Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
cycloid

Return Of The King (CONTAINS SPOILERS)

well it didnt "feel" like 3 hours but it did seem very long, but alas i have "observations"

hang on

yo're reading this thread

stop it

you havent seen it yet

or read the book

and your monitor resolution is way too hig

and i bet you're a moderator who has no choice but to read this

spoilers!

hello?

spoilers!

still you're gonna flame me and act asif i didnt warn you

you are arent you?

bloody hell!

it takes about an hour and a half for
everyone to get to minas tirith for the big fight but due to the magic of editing 30 seconds to get to the black gate

coencidentally it takes frodo and sam the same 30 seconds to cross the entire of mordor without being noticed

then it takes about 5 hours to end, but alas the very last line of the film HAS to be "Well, I'm back" because it is in the book

didnt gollum fighting invisible frodo just look comical

and you can get that close to lava without bursting into flames, they'd have beeen singed on that rock

the eye suddenly turned comedy, with a big spotlight and a cartoon villan style downfall, heh

"That still only counts as one" was the funniest part of the film by quite some margin

dead army? turn up, kill everything and there are like 100000 of them moving at rapid speed, a bit too convenient for my liking, but that's clearly a book critisismmmm not a filmic one

etc.

maybe you should read the book before you start on about "bookic" criticisms. In fact, I suggest you get a dictionary and start from there.

heh, i've done that before it's quite entertaininging. no one wants to talks about and/or critique the film then? or am the first person here to see it? probably am cos i'm "leet"

Ultraviolet said:

OH MY GOD SEPHIROTH YOU TOTALLY RUINED THE MOVIE FOR ME I HAVEN'T SEEN IT YET

havnt seen it, so how could i ruin it.

Okay, here's my take (*some spoilers*):

First off is Sauruman. Okay, where the fuck did he go?

Secondly, I loved the opening sequence. I was wondering if they'd ever have that part in the movies.

Also, the Oliphaunts were the coolest damn thing in the movie. Not only were they really awesome, but I really liked the makeup on the drivers.

There was also an orc general that looked like John Merrik. Actualy, I can't ever remember if they ever killed the bastard.

Seige of Gondor: very awesome weapons that they used. Huge seige towers and catapults, fully aromored trolls (!), that huge firey ram thing (I'm know it was in the book but I can't remember what they called it).

Minas Tirith was cool...love that courtyard.

Mount Doom was also very awesome with the flying chunks of lava and all.

Shelob and her lair were very creepy, as was gollum when he became a complete bastard.

Besides the Saruman thing, I was kinda annoyed by the way they portrayed Eowyn, though I could be a little wrong here. In the movie, she went to battle because she was acting like a groupie for Aragorn. In the book, if I remember correctly, she was just kind of a tomboy and wanted to fight for her country along with the men.

The end was very, very emotional. I had to restrain myself to keep from crying. Though this really isnt a suprise, because I got a bit teary at the end of reading the books as well.

Definately movie of the year.

that huge firey ram thing (I'm know it was in the book but I can't remember what they called it).

Grond, the Hammer of the Underworld, named after the weapon of Morgoth from the Dark Days.

I also didn't see Eowyn as a groupie, she was pining for valor and renown and her "love" for Aragorn was a reflection of her inner desire for adventure, which is straight out of the book. "What do you fear, my lady?" "A cage, to stay behind bars until use and old age accepts them, and all chance for valor are gone beyond recall ..." etc.

or am the first person here to see it? probably am cos i'm "leet"

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

Arioch said:

I also didn't see Eowyn as a groupie, she was pining for valor and renown and her "love" for Aragorn was a reflection of her inner desire for adventure, which is straight out of the book. "What do you fear, my lady?" "A cage, to stay behind bars until use and old age accepts them, and all chance for valor are gone beyond recall ..." etc.

Ah. Well, it has been several years since I read the books. In fact, I think it was back in Jr. High.

cycloid said:

heh, i've done that before it's quite entertaininging. no one wants to talks about and/or critique the film then? or am the first person here to see it? probably am cos i'm "leet"

I was going to start a thread last night, but my brian wasn't wroking for some reason. I couldn't get a damned thought out of my head and onto the screen. So I just put on some Floyd and read HHGTTG.

ahh yer shelob. when she was sneaking up on freddo and towering above him until she filled the screen with him totally unawares. how scary was that! it's hard to believe in these modern "horror" days where a film is generally good until they decide to show you the monster (jeepers creepers etc.) the bastards at weta actually managed to pull it off!

i was wandering myself if lumpy-hand had actually been killed. it was funny though when he was ordering them to stand ground under the catapult assault then at the last moment had to move. heh

I thought the end dragged, I was actually begging for the film to end after the 4 ending...

Nevertheless, movie of the year no doubt! Some of the scenes just left you going, "I'm I actually watching this?"

Epic.

cycloid said:

i was wandering myself if lumpy-hand had actually been killed. it was funny though when he was ordering them to stand ground under the catapult assault then at the last moment had to move. heh

Apparently they filmed Aragorn killing him, but then cut it for the theatrical release, possibly with the reasoning that once the Rohirrim piled in on the orcs, it didn't much matter where or how he did end up. It might be an extended sequence scene for the EE DVD, but I'm not holding my breath for that particular segment.

