Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Krivanka

Which Doom should I get?

Hey I havent played doom since I was about 7 years old in 94. I'm now about to turn 18 in 04 (Ive been reading these forums on and off for about a year or two though). I was wondering though, I went to ID Software dot com and checked out some of their files. My questions are: Has anyone here ever bought a doom game off their site? I mean it's for download and I'd like to know if anyone else has done it and hear some feedback before I give them my 25$. Also if I do buy, does Ultimate doom contain Doom 1 and 2? Does Final Doom contain Doom 1 and 2? Which of these would give me the most doom games: Ultimate Doom or Final Doom. Are those like expansion packs with Doom 2 and 1 built in to them? Also another thing is I really want to watch some Doom2 speed runs so if ultimate doom or final doom doesn't include doom2, I wouldn't want either Ultimate doom or final doom. So my to the point questions are

1) has anyone bought a doom game off idsoftware.com? and how fast/easy was it
2) Does ultimate doom contain Doom1 and Doom2? Does final doom contain Doom1 and doom2

Doom: Doom 1
Ultimate Doom: Doom 1 + episode 4, Thy Flesh Consumed
Doom 2: Doom 2
Final Doom: Final Doom + TNT Evilution(I think)

If I were you, I'd become a collector and get them all.

Ultimate Doom contains all three episodes of Doom plus an extra one.
Final Doom contains two new 32 level wadfiles (essentially two new megawads). I think you'll still need Doom 2 though.

I haven't bought anything from id. I only bought them from stores (they're still around in some places at or near the bottom of the bargain bins). And to answer your first question, get Ultimate Doom and Doom 2. Final Doom is optional, but it's not bad. Finally, get Doom 3 when it's released (we don't know exactly when just yet).

Thanks for the fast reply but at 25$ a pop I can't afford that. I have 6 Piranahs to feed after all! So could I download Doom2 speed run demos and Ultimate doom would have the right stuff for me to watch them? (because thats my main concern is if I can watch doom2 speed runs or not)

To watch Doom2 demos, you'll need Doom2. The same goes for Ultimate Doom and Final Doom demos. Just because you have TNT, Plutonia, or Doom, doesn't mean you can watch Doom2 speedruns, sorry.

Thanks that's what I wanted to hear lol. So no one ever bought off id software eh... I was reading a thread below this one and it says a doom newbie asks what the demon says in M30 of doom2. Well, does it actually say anything or is it just a bunch of nothing. Also if I buy doom 2 where do I get patches at and I'm assuming Zdoom will work with demos? Thanks lol

1 - To win the game you must kill me John Romero. (it's backwards)
2 - Upgrade patches can be found here among other places.
3 - ZDoom is generally used for demos, although different versions may not be compatible, meaning a demo recorded on version 42 probably won't work on version 60. Because of that, we usually tell people what version they can be played with.

Krivanka said:

...a doom newbie asks what the demon says in M30 of doom2. Well, does it actually say anything or is it just a bunch of nothing.

The demon does say something, he says "To win the game you must kill me, John Romero."

Also if I buy doom 2 where do I get patches at and I'm assuming Zdoom will work with demos? Thanks lol

You can get patches for Doom2 right here at Doomworld, and no, sorry to say, ZDoom refuses to play Doom(2).exe demos. Try a port like PRBoom or Eternity, or just the original exe itself :)

Alright thanks for all the help fellas! I'll be purchasing Doom2 at idsoftware.com as a gift from my mom for christmas (although I wont let her know about it, lol)

Get Ultimate Doom, too. Although Doom 2 has an extra weapon and more enemies, Doom has better maps and generally better gameplay and atmosphere.

Yes. Although you if you get Ultimate Doom, you're essentially getting regular doom plus extra stuff. So there's no need to get both Doom and Ultimate Doom.

All right cool Ill sneak in ultimate doom later on. I'm going to go download some demos now. I love speed runs. anyone want to reccommend some? I'm going to check the forum on hear for demos. thanks

Krivanka said:

So your saying I should get Doom, Doom2 and ultimate doom?

I'd recommend you get The Collector's Edition of Doom, it has Final Doom, Doom2, and Ultimate Doom, all in one package.

Krivanka said:

All right cool Ill sneak in ultimate doom later on. I'm going to go download some demos now. I love speed runs. anyone want to reccommend some? I'm going to check the forum on hear for demos. thanks

Go competn.cjb.net]here for a buttload of Doom, Doom2, and Final Doom demos.

Too late I already bought doom 2 :( Oh well Its on my computer already too how convienent. What is the most recent doom patch btw? Would it happen to be 1.7a?

Actually it's v.1.9. You'll need it if you want to watch Doom2 and Final Doom demos (if you get ahold of Final Doom).

Well that sux because they only included patches up to version 1.7a and I have v1.666. Any idea where i can get a 1.666 to 1.9 patch

Well, I'm assuming you have winzip.com]WinZip or something similar. Unzip these files to your Doom2 directory, and simply run the .bat files. The bat files do the necessary updating automatically IIRC.

God damnit I've been trying thsi for a while and keep getting errors.

I got these files in the 1.6 to 1.7 patch u told me to get. Patch.exe Patch.rtd and Patch.rtp

Plz help me

What version do you have now? It tells the version as you start the game.

Hi I just downloaded the game off idsoftware.com and I start it up and it says Doom2 Hellon earth: v1.666. I'm nervous dont think anyone is going to be able to help me. I'm on Windows ME

You downloaded it from idsoftware? I guess you mean you bought it from them. Anyway, first use this patch to upgrade it from 1.666 to 1.7a. Then you use this patch to upgrade it from 1.7a to 1.9.

Heres my error (taken from MS-dos)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PATCH Version 2.11 - .RTPatch(R) Professional - Software Update System
DOS and Windows Edition
(C) Copyright Pocket Soft, Inc., 1991-1994. All Rights Reserved.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-----------------------------------------------------------------
-- --
-- Updating DOOM ][ version 1.666 to version 1.7a --
-- --
-- This may take a while.... --
-- --
-----------------------------------------------------------------

----- Processing Patch File -----

Applying MODIFY File Patch for 'DOOM2.EXE'

error ept0036: Old File not found. However, a file of the same name was
found. No update done since file contents do not match.

This is the part in the readme I think im messing up on(in bold)

PATCH DIRECTIONS
-------------------------

This patch file upgrades DOOM 2 v1.7 REGISTERED to DOOM 2 v1.7a.

Unzip the PATCH.ZIP file into the DOOM 2 directory and
type 'PATCH <ENTER>' at the command line to upgrade.

CHANGES MADE
* Various level design bugs. (HOM, see thru walls, etc.).
* Sound code changes.

NOTES:
Players using DOOM 2 version 1.7a should not try to play
a net or modem game with players using version 1.666.

Ichor said:

Final Doom contains two new 32 level wadfiles (essentially two new megawads). I think you'll still need Doom 2 though.

Final Doom gives you two iwads and relevant exes - you don't need to have a separate copy of Doom2 for them to work. Having said that, if you're going to buy just one Doom game, Doom2 is the best option, since this enables you to play the most pwads and watch the most demos. (Final Doom should work with Doom2 pwads, but demos on them will not play back reliably, due to small differences in the exe.)

I'm a bit surprised to hear that you recently bought a copy of Doom2 v. 1.666. I would have thought that any new copies sold in the last eight years or so would have been v. 1.9.