Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
boris

WIP opens its gates

Well well, for the last couple days I've been working on a website, called WIP - WADs In Progress. It's like The Pipeline, but for Doom maps only. If you don't know The Pipeline, here's what the page is for: level editors can post screenshots of their work-in-progress maps, and other users can post comments/feedback on those shots.
If you want to post screenshots of your WAD or post comments on other people's shots you have to register first.
Right now there are already shots of two WADs up, so make sure to check it out!

Oh yeah, after adding a WAD it has to be approved by an admin first, so it will not show up immediately! Depending on when you submit your WAD it might take a couple hours!

Hooray! I can show off my cube level now. :P (There is an other option there. :) )

As the page said it's for Doom engine maps only. To show off Cube maps go to http://pipeline.fov120.com

Edit: hmm, maybe I should accept Cube maps. After all it's pretty similar to Doom. But before you guys come up with crazy ideas, I won't accept Wolf3d screenshots :P

Yeah, that is a really great idea, thanks for implementing it! Maybe you could add the size of the wad i.e. single level, episode, megawad, PC, TC, etc. And maybe a way to search by author?

Thanks for the kind words :) I pute quite a bit work into it, so I'm happy that people are actually using it. Oh, and you're also allowed to post comments on other people's WADs ;)

Kid Airbag said:

Yeah, that is a really great idea, thanks for implementing it! Maybe you could add the size of the wad i.e. single level, episode, megawad, PC, TC, etc. And maybe a way to search by author?

Good ideas, depending on how much WIP is used I'll add more features over the time.

Edit: I just added my map idea generator to the site :D
If I add "size" of the wad to the menu it will get even longer :| Maybe I should add drop-down menus, or just have a search option for game, mode status on the front page and everything else on another "advanced search" page. Any thoughts about that?

Great idea there boris! It's nice to see something original (in the Doom community that is).

Incredible... looks like I'm going to be first in Doom -> ZDoom ^_^ heh, screenies coming right up

Bwahahahaha! Sarge's making Doom1 maps!
nothing to laugh about... I make them too :]

I understand the site just opened and everything, but I hope we will have great flexiblity in the future. For example:

+Room for more screenshots (and maybe captions for each shot)
+HTML Support / Text Formatting
+Modifying just about anything (deleting as well)
+Progress Bar showing percentages or something similar

You get the point. I think it's vital that those things are programmed into the backend so that those maintaining their wads don't have to go through so much trouble being as limited as they are.

Good job on the site, Boris, it's probably more than I could ever do :P

More screenshots: unlikely, 3 should be enough. If you want to supply more just upload them somewhere else and put a link to it in the description. A caption is a good idea though

HTML: I don't really see the use of it there. If the demand is big enough I might add vB/BB style code for bold, underline, italics...

Modifying/deleting: well, you can already modify everything about your WADs except the screenshots. Deleting your WADs will be possible. Maybe I'll also add an option to modify your comments.
When it's possible to upload new screenshots, the changes will have to be re-approved by an admin (so people don't upload crap after it got approved)

Progress bar: unlikely to be added

Heh, Converted Doomer should send screenshots of his ATTRITION there. But three screenshots would definately not be enough, considering that the level is enourmous.

That's nothing compared to trying to fit an entire hub into three screenshots.

So, boris, can you tell when will we be able to modify the screens? My E1M3 looks very dull for now, and there are more screens awaiting in queue...

ellmo said:

So, boris, can you tell when will we be able to modify the screens? My E1M3 looks very dull for now, and there are more screens awaiting in queue...

I'll change it when I come around to do it. Didn't you read the rules? ;)

Screen shots have to have a resolution of 640x400 or 640x480 and can be in GIF, JPG or PNG, the thumbnails will be generated automatically.
NOTE: right now you can't add/replace screen shots after you have posted your WAD, so make sure your screen shots are good (good contrast, good colors), or fix them in some paint program if necessary.

Why dont you allow 320x240 and 320x200 screenshots? I know all you see is like 2 pixels ceiling, 3 pixels floor and 4 pixels textures, but 320x200 IS the original Doom screen resolution.

Gherkin said:

Why dont you allow 320x240 and 320x200 screenshots? I know all you see is like 2 pixels ceiling, 3 pixels floor and 4 pixels textures, but 320x200 IS the original Doom screen resolution.

There's a point in all this what Gherkin said. Maybe you could consider allowing all screens UP TO 640x480 resolution, boris... this would save trouble to many people...

And about the rules. Darn, I dindn't read them... you're right *me sorry*