Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Darkhaven3

Fake 3D...

I've been thinking for a while after I noticed that Doom 64 had the pseudo 3D effect...I was inspired especially by MAP20, Breakdown, what with the bridge over the player start and all, to create a new method for Doom mappers to make their maps more flashy. So far I can get it to half-work, and I think I might know why it doesn't work completely. So, if any of you are interested, tell me and I'll post the instructions of how to get it to half-work.

MODS : THIS IS NOT A NEW PROJECT.

Well, I know how to make the 3-D bridges that most wads used, like Requiem used them a lot, and they weren't made up of sprites, but textures and they did look like a wooden bridge or something.

Anyway HERE is a screenshot of what I can do. Do you mean this?

Aahh...Close, but I mean Doom64 type Fake3D.

Now I have something that barely works under Doom2.exe, but I'm getting to where if you look past all the tutti-frutti, you can see on top of the bridge.

Doom64 (the original N64 one) either used OpenGL-like hacks so you could see above/below the ceiling and floor (and then changed floor/ceiling heights when you aren't looking), or added something akin to Transfer_Heights to draw extra sets of floors/ceilings and used invisible things so you can stand on them.

The oringinal Doom64 used self referencing sectors to create the 3d bridges, and had a linedef type to switch the floors of the bridges when the player reaches to the top area, that was why there was always a structure in the way when the player gets to the top of the bridge so he can't see the bridges change. Also if you notice, there was always some kind of a small gap in the bridges, because if the self referencing sector touched a actual wall/platform, then the ceiling height of that unclosed sector will effect the wall as well, creating homs, gl holes etc. The self referencing sector trick only works with f_sky1 being the flat for the ceiling because with the sky as the ceiling flat, this creates a "see through" effect, meaning if you had a sector lowered by 256 and had the unclosed sector lowered by 128 in front of the other sector, then you will only see half of that 256 sector and still see the rest of the area behind the part that was covered...confusing eh?

In some open gl ports, this can be done. I think ZdoomGL, Jdoom, and Legacy can do this.

true, but not too well because it leaves a huge "sky" hole, which requires a third sector thats 1 unit apart to the unclosed sector. This is not recomended to do for Jdoom unless you are editing for the D64 TC. Instead, just use Risen 3d since it supports full 3d object support.

Zdoomgl is the only port that can do the 3d effect perfectly.