Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Skunkboy Kyle

Doom Builder Problems (Not A Bug)

I was working on a level, one I was actualy going to complete (and I hope the computer crash didn't fuck it up or I'm going to be pissed) and I had some problems. These aren't bugs so...

First off, I couldn't get the light textures aligned. Why can't you align ceiling textures, or am I doing something wrong?

Second, I was trying to create a bunch of sectors for some faded lighting...
(Figure one)

But when I try to select the individual sectors, it either selects the entire thing as one big sector, except for a few parts, or it'll select individual walls as sectors. You didn't read wrong, it was selecting walls with the sector tool. There is only one wall there (I think) so I don't believe that's the problem. Why does it do this and how can I remedy it?

Skunkboy Kyle said:

First off, I couldn't get the light textures aligned. Why can't you align ceiling textures, or am I doing something wrong?

In normal doom(2), flats lie on a fixed 64x64 grid. Some source ports allow you to change this.

But when I try to select the individual sectors, it either selects the entire thing as one big sector, except for a few parts, or it'll select individual walls as sectors. You didn't read wrong, it was selecting walls with the sector tool. There is only one wall there (I think) so I don't believe that's the problem. Why does it do this and how can I remedy it?

It sounds like your sector references are invalid. Meaning that the lines which make up a particular sector are not connected or ordered the way they should be. You'll have to change them manually, unless DB has some amazing tool that I havent heard of.

1. Well, you may have noticed that all the flats (floor and ceiling textures) are 64x64 pixels in size. In this manner, they will always tile perfectly. The downside being that, unless you are using a source port, you cannot change their alignment.

2. Im not too experienced with DB (I use wadAuthor), but you should somehow be able to view the properties of a line, like it's texture, offets, and triggers (if applicable). Somewhere in that body of information will be the sector referrence.

1. Okay, well, I have to move my intire level to match the lighting then?
2. Oh, okay, I think all of them are set to like sector 0 or something...I'll fix it.

Skunkboy Kyle said:

1. Okay, well, I have to move my intire level to match the lighting then?

Well, sort of. You'll notice however that the editor window has those nifty grid lines. Assuming you're using the default display setup for grid lines, Each of those "boxes" formed by the lines should represent how floors and ceilings will be tiled. That can help alot when it comes to planning for things like ceiling lights and stuff. But yeah, you'll just sort of have to plan around the grid if you're going to include things like ceiling lights which are dependent on the grid.

Okay so I lost the level thanks to the computer crash so I redid it. It doesn't look exactly the same but at least all the lights match up now.
Only one problem exists, the sectors don't. What I mean by that is I tried reassigning problem linedefs to their correct sectors, but when I did that... well... they disappeared. They aren't sectors anymore, now they're just walls... O_O

Okay, I figured it out, but it only lets me put the sector as 0. There is no 1 etc...

I'm really begining to dispise this. :P DN3D was much easier to make levels for.

Level editing is getting real fun... I fixed some of my problems and found out how to create surplus sectors for use on my map for things like lighting, but then the textures stopped working and I gave up for the night. Right now I have four identical rooms, symetrical in shape, connected by a room filled with blood and a very cool pillar I designed. I'm going to add the lighting effects, put in some doors for the blood room and pathways leading into the other symetrical rooms. Then I'll add two more rooms and those will be the CTF rooms and I'll finish it up, then turn the item placement over to Johnny. Then my CTF map will be finished.
My first Doom map, and it's a pain in the ass. -.-

Skunkboy Kyle said:

My first Doom map, and it's a pain in the ass. -.-

Yeah at first I couldn't get used to Doom editing either, but eventually I got the hang of it, and now creating Doom, Doom2, or Heretic levels is a breeze. :)

when you create a sector you need to lay the lines down in a clockwise fashion (though i do not know why). walls (the solid white lines) should have the linedef markers pointing into the sectors. in your screen shot there are lots and lots of linedefs pointing out into the void. it all means that your sectors are, simply, inside out because you made them wrong!

here we go. the mouse pointer isnt there but it should help

Heh, notice how a lot of your lines are facing the wrong way.

Yeah, I have a new problem now, but I'll get to it later.
It has to do with the sectors glitching and making themseleves in 3-d larger than they truely are. (One sector is 64x64 and has extended itself to 64x320)

You broke your sector? I bet you removed a line and now your sector is no longer closed. Try this tutorial by Doom Dude, learns you some basics: http://megawad.newdoom.com/db.shtml

Doom Dude: finish that tutorial man! :P ya gotta keep up the good work ;) (and your pics at the bottom are broken)

Gherkin said:

You broke your sector? I bet you removed a line and now your sector is no longer closed. Try this tutorial by Doom Dude, learns you some basics: http://megawad.newdoom.com/db.shtml

Doom Dude: finish that tutorial man! :P ya gotta keep up the good work ;) (and your pics at the bottom are broken)

Roger that. I'll do more work on that as soon as I finish my beer. Maybe if I actually uploaded the pics they would actually load. :p

Yeah, his tute helped me a bit! ^_^

Thats good. Better to help a bit than not at all. ;)

How can the lines be facing outward!?!?! I know my version of DB automatically corrects me if I do THAT.... Weird..

DoomDiz said:

How can the lines be facing outward!?!?! I know my version of DB automatically corrects me if I do THAT.... Weird..

Well yeah because in DB you can draw counter-clockwise and it works properly. At least from a few tests I did it was fine. heh

Well I'd like to try and fix em, then add my lighting effects. I'll post a gif of my current level as is without correct texturing. It's going to be very simple. Cyb is going to hate it. But I'm going to love it. The idea behind it is all based on one texture colored 9 diffrent ways, two of which are red and blue. I hope it's a fun map.

ARGH!! TOO........SIMPLE....... CANT..........STAND....BORINGNESS....OF..LEVEL.... *DEAD*

Look what you did, you killed poor DoomDiz.... nice going. :(

Looks like it'd be more suited to deathmatch, and even then it looks a little cramped. Also you'd probably want to add more detail, looks far too simple at the moment.

It's not finished yet, it's going to have lighting out the ass like in the above shot all the way at the top of the thread. The lighting is going to rock me thinks. ^_^

Go go copy paste and rotate! :D There's nothing wrong with that layout mind, but for Single Player it might get a tad redundant, it looks like it might work for Deathmatch though. Lighting is good, mind you, but it doesn't make a level.

Who said I was doing single player?
I clearly stated above this was going to be a CTF map, but I've been changing my mind lately. I think it would be fun to start everyone off in the tunnels and have them search for the diffrent weapons at each outpost and make every wall exactly the same, so they have to search for their prizes... and add a secret in the center...