Hints thread

Ok I'm here in Daedalus (some people need to learn to map, why were 8 million shotgun guys and chaingunners here in the engine core? And I'm playing on skill 1!) I need some help. I need a key to get inside the inner core, but I can't find it. I've been searching for the past hour, through sleeping quarters, kitchen, engineering. None of them have anything! (btw this wad has been 8 times the fun ever since I turned on IDDQD and IDBEHOLDS) So who can tell me where it is?

Check the closets in the officers' quarters carefully. One of them has a switch that lowers a bed to where there's a hell knight (or was it a baron?) that gives you the key when you kill him.

I think you mean check the completly non-descript angled walls opposite the beds in the officer quarters. I only found those closets by sheer luck after wandering around for like 15 mins. I happened to notice that the texture is SLIGHTLY different than the rest of the wall after my fourth visit there. Not the best decision for something so necessary.

yeah it's the four rooms in the center of the sleeping quarters, I believe the switches in the sleeping quarters open their doors or grant you access to them or somesuch

Cyb said:

I think you mean check the completly non-descript angled walls opposite the beds in the officer quarters. I only found those closets by sheer luck after wandering around for like 15 mins. I happened to notice that the texture is SLIGHTLY different than the rest of the wall after my fourth visit there. Not the best decision for something so necessary.

I actually almost missed them, too, until I explored the rest of the sleeping quarters and discovered a few random hallways that led to rooms with security consoles that showed you exactly how to go about getting the pass.

Although confusingly there's a entire level called Officer's Quarters (or something similar) in hub 2 :)

I guess the ones based in the Sleeping Quarters are junior officers, while the one with their own deck/area/whatever are the senior officers.

Heh, now I will hijack this thread (somewhat).

I have a problem too. While Hub 1 didn't present that big of a problem (the engine core was considerably toned down from how it was in the demo, back then it was a death trap).

But I am stuck in Hub 2. I have managed to find the first microgen and install it in the secondary bridge, but now I need a second one to install in the brig in order to activate the other tubes and I can't seem to find any. The mails aren't of much help. I have cleared the entire brig (including cheesy "duck and SSG" action with a cyberdemon).

There are a few other threads about Daedalus. Your question is answered in at least two of them, and my review (and one of the later screenshots) provided a hefty clue.

Little Faith said:

But I am stuck in Hub 2. I have managed to find the first microgen and install it in the secondary bridge, but now I need a second one to install in the brig in order to activate the other tubes and I can't seem to find any. The mails aren't of much help. I have cleared the entire brig (including cheesy "duck and SSG" action with a cyberdemon).

This is the one that's confused pretty much everybody so far, unfortunately. :P

Basically, go back to storage, to the room where there's a bunch of boxes blocking a soulsphere. The red-tinted boxes will explode when you shoot them, so stay at a distance and do so. One of them has the second microgen.

This is one of those things I can't fathom happening upon by anything but sheer dumb luck, really.

The closet seems like a strange place to put a switch (except maybe for opening a secret passage).

Ichor said:

The closet seems like a strange place to put a switch (except maybe for opening a secret passage).

Which is sort of what it does.

I didn't get that far yet. I was bored with it rather quickly after running into one too many chaingunners. I may play it again sometime, though.

Yeah I'm not a big fan of this either, but IDDQD + berserk is awesome.

So hey now that I've blown up one of the engine core, and put out the fires, now what do I do?

Epyo said:

Yeah I'm not a big fan of this either, but IDDQD + berserk is awesome.

So hey now that I've blown up one of the engine core, and put out the fires, now what do I do?

Time to vent those toxic gasses. Perhaps a visit to environmental control?

It just ocurred to me: You are trusting that email guy quite blindly.

Afterall it seems a bit odd how he/she/it knows so well what is happening around you.

In Massmouth and Massmouth 2 you at least had a face on your helper. Here it's just that creepy smiley.

..or maybe I have just played a bit too much System Shock 2.

My turn for daedalus help. How do I get the damn underground train to work in hub 4?

Oh, it's a good old "search for a replacement microgen" action. The train power room is in the station under Language laboratories.

1.You need (another) microgen to make it work. But you also need a code to get it. Oh well.

2. Are you sure you learned everything?

I'm in the train itself. And I can't get it to work.

Something about console locked until initiation process is completed or something.

Okay, did you took ALL the lessons? (There are five in all IIRC: 3 "begginers", 1 "advanced" and 1 "teacher".)

I was also going to request help for another TeamTNT megawad (Eternal Doom: stuck on MAP31, trying to get at the "other side", found all keys and cleared the mansion, bla bla bla...) but that isnt the place.

Epyo said:

Man I've been wanting to go there forever but it won't let me in.

OK, big time spoiler, so those that don't want to read it, close your eyes. ;)

You need the security pass from crew's quarters. It's behind the laser barriers in the central area. You'll need to fight an HK to obtain it.

Once you have the security pass, reenter the engine room and pass through the doors you are facing. Decontaminate the air lock and enter the core area. You will need a protective suit to do so.

As the consoles tell you, shut down the malfunctioning engine. The hint mentions you will find the switch in the core area.

Your actions will drop the forcefield blocking one of the consoles you see at the start of engine room. That will allow you to repower the ttube to environmental control.

ravage said:

I'm in the train itself. And I can't get it to work.

Something about console locked until initiation process is completed or something.

You need to revisit the language labs and classrooms level. Highly suggested you clean it out entirely before proceeding. Which you can do without having to visit any other maps in the hub.

You need to find the accelerated learning pods - big upright tube-like things. There are three different sets scattered throughout the map.

Epyo said:

Ok I'm here in Daedalus (some people need to learn to map, why were 8 million shotgun guys and chaingunners here in the engine core?

Ah. You must of missed the intruder alert messages - which ordered all the aliens to the engine room to stop you. It seems your recent actions have alerted authorities and they have planned an ambush.

Arg! I Where's the command console in the Trash Bay? I found the way back in the Kitchens, but where is the console? I've been looking for close to an hour now...

cyber-menace said:

I found the way back in the Kitchens, but where is the console?

See any crates that look like they're blocking something? Pushie, pushie.

Seeing all of these threads about people being stuck in Daedalus makes me want to download it and see how far I can get without being stuck.