Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Arioch

More Doom 3 Screenshots

Blue's News has pointed out the latest round of new screenshots up in Computer Gaming World's Doom 3 Preview section. Of interest are more screenshots of the trites, a shot of models of various weapon, and a flaming zombie. There's 14 new screenshots in this batch, so head on over and take a look.

Thanks to Ant for the heads up.

BBG said:

Maybe this means that the Imps will crawl on walls and stuff in non-scripted situations.

I hope so, I think the imp's wall climbing is what would make them challenging opponents.

If those beams fell because of physics, and not scripting... Then that is a great screenshot..

Yup, in that particular sequence it's a scripted event. Perhaps they could climb on walls but damn that'd be difficult to pull off realistically.

urgh I've always thought that the zombies walking around with their arms out was dumb. It'd be way better if they were like the infected people in 28 Days Later. I hope they come with alternate skins too cuz so far it looks like there's only one skin per model. Every fatguy looks the same, all the skinny guys look mostly the same. The game is still gonna kick all kinds of ass but there's a few things that might bug me.

I wonder what that giant demon head thing in THIS screenshot is supposed to be.

And omg the screenshot actually isn't all techy either!

Heh, they even remembered to make the martian sky pink.

I only have two minor gripes left. One is that the Doomguy himself looks like a f***ing sissy, the other is the lack of a Cacodemon.

The imps looks positively badass in these new poses.

Minor note: That weird crawling baby thing's claws looks like they were modelled with a Warhammer 40K Genestealer figure as a reference.

Fredrik said:

How do you know?

Id probably told him :-P

I don't see how making a monster climb a wall is any harder than making a monster walk across a floor.

Holy Santo Domingo Señor Ding-Dong! Those are tubular screenshots. :D That one with the hell knight and giant skull with horns in the back really pickles my onion. :D
Each screenshot makes me more hyped to play. :D
Also, those weapons look rad and so high-tech. :D

DOOM Anomaly said:

Holy Santo Domingo Señor Ding-Dong! Those are tubular screenshots. :D That one with the hell knight and giant skull with horns in the back really pickles my onion. :D

The screenshot is cool, but it subsequently dashes my hope that the place with the skull is a huge big area.
I'm sure we'll get plenty of "OMG DOOM 3 HAS NO HUGE OPEN EXPANSES!!! TEH SUX0R!!!" comments in the D3 forum before long :-/

But there's no time to see the sights, as a couple of revenants start launching plasma balls and a demon floats overhead.

I hope not...

How do you know (it's a scripted event)?

It's part of a cut scene visible in the E3 movie, id said there would be a lot of stuff like this in the game. They said with scenes like that there's a lot you can do that you just can't pull off in real time. Atleast not without an ass load more work that it takes to script the scene. :)

I don't see how making a monster climb a wall is any harder than making a monster walk across a floor.

Many walls are covered in very detailed 3D structures and getting creatures to realistically move over them is very difficult. Even just getting the body to conform to such an uneven shape on four limbs ( and even more fingers / toes / claws ) would be a huge task. Then to get it to look realistic there still needs to be the appearance of weight as if the creature is opposing gravity, not just stuck to the wall by having gravity effect on it at a 90 degree difference to the rest of the environment. Then there's the complexity of getting it to realistically transition from one structure to another all with extreme realism. I'm not deffinitively saying that they didn't figure out a way to do it, but when I was there they said that it's soooo much easier to script such things that it'd be a waste of energy to do it in real time.

