Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
The Ultimate DooMer

Lord of the Rings poll

Which is the best part of the trilogy?  

43 members have voted

1. 1. Which is the best part of the trilogy?

• The Fellowship of the Ring
    • The Two Towers
    • The Return of the King

Fellowship by far, Towers being the worst (I assume you mean the movies, but it's about the same for the books). I'd elaborate but I'm lazy so I'll wait and yay/nay to other people's posts instead.

I wouldn't use the word "worst", it carries too negative of a connotation in my mind to convey the proper message.

But in essence I would agree that TTT was the weakest of the 3 parts of LOTR.

I am unable to decide between FOTR and ROTK, however.

I've seen the first two and I don't know which is better really. I'd love to see the third one.

Fellowship because it was the first one I saw and had the biggest impact on me.

The Return Of The King alot of battles and I love battles and the trolls espcialy since they were in full armour :=).

The the two towers was still great but dident enjoy it as much as the other two.

This is from someone who's pretty much a non-fan and had no prior knowledge of anything LOTR related before the movies came out, but I thought it went...

1. Return of teh King
2. Two Towers
3. Fellowship

I liked The Return of the King
2nd on my list is the Fellowship of the Ring
and last, the Two Towers

I played the Return of the King for PS2 and it rocks, The movie rocked too.

I think they all pretty much sucked, but then i'm not of very high opinion regarding the books, either.

ROTK wins as having the coolest battle scenes and an extremely cute gigantic troll drummer.

Yep, probably because the party are all together and therefore the film stays with them all the time, unlike the other two where it's constantly flicking between storylines (which seriously fucks up the battle in TTT and to a lesser extent in ROTK). That's one reason why Fellowship wins IMO.

Fellowship - I actually cared for the characters, something which was lacking in the last two.

sargebaldy said:

no no, you're thinking of the redwall series. which now that i think of it could make kickass kids movies.

PBS actually turned some of the books into movies.

I like all three of them equally, but if I HAVE to decide, I'd say The Two Towers.

ROTK was great too but there's so much in it that is NOT according to the book, and stuff that the producers have made up themselves. It's understandable when you see how long the movie might have gotten if they followed the book, but still...

FOTR was good. Hmm... Maybe that's my favourite... dunno.

personally there wasn't enough liv-tyler-getting-raped-by-orcs in any of them for the trilogy to capture my attention.

Although the Helm's Deep scene kicked ass.

You should make a distinction between theater and extended cuts. Because TTT extended owns.

doomedout said:

Fellowship - I actually cared for the characters, something which was lacking in the last two.

Sounds like hes captured the essence of the books perfectly then :)

I basically agree with Arioch.

Tobester said:

personally there wasn't enough liv-tyler-getting-raped-by-orcs in any of them for the trilogy to capture my attention.

Mmmmmmm......Liv Tyler. *gurgle* *gurgle* *gurgle* *gurgle*

the_Danarchist said:

Screw Liv Tyler. The chick who played Eowyn was uber-hot.

I'd say the same, but the other way around :-P
In fact, I think I'd like to screw 'em both :-]

dsm said:

I'd say the same, but the other way around :-P
In fact, I think I'd like to screw 'em both :-]

Damnit, thats not what I meant at all. I just think the girl who played Eowyn is really pretty.

OK, I've got to get in on this...

My votes all go for the books, because the movies miss it, in my opinion. I might actually like them better if they really sucked, but they almost make it, and that's heartbreaking. Of course, to do it right, you'd have to make the story as an extended mini-series on the SciFi Channel, like Taken or Children of Doom. Three films just aren't enough...

Right. Now for the vote: The Fellowship is my favorite because it's a much warmer book than the others. Tolkien wrote with humor and sentiment, and his characters really shine as individual personalities.

Then The Return of the King, because of it's sweeping grandure and immense scale, and because it resolves the story in such a satisfactory way.

Number three (and don't let's use the word "worst" here, since none of the books warrent it, alright?) is, of course, The Two Towers, because it's only a pivotal book, linking the others but neither starting something nor ending it. It's a bridge, and bridges are by nature...merely bridges. Necessary, but incomplete in and of themselves. Like "The Empire Stikes Back." A good movie, but it can't stand alone.

As for the LOTR movies, you can have them. All three of them. I know they cost a lot and show off brilliant digital craftsmanship, but the heart's gone. As I said, they almost made it, and that's worse than failing completely, in my estimation. Sorry, to those who like them. They do have their merits. But...!