Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
sargebaldy

romero is back!

I missed it, but apparently he showed up on irc.freenode.net last night. deathz0r post his log of the visit here.

<Romero> i feel like making a new episode...... what's the easiest DOOM map editor available?

and then later

<Romero> see you guys! i'm in doombuilder........gotta go........ :)

all signs point to omg!

Somebody could just email Romero and ask him...

I'm not gonna do it though.

Fantastic...I was wondering when Romero was going to begin producing again. :)

Ichor said:

I can't wait to see the Newstuff review for this one.

Just keep deathz0r out of the way that day. Heh.

Remember, his old Doom editor is now 10 years out of date :)

And he made stuff for Ultimate Doom, so that's only 8 years really :P

sargebaldy said:

Remember, his old Doom editor is now 10 years out of date :)

And he made stuff for Ultimate Doom, so that's only 8 years really :P

Indeed, but who can capture E1 style like Romero? :) No matter how good your editor is, it can't do anything for your style.

Romero's still easily my favorite mapper and I'm definitely looking forward to anything he puts out, regardless if his detail meets modern standards.

Just because he hasn't mapped in 10 years, doesn't mean he can match the quality of today's levels. I mean, the only reason back in 94/95/96 that we didn't add tons of detail to maps was due to VPO's.. And Doombuilder is so easy to grasp, if Romero releases something, i bet it's gonna own.

That said, even if he didn't par up to today's standards, it'd own anyway, it's Romero buddy we're talking about! ;)

Melfice said:

Wow, this adds a little excitement into the Doom world while we're waiting for Doom3 :D

I just don't want to see this place become a ghost town when Doom3 does come out. Afterall, I can foresee editing for the older Dooms and Doom64 since I can't edit true 3d shooters that well -- I failed it pretty badly with Unreal and did only moderately well with Quake. WorldBuilder owns me.

Didnt he make a Legacy level around the time of that "E1 week" at Doomcenter?, or maybe he just said he would and didnt..i dont remember..

*Lame moron mode*

John romero, before you start asking for help on your new mega-cool-and-whatnot project, make sure you have something to show first (screenshots, map downloads, etc). Keep in mind we've already seen thousands of upcoming projects that actually never got done.

He didn't make a level, but he did:

1) Judge the Episode 1 lookalike contest
2) Record an Episode 1 demo pack with commentary

If he does release a new episode, I'm sure it will rock. Whether it will be in the same style as E1 or something completely different really doesn't matter.

I'm just looking forward to something new for Doom that feels official.

That will be nice. Almost like getting a sequel.

sargebaldy said:

Romero's still easily my favorite mapper and I'm definitely looking forward to anything he puts out, regardless if his detail meets modern standards.

You and me both. the fact that he wants to map for doom again is more cool than I can even imagine!

So it's really for real eh? Certainly an interesting development.

It seems like old-timers in the Doom community are starting to come out of the woodwork lately. Dr Sleep, Aikman, and now John Romero himself. I suppose the upcoming release of Doom 3 got them back to thinking of the days when the original Doom was the big new thing?

Wow, if he can pull out some stuff even half as good as what he gave us in the original wads, I'll be thrilled. Romero's easily the best mapper from the IWADS.

Oh joy! I really hope it's an E1 episode he's planning on doing, that would so make my day! It seems that no matter how many E1 wads I play through none can come close to Romero's E1 levels.

I agree, I haven't played a single one that feels just right. But I'd just as much like an episode with that same consistency E1 had but in an entirely different environment. In fact, I'd probably like that even more.

I'd rather it be like episode 2. More texture variety, more monster variety, better atmosphere, and episode 2 generally had better maps, especially E2M7.