Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Bashe

Extending skies

How do I make skies tall enough to look up and still see all of the sky without turning on "stretch short skies?"

What size should the sky be?

Uuuuuuh... heh heh. I said "extend."

Bashe said:

How do I make skies tall enough to look up and still see all of the sky without turning on "stretch short skies?"

Use a paint program to extend them at the top or bottom. It really depends only on your artistic skills. What skies do you need anyway?

256 wide, 240 high, make 4 of them for non-repeating skies as well (See earth.wad for a cool example of a non-repeating tall sky)

Also, doom legacy has tall versions of the doom 2 skies included, open up legacy.dat (it used to be called doom3.wad) in XWE or something

I'm just using episode 4's orange sky but I'm gonna put a building in the middle of it.

How do I make a non-repeating sky? I think I have to make another section of the sky.

Okay, something went wrong.

I tried to make my own skies (non-repeating), so I made 4 and put them all into the wad, but when I played it looked all dumb and stuff.

What happened?

EDIT: is that better, deathbringer?

Bashe said:

How do I make a non-repeating sky? .... What happened?

To make non-repeating (wrap-around)skies, insert four 256-wide patches into your wad, then insert your patches into the sky texture and align them. If this is what you did, your sky should look fine.

Bashe said:

If you're using ZDoom, the height should be 227, 240 is probably best for other ports that support it.

(btw, the E4 sky looks quite alright with stretch short skies turned off, if you want to extend it then use Paint to copy/paste the entire patch and flip it upside down. Put this at the top of the extended image and connect it with the existing sky pic)

I tried making a wrap-around sky using WinTex, but after I saved it and ran the map under ZDoom I got four scrunched (horozontally compressed) repeats of the entire wide image.

I imported the textures at the right size and resolution, and aligned them to make a single wide texture in WinTex, as per WinTex instructions, so I haven't a clue as to what might have gone wrong.

Any ideas, anyone?