Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Zoost

Holy crap lots of new screenshots

Although I like all these new screenshots I like the admosphere of the Macworld 2001 (3 years ago!) shots like these even better. I think the 2001 look more "real" than these current ones. The lighning and material looks better than the crisp and clean todays images. Does anyone agree with me, and why do they look better?

The plasma rifle looks weird and way too short and bulky imo, but I'll wait and see until I see the brute ingame.

Oh and I noticed much to my delight that it still has some slight "accordion'esque" features - Tetzlaff and I talked about this in another thread where we expressed our dislike for it (namely because it didn't have that accordion look to it). It doesn't have the good ol' brown "accordion coating", but it does have a small area on top where there's some sort of black "grating".

I might even start to like the new plasma rifle at some point, but not for the time being. At least it looks a thousand times better than the Q3A plasma gun imo.

I'm not fully happy with the new shotgun either. Though I've got used to the pistol handle, I don't like how the lower barrel is longer than the top barrel - it kinda kills the streamlined look of what I always associated the ol' Doom shotgun with.
I am, however, pleased that they made it darker in colour. It also has a number of nice-looking details.

Oh and I can see that lava is back in Doom 3.

A final note: So this is the fabled fire zombie people have been babbling about recently. I don't think the fire effects on it look as awesome as people said - certainly doesn't look better than the "lost souls'" fire, but hey, I didn't think the lost soul fire looked particularly bad so it's not like I care overly about it.

The zombie itself looks awesome.

Zoost said:

Although I like all these new screenshots I like the admosphere of the Macworld 2001 (3 years ago!) shots like these even better. I think the 2001 look more "real" than these current ones. The lighning and material looks better than the crisp and clean todays images. Does anyone agree with me, and why do they look better?

Mixed feelings here - one part of me agrees with thou, another not.

When I first saw "clean" Doom 3 screenshots (showed off two fatty zombs), I thought the Macworld ones looked far more real. Annoyingly blurry perhaps, but more believable.

But since then, the graphics in Doom 3 seem to have gradually improved. Some screenshots look about on par (as far as believability goes) with the Macworld ones, while being much sexier to look at.

It's a tie really.

dsm said:

At least it looks a thousand times better than the Q3A plasma gun

That doesn't say a lot! :P

Shaviro said:

That doesn't say a lot! :P

Elaboration: The Doom 3 plasma gun has a neat modernish-futuristic look to its surfaces, whereas the Q3A plasma rifle is colourful and mostly looks like a crappy mishmash of odd devices to my eyes.

The Doom 3 plasma rifle looks more like a plausible weapon than the Q3A one (as far as design goes) and with no flashy, pretty lightshow gimmicks on it either, hence I like the D3 one a lot better.

Unfortunately, I had hoped for a plasma rifle that looked more in the vein of the old Doom plasma rifle.

The new preview article on the "computergaming" site is a little more of a teaser aswell as those nice screenies.

The best part was this:
"A huge monstrosity fills the screen for a split second. "Oops, I don't think I was supposed to show you that!" The unnamed Jurassic demon is so big it can't be seen in its entirety in one screen. While Scott can't go into detail on what it is, he assures me that this isn't the final boss. Now that's a scary thought."

Something tells me that Doom 2's final boss may be walking around out there!!! Hardly contain myself :)

I'm finding that some of the newer screenshots are looking rougher than the old ones - in a few of the computergaming.com pics, jagged polygons are painfully visible. The explosions look like crazy yellow blobs, and one of the hell pics has an awful ultra-blurry texture in the background. But apart from those pics, it's looking great. I'm more excited about the gameplay these days though, and I liked what I heard in the preview.

dsm said:

Oh and I noticed much to my delight that it still has some slight "accordion'esque" features ... It doesn't have the good ol' brown "accordion coating", but it does have a small area on top where there's some sort of black "grating".

Now that you mention it... I almost overlooked that. But it hardly helps resembling the original Plasma Rifle, the whole shape is too different, and the all in metal design is too drab.

dsm said:

Elaboration: The Doom 3 plasma gun has a neat modernish-futuristic look to its surfaces, whereas the Q3A plasma rifle is colourful and mostly looks like a crappy mishmash of odd devices to my eyes.

