Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Draconio

The Brit* series of deathmatch maps.

There's a deathmatch wad that's run on ZDaemon called Brit11.wad, that's one of my favourites. I've also found a Brit10.wad which isn't on the main archive, but is obviously part of the same series. The text file to Brit10.wad as well as its filename seem to indicate that there were others in the series before it. My question is, are there in fact others, and if so, where can they be found?

As a side question, why is Brit10.wad not on the main archive?

Those were made by the British Doom League(really Lancashire and McKendrick)
10 and 11 are compilations of mostly their levels.
You can still get these and others at Yeti's site.
They're not on the archive because they are still theirs.(they didn't give up the rights to them)
btw, these are some of the very best dm wads ever, IMHO.

Opulent said:
They're not on the archive because they are still theirs.(they didn't give up the rights to them)

Hmm.. interesting you should say that. I looked at the .txt for brit11.wad and found this passage:

"You MAY distribute this WAD, provided you include this file, with no
modifications. You may distribute this file in any electronic format (BBS,
Diskette, CD, etc), and if you want to include this WAD in a CD compilation
then ask us first !! You are NOT allowed to extract separate levels from
Brit11.WAD.
"

What in there says "Don't upload to 3dgamers"?

well, it doesn't, but that one is on the archives. :)
from brit10:
--------------------
* Copyright / Permissions *
Authors MAY NOT use this Wad-Pack as a base to build additional levels/packs, concatenations, or otherwise.
You MAY distribute this PWAD, provided you include this file, with no modifications. You may distribute this file in any electronic format (BBS, Diskette, CD, etc) as long as you include this file intact.
--------------------
so I don't see why not. however, DISTRIBUTING them and giving over legal rights are 2 different things. I doubt anyone from the BDL would mind, but you might want to ask them first, since they are theirs.
and these aren't just some old dm wads, these are some of the best ever.

If you want, just upload the wad(s), but do add a line on top of the accompanying TXT (the extra copy that isn't in the ZIP) saying that you uploaded it, including a working e-mail addy.

Who? Me? Nah.. I'm to well-mannered to do that. ;-)

If the original authors had wanted their work placed in the archive, they've had a lot of opportunities/time to do so.

The "you MAY distribute" means they are saying "go ahead and host it or upload it where ever you feel it's convenient." When authors have any problems about ditribution they just say "you may NOT dostribute" and include the places where you can get it. Of course, unless you host the file on your own server, adding a note saying who uploaded it (with an identifying e-mail) is always good so that both the authors and the archive admin can have an idea how it got there, and make any inquiries or send thanks, if necessary.

Yes, of course you are right. However, one cannot help but start to wonder why they never uploaded most of their WADs to the archives themselves. Thare has to be some reason. Oh, well. *shrugs*

I have talked with "Yeti" fairly recently and he has authorized me to put together a compilation of his maps for your enjoyment. Stand by in the future in "Newstuff."

Cadman - Member TeamTNT