Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Arioch

Hell Revealed, Again

Beginning from MAP07, I disliked HR2. It was like NUTS3 x 26.
It is not necessarily the monster count, but more the Monster per Square Inch ratio.
MAP32 on Skill 5... 10+ archviles and some more baddies (total of was way over
1500), oh well Skill 1: still 700+.
Best wishes for a speedrun demo, type Maxkills.

Hirogen2: both speed and max are already done for map32, you are overestimating the difficulty.

Schneelocke said:

Cool! Got a demo?

yes, look in the demo forum (HR2 thread)

Is this me, or Map19 somewhat remind me of AV Map11?

Anyway, I'm somewhere in the last 10, nice stuff so far (yet some maps are old, and it SHOWS :)

A little tip for map32: Grab what you need, PRAY (very important step) then RUN to the other side of the map! That what i did...

OK, the thread has been split. All future port-related bashing discussion should go here. Hell Revealed II comments still go in this thread.

EDIT: Someone re-open that thread please, I forgot to do it before I moved it.

Andy Olivera said:
BTW, those Megaspheres can be reached. They're lowered briefly by a line at the top of the stairs on the opposite tower.

Yeah, hahah, first time through map 32 I was running low on health, charging desperately for a megasphere, pushed the switch, and when the platform didn't lower, I was thinking "What the..?". Then I saw (and HEARD!) the 100 or so hell knights (and a few cyberdemons) I'd unleashed instead.. Great stuff. ;-D

Hirogen2 said:
MAP32 on Skill 5... 10+ archviles and some more baddies (total of was way over
1500), oh well Skill 1: still 700+.
Best wishes for a speedrun demo, type Maxkills.

Hey Jan, long time no see:

10+? More like 100+ archies! :-)
On skill 1/2 map 32 isn't that hard really.. the amount of ammo is absurd so you can stick completely to the BFG *all the time*. It's a bit tedious to take out all the monsters (and if you don't react quickly to the Arch-Viles that are let loose to resurrect killed monsters) but not hard. Playing on skill 2 I made it out the first time I played it (and I didn't use saves).

But I agree with you these types of levels (HR map 22, AV map 32, Plutonia map 32, etc) are an aquired taste and definitely not suited for all types of players.

Finished the damn thing now on UV with saves. I didn't go into the secret maps, maybe next time. Cool WAD overall, my fav maps being MAP15 (The Path 2) and MAP19 (Mind Trap). A little overboard with the homage maps IMO (there are six). Overall challenging, but not too difficult. There are less slaughterfest maps than you'd think. Unfortunately, jDoom crapped out on me in MAP30 - with the smaller blast radius it's impossible to damage Romero. Oh well.

Can I get a music tracklist from someone? Seems like MIDI'ized metal songs to me. (What's up with the sloppy text file anyway? This pack deserves better.)

The Ultimate DooMer said:

Aww, you missed the best map in the game there...

What, 32? Saw that in the beta and watched Vile storm through it. A pretty bad attempt at a slaughter map IMO.

Just finished it (On HMP of course, i'm not a doom god...). Nice work overall. Some maps were particulary "rememberable" though. There are mines:

-Map19. Probably the best of the megawad. (PS: it was the (small) cave part that somewhat put that AV map11 feeling in me :|)
-Map24. I loved the music in there...
-Map28. I FELL IN THE "Lack of energy cells" TRAP!!!!!!!!!!!!
-Map32. nuff said.
-And finally, Map06, when i noticed that Cyb's map has the first cyberdemon of the megawad ;)

Can I get a music tracklist from someone? Seems like MIDI'ized metal songs to me.

I never created a track list, but the metal ones are by Grave. I believe they're original(they don't sound familiar to me). Sam Woodman did the rest. I don't even have titles for some of them.

BTW, I liked the music so much I created MP3s of all of them, but I don't have anywhere to post them.

What's up with the sloppy text file anyway? This pack deserves better.

It's not sloppy, it's just simple. :-)

Nobody kept records of the stuff normally put into a text file(author's comments, editors used, etc.) and since most of the team went silent several years ago I don't even have all their E-Mails. I threw together what's there in an hour or two a couple days before the release. I didn't want to spend the time putting together a good one when I could be working on the levels or such, instead.

a better solution would be to send them to me, and I'll post them on Telefragged... or briefly doom2.net.

a better solution would be to send them to me

I could do that, I suppose. What's your address and the size limit on an individual E-Mail? I can just RAR them all into even chunks and send them one at a time. The max I can send in one message is(I think) 10MB, so it might take awhile.

BTW, the whole lot comes to 188MB.

ouch, 188 Mb.
I don't want to make anyone wait for that upload.
perhaps I should send you a self-addressed stamped envelope? ;)
(You can upload them to the sda ftp.... but please send me an email with your thoughts, I want to hear these, but not THAT bad to put you out)
opulent@cox.net

Just finished the regular levels :) Now for the two secret maps...

Time to see if I can even remotely handle map32. ;)

What happened to Chrozo? Is he still around?

I really don't remember what I did on MAP05 although I see it has a couple Afterglow-isms. Also, all the traps for retrieving the blue key are completely unnecessary... you don't need that key for anything!

I didn't finished it yet, right now I'm on map 17 and my opinion is that it's just too crowded with monsters, don't like it...
HR was ok, and this is just a bad copy. I didn't found any map really hard, heh on map07 i used archvile to jump over the walls on the begining, it's not so hard :) It's all made to make you think twice before you press any button or walk into empty room. That's not interesting at all, and ruins all the fun. Give us old doom back ! :)))
except that, good job :) hehe

Did anyone figure out what was going on with the music from HR2? Did it ever get uploaded anywhere? ^^

Heh, depending on what soundcards you and Andy have, the MIDIs might actually sound better on your computer than his MP3s :P

Altima said:

Did anyone figure out what was going on with the music from HR2? Did it ever get uploaded anywhere? ^^

Try here.

Thanks a lot to Andy for uploading all that.
btw, it will be deleted when I finally get around to doing a DSDA update, so get them now if interested.

DEMOn, what's the difference between 01.mp3 and 01b.mp3?