The bed scene at the end had me crying - WITH LAUGHTER!
Ok, I thought it was going to be boring up until Gandalf started laughing his ass off, while watching three young hobbits tumbling all over the bed. I expected Jacko to bust in.

The fight scenes were amazing without a doubt. Except for Legolas's little romp around the oliphant.(Ok, that was pretty cool, BUT THE SLIDING DOWN THE TRUNK?)

It was generally a great movie, despite the homosexual and pedophillic innuendo(correct term?).

Movie of the year!

I was disappointed - I had hoped the battle would be on the scale of the one at the beginning of FOTR, the absence of Saruman, the Eowyn battle was silly, the end dragged on too long and I felt things were rushed and confused.

Having said that, visually it was superb and the best film of the year, if not the trilogy.

It couldn't possibly be.

The population of Gondor was on the decline. The elves remaining in middle earth are but a fraction of a fraction of what were in middle earth at the time of the Last Alliance, and that was but a small fraction of a fraction of the total amount of elves that were in middle earth before the War of Shadow in the Dark Days.

Tens, hundreds of thousands marched on Mordor during the Last Alliance, and they could barely scrape up 6 thousand men for the final confrontation at the Morannon, so the scales we're looking at are obviously going to be totally different.

And the Eowyn vs. Witch-King battle is literally totally out of the book.

Don't like? Blame the book, or blame yourself, but not the movie.

Janderson, Scabbed Angel, and cycloid

You All Fail It.

Well, I loved it. I don't give a fuck what anyone says, its the best trilogy of all. It out does Star Wars, Aliens, and The Matrix all 3 (in trilogies that is). If I wasn't tired (as I always am anymore it seems) I'd bother typing a more detailed list of what I loved about it. Oh well.

Everyone has their own opinion, and I actually really have an appreciation for Lord of the Rings, thank you very much. I have found that it cures insomnia. ; P

the_Danarchist said:

First off is Sauruman. Okay, where the fuck did he go?

They cut an hour out of the film, Sauruman will be on the DVD

in the book saruman goes to the shire and enslaves all the hobbits making them grow him weed

i wish that bit was in the movie :(

GS-1719 said:

I was disappointed - I had hoped the battle would be on the scale of the one at the beginning of FOTR, the absence of Saruman, the Eowyn battle was silly, the end dragged on too long and I felt things were rushed and confused.

Everythign Arioch said, plus Saruman wouldn't risk leaving Barad-Dur without his Ring. Without it, he's pretty much mortal. Ageless, extremely powerful, but killable. More or less, the Ring is his soul.

Melfice said:

Well, I loved it. I don't give a fuck what anyone says, its the best trilogy of all. It out does Star Wars, Aliens, and The Matrix all 3 (in trilogies that is). If I wasn't tired (as I always am anymore it seems) I'd bother typing a more detailed list of what I loved about it. Oh well.

I'd have to agree with that. Of course, this is probably the first fully-planned
trilogy ever made (not to mention the first that was filmed together). Aliens of course was never meant to be more than one movie. Hell, each movie has a different director. I don't believe Star Wars was planned out as a 6 or 9 parter like Lucas claims it always has been. There just isnt that sense of cohesion between each. Whatever. And whatever they say, I really doubt The Matrix was meant to be more than one movie. In their defence though, Peter Jackson had the story written for him (unless you count Lucas ripping off The Hidden Fortress).

Mr. T said:

in the book saruman goes to the shire and enslaves all the hobbits making them grow him weed

Yeah, they had foreshadowing in the book of that, parts of which were left in the movie. First, there is a hint or two when Gandalf is talking to Saruman ("Council of Elrond" in the book), then Sam sees the Shire enslaved in Galadriels mirror (Frodo saw something similar to this in the movie), and last but not least there is that part where Merry and Pippin are smoking pipeweed after the seige of Isengard. Though it wasn't mentioned in the movie, they clearly state that it is Shire weed and that they find it kind of odd that Saruman had some.

So, in the end, either Saruman had been planning the invasion for several years and put it into action when his little empire fell, or he had already taken control between the time the Hobbits left the Shire and the time Isengard was sacked. It probably says which one in the book somewhere, but I can't remember.

I think Back to the Future was the first fully planned trilogy made, although it certainly doesn't compare to Lord of the Rings.

Ichor said:

I think Back to the Future was the first fully planned trilogy made, although it certainly doesn't compare to Lord of the Rings.

They actualy planned the third part?

Good lord. I always figured someone got drunk when they were trying to think of a third part.

Ichor said:

i think back to the future is way cooler.

I just saw it. Whoa. That was great! Samwise had some nice parts in it too. Finally one that didn't leave you on the edge of your seat. But, [n00b question ahead] why did Gandalf and Frodo have to leave on the ship, with Elf Smith?

frodo had to leave because the nazgul's sword wound was slowly killing him, and he would be OK outside of middle earth.

im still sore about the weed bit not being in it :( (in the extended TTT, merry and pippin find saruman's stash, ahaha)