Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Darkpaul

best way to play doom now?

Hi, guys. I've been out of the doom scene for awhile now, and wanted to know what would be the best program to use to play doom 1 and 2. Legacy? somethin else?

Also, is it possible to play custom .wads on there? Like, the ghosbuster tc, doom64 tc, etc?

You could use Legacy if you want, but I personally would prefer ZDoom over that. If you're into eye candy and have a decent video card, go for ZDoomGL or JDoom. There are a good amount of source ports available. It just matters what satisfies you.

Complete list of source ports are here.

As for loading custom wads, every source port can do so. However, the Doom 64 TC requires JDoom.

The 'best way to play doom' kinda varies on what you like best. Let it be Legacy, Zdoom, ZdoomGl, Prboom, boom, Edge, Enternity, Vavoom, Jdoom, Skull Tag (For multiplayer I suppose), Doom(2).exe, Doom95, all whatever else there may be (Sorry if I missed any). I suppose you would have to try them out to see which you like best. They all have their ups and downs and such. :)

And yes, it is possible to play wads in all of source ports and such, some have launchers, some just require a little typing, but none are too hard. :D

Edit: Thank you Draconio for reminding me of Prboom. Silly me.

If you have a decent system, I recommend JDoom with models. At the very least, the Doom64 TC is very boss.

I first tried ZDoom over two years ago, and since then it's been the port I've used the most for those over two years, that should tell you something :D

ZDoom has been my port of choice since pretty much the first version. Not sure exactly how long ago that was released, but it seems like a lifetime ago :)

I mostly use PrBoom and Zdoom for SP, Prboom and eternity for demo playback and Zdaemon and PrBoom for multiplayer. It's all about personal preference really.

I tried legacy first, and that was ok. Once I tried ZDoom though, it was an instant favourite. I find that other source ports 'smooth' the look of the game too much, and doesn't fit the rest of the dated game. The 'roughness' of the graphics are part of what makes it doom.

KoRn said:

I find that other source ports 'smooth' the look of the game too much, and doesn't fit the rest of the dated game. The 'roughness' of the graphics are part of what makes it doom.

Yeah, I don't like that effect either.

KoRn said:

I tried legacy first, and that was ok. Once I tried ZDoom though, it was an instant favourite. I find that other source ports 'smooth' the look of the game too much, and doesn't fit the rest of the dated game. The 'roughness' of the graphics are part of what makes it doom.

BOOM, then.

yeah, the texture smoothing sucked. It would always slow my comp down. That's why I use ZDoom. It rules!!

GL or other sorts of similar rendering don't suck for DOOM; as a matter of fact it's fine for high resolutions. In my opinion anything over 640 x 400 should have some sort of effect to blur the graphics' pixels or they'll look too smooth. The graphics are sort of smudged on low res, giving the game a murky feeling that is lost in high resolutions under software mode.

Zdoom crashes my computer for unknown reasons (but according to ty it may be soundcard issues, which makes sense, its rubbish!), i tend to use legacy for running 'normal' wads (simply because of the launcher, back when i didnt know how to write my own .bat files it was a godsend), and EDGE for actually making wads in...

Lutarez said:

However, the Doom 64 TC requires JDoom.

the new version of that tc is a stand alone, so jdoom isn't required.

I'd recomend Prboom if you want to play Doom/Doom2/Final Doom, and Zdoom for custom pwads/net games. I also recomend Risen 3d if you want eye candy.

I wouldn't recomend Legacy to anyone or anything.

ones i have used
boom
prboom
zdoom
jdoom
edge
legacy

zdoom has a great many enhancement and i love to play useing it.
edgeGL runs great on older computers and or shitty graphics cards (i use it on a P II 450 with a sis video card)

in linux i use prboom, becuase i dont think there is a zdoom beyond 1.22 . however i havent checked in a long time.

edge is cool, but has a few issues i dont like. i have never had issue with legacy. prboom is great for just a basic port

i would highly advise aginst useing doom2.exe in windowsXP/2000. it just will not work, or work well. also dont use doom95, get a port, doom95 is far too buggy. i think it was a port by microsoft to show off directX. doom95 contains all doom.exe bugs plus many new ones. zdoom is a good bet here

hey anyone remember when zdoom DIDN't run on NT based systems? I do

Thanks for the help, guys. I've found Jdoom to be most pleasing. However, I do have a question: why have so many of you chosen zdoom so often? I mean, I tried it, the graphics weren't as nice as jdoom and I often had problems with it being scrambled trying to get higher resolutions.

I've GOT to be missing something.

Draconio said:

Is that something new? I never heard of it before.

http://risen3d.newdoom.com/

its basically Jdoom with enhanced 3d floors, like a non-crap version of Legacy.

apparently, as far as I know, the author is still too stubborn to announce news/updates and such to the doom sites. hell, everyone who is hosting this site doesn't even know that it exists.

Thanks for the help, guys. I've found Jdoom to be most pleasing. However, I do have a question: why have so many of you chosen zdoom so often? I mean, I tried it, the graphics weren't as nice as jdoom and I often had problems with it being scrambled trying to get higher resolutions.

I've GOT to be missing something.

Try running Jdoom on a computer from 1999 and you'll proabably understand hehe, also Zdoom has a lot of cool editing features (I'd say Zdoom, Eternity and EDGE are the 'editors ports') which people like

ah well..jdoom and zdoom crash a lot on this computer (though they used to work perfectly until..something happened), so i dont use them that much

There are definitely considerable speed issues with JDOOM. Even on fast PCs it has occasional lags, way more often than you'd expect from it. I believe it can be optimized, so maybe we will live to see its full potential.

I prefer Zdoom. I think hires software rendering looks just as good as opengl rendering when it comes to Doom.

I prefer medium-res software rendering (640x480 or so). Interpolation is nice, but it should be done with 2xSaI or a similar technique (as implemented in the latest PrBoom).

zDoom for most of my single-player games: it has the best combination of features and speed. I occasionally like using jDoom with models and hires-textures on the original IWADs, or occasionally something like HR, but it's not something I use regularly.

zDaemon for all my multiplayer games, of course.

I use Zdoom for everything. If a wad doesn't run with Zdoom, I don't play it. I don't feel like having 1 billion different source ports installed.