Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Lord Raffles

Newbies & Half-Baked ideas

More often than not, the WADS & Mods section of the forum is littered with stupid newbie so-called 'projects', which always have nothing to show; no screenshots, downloads, nothing - not one scrap of evidence that the project actually has any foundation, only that some stupid newbie wants a group of talanted people to waste their time on some stupid project (the amount of trash ideas that some newbies come up with is laughable to say the least).

And I know that the opinion of other people cannot be otherwise, because it's so fucking retarded.

I have loads of good ideas but I'm not going to propose them because I know no one is going to help me. The last time I had a good idea no one would help me and I got 3% of the work done and it took two months and I said fuck it. (By the way, incase you were wondering, it was a Counterstrike mod set in Chicago in Winter)

Skunkboy Kyle said:

The last time I had a good idea no one would help me and I got 3% of the work done and it took two months and I said fuck it.

What a shining example.

Assmaster said:

What a shining example.

Huh? I was working on it like crazy, I had two new guns made, and had already made new skins, and was working on a level when I asked for help, and not on the internet either. I was asking my friends. But they didn't help me. So I was like "Well, whatever, I'll do it on my own!" After working on the level some more and getting conflicts between that and another project (Stepmania skins) I said "Fuck this, it'll never get done."

Skunkboy Kyle said:

I said "Fuck this, it'll never get done."

Then how could you possibly expect anyone to help you?

Skunkboy Kyle said:

Huh? I was working on it like crazy, I had two new guns made, and had already made new skins, and was working on a level when I asked for help, and not on the internet either. I was asking my friends. But they didn't help me. So I was like "Well, whatever, I'll do it on my own!" After working on the level some more and getting conflicts between that and another project (Stepmania skins) I said "Fuck this, it'll never get done."

...you're a disgrace.

That's why you try not to work on more than one project at a time. There are lots of people out there who are in pretty deep by committing themselves to multiple projects.

It also not a good idea to wake up one morning and say "I'm gonna make a 32-level megawad by myself!" Start off by doing a 3-6 level episode and if time progresses, make more levels, etc...

That way if you feel you've done enough, you already have something done and you still have that sense of accomplishment. If you do have the time and effort to go on, then you can eventually reach your 32-level goal.

Also, do your scripting, dehacked, and lump stuff before you start mapping. If you don't succeed in getting everything working the way you want it to, then it's likely you'll drop the project in a matter of dire frustration.

I never had a Doom project that I never finished.

...maybe except for that CTF Mod for Legacy but that doesn't count......fuckin legacy..

How am I a disgrace you fucking cocksucker? Did you ever work as hard as I did only to realise no one is going to give a shit and walk away?! You know how it feels to see your hopes and dreams crash like James Dean over and over again?! Fuck you, asshole! You don't know the first goddamn thing about the pain and suffering I've gone thru over projects!

Skunkboy Kyle said:

How am I a disgrace you fucking cocksucker? Did you ever work as hard as I did only to realise no one is going to give a shit and walk away?! You know how it feels to see your hopes and dreams crash like James Dean over and over again?! Fuck you, asshole! You don't know the first goddamn thing about the pain and suffering I've gone thru over projects!

...how encouraging, to see the mentally disabled take up Doom editing...

Skunkboy Kyle: from the sound of it you're going to be banned pretty soon, so before that happens I'd better point out that an alternative doom site, newdoom.com, exists. Have fun there!

This was done by one person with a lot of patience, something you seem to be seriously lacking.

Alot of people don't give a shit about how hard something was for someone to make. All they care about is it's quality, either in gameplay or detail. And if it doesn't meet either of those, then it doesn't matter anyhow, because no one will play your precious mod that took you hundreds of hours to make.

Skunkboy Kyle: from the sound of it you're going to be banned pretty soon, so before that happens I'd better point out that an alternative doom site, newdoom.com, exists. Have fun there!

Roofles. I got banned there for asking a question. Think they'll let him in?

I'm guessing that if you're banned by Doomworld, that automatically makes you WMull's new best friend.

EarthQuake said:

Alot of people don't give a shit about how hard something was for someone to make. All they care about is it's quality, either in gameplay or detail. And if it doesn't meet either of those, then it doesn't matter anyhow, because no one will play your precious mod that took you hundreds of hours to make.

The sweet smell of Elitism...

Skunkboy Kyle said:

You know what? You're all right, I'm wrong, just leave me alone. All I wanted to do was to make Doom wads and all you want to do is harass me.

Boo Hoo!

Sure someone may spend hours upon hours creating the layout of a level and randomly plonking the odd item and monster in it; but other people probably spend the same number of hours creating the layout of their levels, as well as even more hours adding detail, aligning textures, playtesting, etc.

Bottom line: if you only make wads for other people to play and (hopefully) enjoy, stop. Go find another hobby. Level making should be a selfish thing - you're doing it for your own enjoyment, and if other people like them, it's simply an added bonus. If they hate your wad but you like it and had fun making it, that's their loss, not yours.

I dont give a shit about what other people think about me or my WADs. I just make what I think is cool lookin'!

SkunkBoy Kyle: Please copy and paste this subroutine into your brain's behavior lump. It will help.

That's not the point at all. But you're not going to listen so why do I even bother?
Might as well close this thread now, because the flames are about to grow higher.

This will probably come as a major shock, so be prepared. The point wasn't intended for you, it was for EarthQuake (no idea where DoomDiz got the idea it was you from).

And requesting that other peoples' threads be closed isn't nice.

BTW if you so desperately want to make a Doom project with other people, the solution is staring you right in the face. Join an existing project; almost all of them are simply crying out for new talent.

In fact, there's a new Community Chest project that has just started. Try doing a map or two for that.

I feel I'm joining this thread towards the end of its life, but what I can never understand is that so many people want to start off with a project that changes monsters, graphics, etc. This is before they have even made a single map.

Surely the right way to start is to make some small or medium-sized maps without any fancy extras, with the simple aim of making them fun to play. And then to work up from there, having got the basics right.