Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
the freak

Legacy

legacy stil have major bugs in gl mode,in the game specials witch custom maps you can look thuru walls out the map
this is not good.

Uhm, okay. Anyways yes the MD2 stuff is still a work in progress. You'll be better off waiting for the C++ version which will support MD2's, MD3's, and loads of other model goodness.

Man, Legacy sucks, but there's this one crazy bastard that likes to use it for recording movies and stuff like that in. I don't know why. Crazy bastard, though. His name eludes me at the moment.

Oh, and :P :P :P :P

wolf said:

edge

Edge? Hahahah I dunno which of these source ports that is worst. Legacy or edge.

edge has trasparents cloud by the chainsaw.is the best.legacy is not bat i cant like look thru walls in the gl mode.do you play icd-se for edge?

legacy stil have major bugs in gl mode,in the game specials witch custom maps you can look thuru walls out the map
this is not good.

Er...build the map with zennode. The reason doomsday doesnt have the same problem is that it builds the map with glbsp before you run it (if it hasnt got the Gl nodes already). Legacy doesnt use gl nodes, and there is no way (..correct me if im wrong) to see if the map has been build with zennode yet, so htats why you see errors. Read around and shit before you decide on what ports to play and not to play.

iori said:

Er...build the map with zennode.

Sorry, but that's pathetic. Zennode is known to be a bit unreliable so it is not advisable to use generally for all maps. On average I'm having problems with 2-5% of all maps (crashes, incorrect nodes etc.)

If Legacy can't handle non-Zennode nodes it's time to dump the current renderer and rewrite it! If Legacy does not render certain walls due to this it's an error in Legacy. Each other Doom executable can handle these maps (GL or not) do don't blame the nodes.

Sorry, but that's pathetic.
Heh, uhm okay. We are talking about nodes right? Not nuclear proliferation amoung middle eastern countries or something? Frankie say relax. :)

Zennode is known to be a bit unreliable so it is not advisable to use generally for all maps.
Lots and lots of people never have any problems with it, myself included.

On average I'm having problems with 2-5% of all maps (crashes, incorrect nodes etc.)
Maybe God hates you? Don't take it personally. The only time zen fails on me is when there is a severe structural error and I've used it on hundreds of wads over the last few years.

If Legacy can't handle non-Zennode nodes it's time to dump the current renderer and rewrite it!
That's a bit extreme isn't it? Besides the fact that the renderer is being rewritten, it's not a simple job especially when considering that it's for a completely free gaming engine.

If Legacy does not render certain walls due to this it's an error in Legacy.
Actually no it's an error in the nodes. If the nodes were right there wouldn't be any holes. :)

Each other Doom executable can handle these maps (GL or not) so don't blame the nodes.
Uhm, but don't all the other hardware accelerated engines require GL nodes of some kind to be built? So atleast when the nodes are built right Legacy can run a map straight where as other engines require a completely new set of nodes to be built. There is good and bad to everything, advantage and disadvantage. Don't blame the engine, blame the world for being a cruel and imperfect place. :)

yeah its being rewritten...i dont know EXACTLY whats being rewritten in it, but its for the better i can assure you :)

Im liking the prosepects of the c++ version myself, along with hexen support and all the new editing possiblities...

Yeah, a GL rendering engine that DOESN'T literally make people's video card hardware stop working would be a great improvement for Legacy.

No no, Legacy has a long history and great potential for the future. It just needs some more debugging IMHO ^_^

Quasar said:

No no, Legacy has a long history and great potential for the future. It just needs some more debugging IMHO ^_^

Have you ever looked into the CVS at Sourceforge? Even more code (mostly from Hexen) has been added to it so we can be almost certain that it will need even more debugging... :-D

Mr. T said:

Legacy rocks. The first source port I got into...

Hehehe, legacy was the first port I used since Doom 95, it was like heaven. I like all the source ports I use for their own reasons. :D

Yeah, I liked the extra stuff the guy put on the webpage like "Delirium" as well, that was funny shit

I remember playing splitscreen Legacy non-stop a couple of years ago, before I had my network. Such a decent feature, I've always liked splitscreen for gaming with friends.

Legacy isn't as bad as most people think it is. In fact, it's damn good.

It really extended my enjoyment of DOOM, and that's really the only important thing with any source port, right?

I recall Doom Legacy as the second ever source port I used. It was ok, and I admit it was pretty cool when I got used to the mouse look, jumping, OpenGL graphics, and transparencies (as well as other stuff), but there was something about it I didn't like. It was all bad, it's just something I can't put my finger directly on. It does bring back some good memories, like ZDoom, and for that I keep a copy around, not sure of the version, never bothered to notice :P
Before Doom Legacy, though, I got a hold of ZDoom 1.22 as THE first source port I ever used, and I've loved it ever since. It brings back good memories. :) Maybe that's why I prefer it over all the other Doom ports.

Legacy was great back when its main features were jumping, mouselook, the console, TCP/IP, etc. There are a lot of bugs in the source now, and hopefully the C++ version will fix a lot of them. The GL render seems kind of dirty, so it's no wonder it doesn't work well on all machines.

DarkWolf said:

There are a lot of bugs in the source now, and hopefully the C++ version will fix a lot of them.

Expect the opposite. As large portions of the code has been rewritten it's more likely that the first versions of it will have even more bugs. It's impossible to do such a massive restructuring without introducing some errors. That's a simple programming fact.