Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MaxWindiff

Doom Builder building

Hello everyone~
I am a new user of Doom Builder 1.3, I have a problem in building the maps.

When I create a simple map (two connected/disconnected sectors, one playerstart) and try to build it, the program goes crazy. The two sectors are still there, but the vertices move to random places. You can see a screenshot here:

(before)
http://personal.ie.cuhk.edu.hk/~tng2/doombuilder_1.png
(after)
http://personal.ie.cuhk.edu.hk/~tng2/doombuilder_2.png

I have tried to use it in my school' computer running Win2000, and the editor works well. However in my home PC running WinXP, it has this problem. I have tried to switch to another node builder but the problem remains. I have also attempted to run the editor and/or node builder in "Win2000 Compatibility Mode", but it doesn't help too.

Does any know a solution to this?
Thanks so much!

I never seen this before! This is very odd.
Try using the quick nodebuilder settings from a profile (dropdown box at the top in nodebuilder options) Try all of them. However, im afraid something else on your system messes things up. Is your system clean, did you update your windows? Try that.

Umm... I have did a windows update and tried the fast build options, but the problem is still there.

Today I tried to find out some details about the problem. First I tried to create a simple map (again with two sectors and 1 player start). Then I saved it while asking Doom Builder not to build the nodes. When I open the WAD in a hex editor, I found that the THINGS, LINEDEFS and SECTORS sections are empty. The file size is also too small - only 109 bytes.

Then I opened a map in Doom 2, and used "File -> Save Map into..." to save it as an individual PWAD. When I tried to load it in Doom Builder, it crashed, so I open it with a hex editor again. Now the file contains some... stuffs like texture names and binary data. But the THINGS, LINEDEFS and SECTORS are still empty. The PWAD can be found here:

http://personal.ie.cuhk.edu.hk/~tng2/map01.wad

I hope this will help.

Oh yeah, Gherkin, I've had this problem too. I never said anything because frankly I figured along with that and the other 40000 times something has gone wrong with your program it would take too freaking long to explain them all.

Skunkboy Kyle: lol

MaxWindiff: Thanks, I think you spotted a bug here. (But if you DO build nodes when saving the map it should work fine.)

MaxWindiff: Thanks, I think you spotted a bug here. (But if you DO build nodes when saving the map it should work fine.)

Sorry I don't understand... do you mean if I config Doom Builder to "Always rebuild nodes", it will be fine?

"Build nodes when map structure changed", should work fine, except for Things changes it will ignore them until you manually click the Build Nodes button.

Ill be fixing this issue.