To me the Doom3 plasmagun looks like a pointless mishmash of odd techy parts and bits. The Q3 plasma rifle´s different parts made sense and it was a well-rounded innovative composition (but of course it wouldn´t fit Doom style, so this should not be the point here).

I really can´t find anything I like about this new plasmagun design. It´s such an ugly, mis-shaped bulky thing. As if somebody scanned an amoeba and applied various Photoshop "tech" looking filters on it.

screens look good :-), The shotgun looks so much better side on then it does looking down the barrel.
All in all im not pleased with the weapons though
alot of the design elements to them look useless and rather bulky looking.
I liked the old doom weapons because they looked rugged and suited the feel of the game but these designs just dont seem to cut it for me.

The guns look like there out of halo to me, the only thing I liked about some of the weapons in halo for example the assault rifle is it had a really high rate of fire, nice beefy fireing sound and made kickass noises and lots of nice big holes when it hit metal surfaces.

Who cares if they look odd and or bulky, aslong as they do the job, thats all im worried about. I think the designs are pretty damn good,Plasma Rifle -looked like the BFG to me :( looks nice and meaty, love the look of that chainsaw and i agree with Tyockell when he said that Shotgun looks top notch.

The shotgun looks fantastic. Practical, and realistic looking, yet futuristic. The plasma rifle is a bloated piece of crap though (IMO).

Lectrix said:

BFG looks nice and bulky as it should,

WTF? Tell me, where do you see a BFG? Only plasma energy gun I've seen so far, is the plasma rifle.

Neither can I.

...goes outside, starts up a chainsaw, and cuts... Oh wait, you mean the chainsaw in Doom 3. Silly me...

Arioch said:

How do you figure that's the plasma rifle?

The particular texture for that gun was in the plasma gun's folder in the Doom 3 alpha.

I don't have it here though, so I can't check whether I might just have a bad memory.

Hmmm. This all looks very nice - I like the concept art especially. You're right though, the weapons (especially the plasma rifle) look a bit boring and could use some color.

Arioch said:

That particular screen previously showed up in a magazine with a column of text underneath it. It said that the big bulky thing was the plasma rifle. I like it. I love all weapons so far, although they're very bulky. Some of the weapons could use a smaller size.

Arioch said:

That was in the magazine where this shot was first shown in - I clearly noticed that it said "Chainsaw, pistol, shotgun, machinegun and plasma rifle".

But yeah, those weapons need some colour, although I'm thinking...
the machinegun is green in colour ingame - here it's just grey. Could it simply be because not all of these models are actually coloured?
I sure hope so, because so far it looks like just about all the weapons are grey.

Edit: I love the machinegun - best machinegun id has made so far. The size and shape of the weapon is simply neat as is the design. I do really hope that my eyes didn't trick me when I looked at screenshots and found that the machinegun appeared to be green. The chainsaw is neat as well, although it's the weapon that looks the most like the old version of these.

Oh right, silly me... Man i thought it was the BFG... i see your point now, its huge for the plasma rifle!!!

I thought it was a picture of all the old doom weapons remade for doom 3, pardon my mistake... (Lectrix goes to hide in a dark doom 3 corridor, never find me.)

No way, the plasma gun looks awesome! The only gun that sucks imo is the machine gun, and even that isn't too bad. The chaingun used by the zombie with said weapon looks much nicer. I love the wood stock on the pistol, damn! The plasma rifle is very solid-looking, and the bump-mapping looks awesome! The first time I saw this=much drool.

I don't really like the machine gun, mostly because I think that kind of design is overdone these days (the FN-P90 style with the clip on top). I want a European-style assault rifle, like the Steyr Aug or the MA5B from Halo.

Sad to see that DSM hijacked this thread with going on (and on and on) about the weapons in D3. Who cares about the weapons when there is much more interesting stuff to discuss (yes IMO) then the color and/or bulkiness of the weapons. You ask me what? I will tell you.

For examle lets look at my last post in this thread

That is something I would like to discuss. Why is it that in those shots it appears there is more depth, better lighting and more believable textures then in the current screenshots. Could it be (god damn, Im answering my own post now!) that JC created a tech demo that he had to scale down to DirectX 7 functionality? or is it only optical illusion that those only screens look better.

Here one more picture to show I'm right