Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
insertwackynamehere

Game Problem

I've noticed this for a while, but now I can't frickin take it. A whole lot of my OpenGL games freeze up, without any warning, and my [dad's] computer won't budge, until I turn off the switch, and turn it back on again. I want to play Jedi Academy, which I just got for Christmas, but it keeps freezing. No One Lives Forever 2, GLTron, and jDoom, are other examples. My graphics card is fairly good (RADEON 8500 SERIES) and so is my comp. For more specs that you think you need to help solve my problem, just ask.

fp!

does anyone remember the days when developers were more concerened about gameplay, not graphics, and you didn't have to worry about having all these fancy dancy 3d cards and shit?

Alot of c64 games were like that, but then, the majority either didn't make sense, completly senseless, or didnt work :p

It could be that either the cpu is overheating, or the 3d card is?

I had this exact same problem on my laptop for a long time. It ended up being something that got fried on my mother board, and nothing to do with the videocard or drivers. Toshiba just replaced it to fix the problem.

As already stated, drivers are likely the culprit. Make sure you have the latest Catalyst release; if you already do, try using a slightly older version. Many games now offer the option to run in either Direct3D or OpenGL, so when presented with an alternative to OpenGL, take it.

Thats why I hate open GL actully I'm just fucking sick of video cards all together I'v had nothing bout problems with them ever since I first bought a voodoo 3

OpenGL is too weird! On my moms computer, which suprises me, I can run any OpenGL just fine, and it's a peice of shit... but on my old computer I can't even run jDoom period unless I put it into D3D, in which everything gets black rectangles around it.

Tyockell said:

Thats why I hate open GL actully I'm just fucking sick of video cards all together I'v had nothing bout problems with them ever since I first bought a voodoo 3

Just be like me and never, ever buy a 3d card. Problem solved. :P

finally skunkboy, you didn't scream or yell, or be an ass. oh and uh, if this isn't video card related, you should take it to a shop and get it checked. maybe your power and is going out, or you got a backdoor virus (the type virus scanners have no idea what they are)

The latest Catalyst (3.9) drivers are extremely buggy. 3.5 seems to be the last truly solid release.

I also find OpenGL/Direct3D games to be annoying. They don't really add anything to the fun factor. But then again, there hasn't been a new video game that I've really wanted in about 3-4 years.

AndrewB said:

The latest Catalyst (3.9) drivers are extremely buggy. 3.5 seems to be the last truly solid release.

Odd, I haven't had a single problem with the 3.9 drivers on my Radeon 256 9800Pro. If anything, they work a little bit better for me.