It wouldn't be a big deal to get them to run around on flat walls but few of the walls in D3 are flat and perfectly vertical. For complex things like getting the imp to scale down a pipe in a spiral pattern it's a hell of a lot easier to script it as the average user only needs to see it once in order to believe it could happen at any time. Just like with the demon bursting through the pipe wall. Obviously another scripted event but to Joe PC he'll be looking at every pipe wall after that a little more suspiciously. The perception of reality is more cost and time effective to produce than the real kind. :)

>>so far it looks like there's only one skin per model<<
Kenneth Scott adressed this in particular during the computergaming.com/article2/0,4364,1426286,00.asp]interview, so I don't think we have too much to worry about, though I echo your worry Rellik. Oh, and thanks for taking the trouble of detailing the wallclimbing issue, I was getting all lemon-faced thinking of how to break it down for Fredrik. ;-)

>>Where are teh Hissies?<<
They better be dripping with dark red blood when and if they turn up! I fear for the Mancubi too, as their bulk made them wide-open space types, which there is a distinct lack of so far - I bet the unified lighting can't quite handle the football-field sized areas of, say E1M2. At least not with the hardware it debutes on.

They're bound to hold a lot of stuff back though, there's still no sign of Cybie, gatling gunners or Archvile...

EDIT: de-n00bed my link

Cranium said:

there's still no sign of Cybie, gatling gunners or Archvile...

We've seen the chaingunners and the archvile already, PC Gamer had a shot of the archie iirc and the chaingunners were in 2002 's E3 presentation.

NiGHTMARE said:

With a Lost Soul, Revenant and Plasma Gun, is this the most classic-doom like shot yet?

That's a machinegun doofus, so the answer is no :-P

the other is the lack of a Cacodemon.

Shut up about the damn cacodemon already - is it so fucking hard to understand that Id doesn't want to spoil all the monsters before release? Sorry for the harsh outbreak, but I'm absolutely fed up with all those cries for that stupid demon, when it's obvious that Id just doesn't want to spoil the game too much.

They better be dripping with dark red blood when and if they turn up! I fear for the Mancubi too, as their bulk made them wide-open space types, which there is a distinct lack of so far - I bet the unified lighting can't quite handle the football-field sized areas of, say E1M2. At least not with the hardware it debutes on.

They're bound to hold a lot of stuff back though, there's still no sign of Cybie, gatling gunners or Archvile...

The Mancubus is confirmed, screenshots have shown wide-open spaces too. The Cybie is confirmed as well, the Chaingunners were shown in the E3 2002 demonstration which was later leaked (ask for the leak and you're dead!) and the Archvile has been shown in screenshots twice.

Seriously, when do people learn to check out the screenshots section before they start crying for mommy about supposedly missing monsties?
If you check out the article in the PC Gamer issue in the screenshots section (you can access the other scans from one of the two Archvile links I provided), you'll see the Cybie and mancubus confirmed therein.

Szymanski said:

LOL stupid noobs

j/k

Rofl.
Seriously though, I didn't intend to "slap down" any of those two (ok, so maybe I slapped Little Faith, but that's ok, since he's from my own country ;-P) - I meant to help Cranium (also by pointing out that he ought to check the screenshots section - that's for his own good) and even NIGHTMARE by pointing out that the weapon was in fact a machinegun.

Hey, I'm just trying to cover my back in case somebody is offended by my seemingly rude comments.

Woah, thanks for the links and the schooling, I'd missed that baby somehow. Hope he glows like a pupil-shrinking inferno when he powers up! And don't anybody worry about the state of MY asscheeks. I've dragged them through hell and back - they couldn't be more callous if I was wearing turtle shells for a thong. ;)

Little Faith said:

Heh, they even remembered to make the martian sky pink.

I only have two minor gripes left. One is that the Doomguy himself looks like a f***ing sissy, the other is the lack of a Cacodemon.

The imps looks positively badass in these new poses.

Minor note: That weird crawling baby thing's claws looks like they were modelled with a Warhammer 40K Genestealer figure as a reference.

40K also had space marines didn't it? :-)

EDIT: You have a hell of a lot of PHP errors on the screenies page.

Heh, the D3 machinegun does appear to be "inspired by" the FN P90, but it's not supposed to be one.

I still say the magazine is in a completely retarded place on the D3 machinegun.