Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Deathmatcher

Questionable Megawad content?

So, I just read the FAQ for submitting wads to the archive and it says that wads containing modified id-maps will be rejected. I am currently creating a megawad and it has a slightly modified version of E1M1 "Hangar" (by J.R.) in it. This map cannot be cut out, since it's a vital part of the story. It's the only map of its kind in my megawad, all other maps are made from scratch.
Is this a "questionable content" ?
I mean, it's shareware-level and it can be downloaded for free.
So I am not going to spread commercial content. Plus, I'm gonna credit J.R. in the text file, of course.
So, what about it?

Er, I suppose it's going to be rejected from the archives, but I don't think that means you shouldn't do it. I mean, look at the Dwango series. It has lots of modified Doom maps.

This rule, afaik, was instated to keep people from submitting nothing but slightly modified maps (i.e. just some texture changes and stuff). I suppose you could take it up with Ty, but it'll probably be rejected. You could always host in on your own web space though.

I asked Ty about this sort of thing a while ago, and it seems that he'll consider them on a case-by-case basis. Be sure to e-mail him first though; don't force him to discover the potential problem on his own.

My suspicion is that a wad that has a small part that is based around an original id map - and done so for a valid reason, and built upon in some legitimate way - has a pretty good chance of being accepted.

BTW, this map's start area is from E1M1, and that was accepted even in the stricter era Ty referred to.

A good way to get around this rule is to recreate the level from scratch, as I did with my E1M1 done MAP01 wad.

Well, concerning the valid reason: It's vital for the storyline of the Megawad and once the time has come, I will contact Ty (or whoever might me in charge then)

Grazza said:

BTW, this map's start area is from E1M1, and that was accepted even in the stricter era Ty referred to.

That's a very good map. I like the Doom 1 gameplay. It's pretty good even by today's standards. Minus some texture alignment anyway, but that's allowed becasue it's from '96.

It seems as if I'm doing everything backward, because I've already uploaded a level built on E1M1, and now I learn that if I email Ty, or whoever's the one these days, I might have a chance to have it posted after all.

I sent it after reading the FAQ where it says wads based on any of the original id wads are verboten, but I though I might be able to get some private commentary on it. If I stand a chance of having it reviewed and made public, of course I'd like to go for it, so who do I email these days?

I realize doing it backward like this may make it too late. BTW, the wad was actually begun years ago and expands on E1M1 considerably. Thanks in advance...

NiGHTMARE said:

A good way to get around this rule is to recreate the level from scratch, as I did with my E1M1 done MAP01 wad.

I made a map02 remake from scratch and it was rejected.

ob3kenob said:

who do I email these days?

Still me. Looks like it always will be :) I'm not sure why this thread wants to know who has replaced me. Anyway...

The problem with arbitration is that it's arbitrary.

I end up with a "feeling" about a level and reject or approve it based on that. A level that is part of a 32-level megawad that clones a room or two from an id level to disorient the player is one thing. A level that basically blows the back walls out of MAP01 or E1M1 and puts some more stuff outside (like most of the rejected Dwango-ish mods were, typically) is just lack of imagination.

Anyway, if you email me, (address is thldrmn@archives.3dgamers.com), be sure to start the subject line with DOOM-FTP so it won't get spam-nuked. If it's less than 100K zipped, attach it to the email. Otherwise upload the zip as usual. As long as you email me first, I'll know what to expect and will evaluate it, respond to you, and await your decision on whether to continue merging the file into the archives (if approved) or if it's just a test discussion I'll nuke it.

DoomDude: I don't remember that one in particular, but if all you did was duplicate a level from memory or reference in the same game, my "lack of imagination" comment above applies. I can see taking a level out of Quake, HL, etc. and trying to implement it in DOOM, but really there's not a lot of point to recreating id levels, and it treads on their toes and our policies.

Ty Halderman said:

I end up with a "feeling" about a level and reject or approve it based on that. A level that is part of a 32-level megawad that clones a room or two from an id level to disorient the player is one thing. A level that basically blows the back walls out of MAP01 or E1M1 and puts some more stuff outside (like most of the rejected Dwango-ish mods were, typically) is just lack of imagination.

What about eg: punisher.wad? It is map01 ripoff too, but it went through? or was it because dario were in teamtnt? :P

Torn said:

What about eg: punisher.wad? It is map01 ripoff too, but it went through? or was it because dario were in teamtnt? :P

It's a wad from August 1995. I wasn't handling the archives then. I started in February 1997. (Eek, that's almost 7 years!) I don't recall the map, but if it were submitted today and looked like a MAP01 blowout (see above) I'd probably not accept it.

Ty Halderman said:

I don't recall the map

Punisher is an early version of the map that later became Plutonia map32 "Go 2 It", and was already much reworked from map01. It's probably a unique case in that it started off as a pwad clone of an id map, but later became an id map in its own right.

No idea where the idea that Ty has been replaced came from. Maybe it's due to the confusion a lot of people have that the archive is part of Doomworld.

DoomDude: I don't remember that one in particular, but if all you did was duplicate a level from memory or reference in the same game, my "lack of imagination" comment above applies. I can see taking a level out of Quake, HL, etc. and trying to implement it in DOOM, but really there's not a lot of point to recreating id levels, and it treads on their toes and our policies.

I only mentioned it because what Nightmare said seemed to be a contradiction. Anyways I have no prob with my map being rejected. It was just something I did when I needed a break from my other maps and I know I'll ever do anouther. ;)

When I uploaded my E1M1 makeover to Doomworld, I knew it would most likely be rejected, but I wanted someone to see it and comment on it, perhaps privately. I should have known better. You're all to busy for that sort of thing. And naturally it was rejected, without comment. At the time I didn't even know I should clear the way with Ty first.

Now, of course, I know that plus a lot of other things. But, you ask, why would a handsome, intelligent, personable guy waste his time doing something like this? I don't know, but I can tell you why I did it. It wasn't lazyness. It was annoyance. If the game gods at id had called E1M1 "The Pistol" or somesuch, I'd have been happy, but they had to call it "The Hanger!" It's been like a pebble in a shoe.

Anyway, I set out to design it the way I thought it should have been so the title and layout fit together. But I didn't want to destoy the good parts, which were most of it, so I just spruced them up a little, changed what was necessary to make it into a hanger, and added an area that answered the question, "what's behind the door the Players start in front of?"

I think I did a pretty good job.

ob3kenob said:

UGLY BLOCK OF TEXT

1) You can't upload wads to DW. DW isn't a wad depository, it's a news and hosting site.

2) PARAGRAPHS

3) Read the FAQ