Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Melfice

The Doom64 TC: Latest and Final Update/Release

Here's what's changed. Since the last update here, stuff has been added like bug fixes and the level Hectic. But here's the newest changes from the last two versions:

+New Cheat added (complete map38)
+Map 37 is now a demo map (accessed after map36)
+Map36 updated
+New glowing height modifier added
+New Absolution.exe added
+Missing secrets fixed
+Added linedef to trigger secrets rather than sector type #9
+Lots of bugs fixed
+Most GL holes fixed
+Player Radius has been lowered to avoid savegame/stuck in walls bug.
+Multiplayer menu removed
+demos removed
+Fixed Map17 spawn bug (line type 996 can be re-used over and over, switched back to normal xg)
+Added two new flags for linedefs - Any Trigger and Pass Through
+Added FadeAway (removes mobjs in tagged sectors) Types 997(use) and 998(cross)
+Added 16 bit wav sounds for main wad
+Faq updated
+Added editing guide

Download at the Doom Depot

Before you play this, you must do the following:

Due to legality issues, etc., with it being its own .exe now, it has been made so that you are required to have a copy of the Doom2 iwad inside the Absolution>Bin folder for it to work. Without this, you will not beable to play.

The new linedefs are for DeePsea and Doom Builder users. They are meant to duplicate XG Scripting, which is what is used for the TC. The reason for this is because the fact of the matter is, is that XG is very long and pointless at times, regardless of what you can do with it.

Online/Multiplayer capabilities have been taken out. The reason for this being is that there was no way to get this thing to run right online. It's been worked on, and worked on, and worked on, and its not going anywhere. It would indeed be cool if it could be done, but alas, it cannot. It was however said early on when we were working on this that it wasn't meant for DM/Coop. The TC Team's Apologies.

Also, as said, there is an editing guide now. We hope to see more people trying to make custom wads to use with this TC :) And since we're on the subject, you may or may not know about Dark Nexus. It is my personal project, with a team that follows (some from the original TC team, some from elsewhere) of mappers that are coming together to bring you an awesome and terrifying experience, with 40 brand new maps, 35 of which are not secret. It will be for JDoom using the original TC's sources, and then for Legacy, using modified versions of the TC's sources so that it is as close to an awesome of an experience as that you would have on JDoom. If you want more info, visit The Dark Nexus Home Page. I apologize for the slowness, I'm going to speed up the typing effects, etc., upon finding time. Also look for a awesome demo level of the TC to be released for JDoom soon, and sometime after that, for Legacy.

If you have any questions, feel free to post here, PM, or email. Kaiser aka Deathman will beable to answer most of the technical questions regarding the TC, you can PM him as "Deathman" here, or AIM him at Kaiser6464.

I downloaded the TC yesterday or the day before (I can't remember) -- will I have to redownload it, or did I already get the good version. Also, is the editing guide in the .zip?

I still think you should redo every level for Deathmatch only. Just make it so anything blocking the way is open, like the Terraformer, remove keyed doors and any trick doors that open on one side but not the other and all the enemies. Maybe leave the exits, I dunno, some people like DM's with exits. Please? Dude, if you do that you will be my hero. You already have the maps, so just removing all the items and linedefs and such shouldn't be hard, should it? Or do I know nothing about this?

Skunkboy Kyle said:

I still think you should redo every level for Deathmatch only. Just make it so anything blocking the way is open, like the Terraformer, remove keyed doors and any trick doors that open on one side but not the other and all the enemies. Maybe leave the exits, I dunno, some people like DM's with exits. Please? Dude, if you do that you will be my hero. You already have the maps, so just removing all the items and linedefs and such shouldn't be hard, should it? Or do I know nothing about this?

Most of the levels already support deathmatch.

But I'd like em better the way I'm talking about. Like, Terraformer, I'd like to go all the way thru Terraformer in DM without having to open doors, start the Terraformer, ect.
If I could edit maps and learn to do what I want to do, I'd do it myself. But I'm too use to the "drop sprite number assign" method of BUILD and have no idea how linedef's work...

wrong forum-o

Due to legality issues, etc., with it being its own .exe now, it has been made so that you are required to have a copy of the Doom2 iwad inside the Absolution>Bin folder for it to work. Without this, you will not beable to play.

so did you guys finally make your own exe to avoid having to fix it every time jdoom breaks it with a new version? good to see backwards compatability is a priority with jdoom, especially with what amounts to its only mod

Job said:

I downloaded the TC yesterday or the day before (I can't remember) -- will I have to redownload it, or did I already get the good version. Also, is the editing guide in the .zip?

you already got the good version. (but I had to apply a small patch to the exe because of crashes in the control panel. if that happens, just pm me)

both cfg files for Deepsea, and Doom Builder are included as well a small readme.txt for the extended features for editing the tc.

cyber-menace said:

Speaking of music wads. How do you add files (Such as Music wads) to the execution of Absolution.exe so I can actually use the music wads?

place the wads to /bin/data/doom64/auto

Cyb said:

so did you guys finally make your own exe to avoid having to fix it every time jdoom breaks it with a new version? good to see backwards compatability is a priority with jdoom, especially with what amounts to its only mod

the reason for the tc now being a "stand-alone" mod was because the oringinal doomsday was causing a lot of limits and hold backs (one of those limits was the plane glowing effects). And yes, to also prevent constant updates, especially since Doomsday is getting a total makeover for version 1.8.

the exe for the tc is based on 1.7.13, and from what I see, version 1.7.13 fixes all, or most of doomsday's serious bugs. so the versions after 1.7.13 will be pretty much have add-ons

also, during when the TC used Doomsday to run, many people seemed to get confused when having to use Kickstart to launch the game, so we figured just make our own exe that launches the game by itself..

