Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Apothem

Skyboxes in doom2

Ive been having this problem lately with skyboxes in doom2
i have everything set up correctly however it doesnt seem to work right, heres the setup of the two sectors
the outer sector is 128 high and has f_sky1 as its ceiling texture and the wall of ashwall1, and the inner sector is 500 high and has the upper texture of sky2 (city sky)
however when this is done, i only get sky 1 as the upper texture and not anything else. any help here?

I didn't think you could mix two sky texures together in the same wad... Or that was how I was taught, anyway.

Apothem said:

Ive been having this problem lately with skyboxes in doom2
i have everything set up correctly however it doesnt seem to work right, heres the setup of the two sectors
the outer sector is 128 high and has f_sky1 as its ceiling texture and the wall of ashwall1, and the inner sector is 500 high and has the upper texture of sky2 (city sky)
however when this is done, i only get sky 1 as the upper texture and not anything else. any help here?

You simply cannot specify a sky texture on the wall. In Vanilla Doom the sky is only determined by the level. MAP01-MAP10 use SKY1, MAP11-MAP20 use SKY2, the rest uses SKY3. If you need different skies you have to use a source port that allows specifying the sky per level. If you need more than one sky in a level you'll have to use an MBF compatible source port (MBF has a per-sector sky transfer special.)

Graf Zahl said:

If you need more than one sky in a level you'll have to use an MBF compatible source port (MBF has a per-sector sky transfer special.)

ZDoom can have multiple skyboxes in one level. AFAIK Hexen can also have 2 skies in one level.

I think Hexen's multiple skys per level are only used for lightning. SKY1 defined in the mapinfo will be shown when there's no lightning and when there is lightning SKY2 will be shown. I also think it allows for layered skys (so you can have moving clouds and such) but I don't think it allows for multiple skys per map in the same sense MBF (and thus Eternity, prBoom, ZDoom, Legacy?) allow.

ahh, you are correct, I thought that sector special was specific to ZDoom and I didn't bother to check :P

boris said:

ZDoom can have multiple skyboxes in one level. AFAIK Hexen can also have 2 skies in one level.

ZDoom also supports the MBF sky transfer so it is automatically included. (although the skyboxes are technically very different) ;-) I think we were talking 'normal' skies here. Sky boxes are nice for special effects but I haven't seen many maps where they replace a regular sky that did it well.

Cyb said:

I don't think it allows for multiple skys per map in the same sense MBF (and thus Eternity, prBoom, ZDoom, Legacy?) allow.

Legacy? Wat are you thinking? Of course Legacy does NOT support the MBF sky transfer. It barely supports Boom. :-D

Thank god then,because i thought it was something i was doin, the map im making is replaceing lvl 11 so everything should be cool.thanks everyone

The only thing I know legacy can do is have a new sky for each level, using a fragglescript header, like

[level info]
skyname = texture

or something like that. Last time I checked legacy didn't support MBF Sky Transferring

Graf Zahl said:

ZDoom also supports the MBF sky transfer so it is automatically included. (although the skyboxes are technically very different) ;-) I think we were talking 'normal' skies here. Sky boxes are nice for special effects but I haven't seen many maps where they replace a regular sky that did it well.

ZDoom can also put a diff skybox on the floor and the ceiling of the same sector, just for completeness sake or something

Graf Zahl said:

Legacy? Wat are you thinking? Of course Legacy does NOT support the MBF sky transfer. It barely supports Boom. :-D

shows how much I use legacy :P

Legacy DID have skyboxes, but they took them out and never mentioned it, and when i complained on thier forum they locked the thread heh

No matter how many times I am told this, I am not sure what in tarnation a Skybox is. May I ask what it is? Or an example? I like boxes and the sky is cool, so its gotta be something I'd fancy. :D

Its a room, basically, and the view of the room from a tagged linedef is displayed as the sky, this allows you to have 'mountains' on the walls of the room, and clouds on the ceiling, using boom 'conveyor belt' specials you can even have moving clouds, you can also put objects such as trees in the room, though they will appear to be huge and towering over the entire level