Skunkboy Kyle said:
...Crap about DM in the TC...

As I already stated, the DM capabilities have been taken out, period. Or atleast so I was told. I haven't had the chance to download it and check this out for myself yet, due to lack of time and my 56k modem. To restate what I said, it is too erronous and the team is tired of trying to figure out how to get it to work right. And once again, as I said, before this thing was even released, we stated that it wasn't meant for multiplayer in the begin with. If someone wants, go ahead and try to make a DM version of the TC, more power to you.

Melfice said:

If someone wants, go ahead and try to make a DM version of the TC, more power to you.

If I am motivated enough, I'll do it myself.

Well a couple of the things I read on the website I thought were easily fixable.
For one, the bridges: yes, supposedly, the bridges are true pseudo 3-d or something that makes it where its a real bridge (not a grating made of sprites) over an area that you can also go under. Why not have it be one of those sprite bridges with some kind of overlaying sprite to cover these grating marks like I have done in Duke Nukem 3D before? Or is that not possible?
For two, spawning enemies: A DM version of Doom 64 made just for DM would remove these enemies, correct?
And there are other things but I can't remember them nor wish to look them up.
Maybe I'll give a wack at it in Doom Builder, but I have to MAKE a level first.
I have yet to do even that... O_O

I for one don't see how maps like Doom64's would be good for DM at all. Alot of them are rather large. Also, judging by the fact that JDoom's netcode can maybe, just maybe, handle 3 players max, I don't see the fun in running through huge maps just to find your opponent.

Besides, when me and Kaiser DID try testing the multiplayer in Doom64, the host's (Kaiser) JDoom crashed just by a client (Me) attempting to search the server list for the server.

Anyway, Nice update Kaiser.

Skunkboy Kyle said:

Yeah but if you remove all the cool little story effects (ex:: terraformer) you could EASILY run all the maps in Zdoom.

No. You're wrong. There's Room over Room and GL only effects too.

BlackFish said:

No. You're wrong. There's Room over Room and GL only effects too.

The Room over Room effects are all fake and many of them (probably not all) can be replicated in ZDoom. The GL effects are certainly nice but are mere eye candy without any function. Most of it can easily be taken out without affecting playability. The biggest problem might be the extensive use of colored lighting which a palette based renderer cannot do well. Most likely the Doom64 levels will look like shit in ZDoom but aside from that and a few visual glitches it should be possible to do these levels in ZDoom.

I don't know if there's a place for Doom64 error reports, but in map04 of the TC, there's a missing bit of linedef by one of the doors in a base courtyard. Just thought I'd let you guys know.

missing linedef? you mean gl hole?

its the rendering system that doomsday uses, for some reason, it does not like 1 length size linedefs..

everything was good until doomsday version 1.7.12, from there all sorts of rendering bugs popped out...

One last thing. I noticed that somehow a lost soul got into the motherdemon's cubicle in the center of the last level and caused it to come out. From there, it was shot up and destroyed by some arachnotrons.

I downloaded the update today. I was psyched because I was actually able to play the damn thing. It crashed JDOOM each and every time I tried to load it before no matter what settings I used.
Thanks.

Job said:

One last thing. I noticed that somehow a lost soul got into the motherdemon's cubicle in the center of the last level and caused it to come out. From there, it was shot up and destroyed by some arachnotrons.

yeah, XG scripting is very limited to do anything. I should of used JHexen as the base for the TC...
but I don't understand how a lost soul caused the motherdemon to appear after I set a xg line to detect when the other monsters are dead...

nothing isn't perfect, but it still delivers what it promises...

Graf Zahl said:

The Room over Room effects are all fake and many of them (probably not all) can be replicated in ZDoom. The GL effects are certainly nice but are mere eye candy without any function. Most of it can easily be taken out without affecting playability. The biggest problem might be the extensive use of colored lighting which a palette based renderer cannot do well. Most likely the Doom64 levels will look like shit in ZDoom but aside from that and a few visual glitches it should be possible to do these levels in ZDoom.

No it can't

All of the pseudo-3D floors in the Doom64 TC use special sky tricks which don't look right in software ports, and some of the openGL engines too (I think I remember it not working in the latest version of zdoomGL either)

Alright, would it be possible to take Zdoom, run the Doom64 wad as a PWAD, and run some other wad (let's say this week's /newstuff Castle Of Blood) (edit: previous example bad.) and get all of the Doom 64 graphics in Doom 2 levels? Or does it not work like that? (I remember being able to do this with Hellraiser Doom 2. ^_^)

There might be some JDoom specific stuff in the TC and this would probably cause Zdoom to have one of its fancy fatal error screens we hate so much.

500th POST

AgentSpork said:

No it can't

All of the pseudo-3D floors in the Doom64 TC use special sky tricks which don't look right in software ports, and some of the openGL engines too (I think I remember it not working in the latest version of zdoomGL either)

As I said: Visual glitches. The bridge itself will work in ZDoom it only doesn't look right.

Skunkboy Kyle said:

Alright, would it be possible to take Zdoom, run the Doom64 wad as a PWAD, and run some other wad (let's say this week's /newstuff Castle Of Blood) (edit: previous example bad.) and get all of the Doom 64 graphics in Doom 2 levels? Or does it not work like that? (I remember being able to do this with Hellraiser Doom 2. ^_^)

You can't use the Doom64 WAD with a software renderer because it doesn't contain a valid colormap lump so almost anything will look like total shit (at least in the last version I checked. I don't know whether any source port creates those on the fly or not. If it does it might work.

Furthermore you cannot easily combine Doom and Doom64 graphics because they are using different palettes.