Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Voiceroy

Playstation Controls Question

I've beaten all the Doom games on PC, but I'm playing them again on Playstation. Right now, I'm working my way through Doom II and don't understand why the Playstation controls offer no way to navigate the map and have your player stay in the same spot.

I know the PC version had a way to navigate the map (even included a zoom in/out feature) without moving your player, so why doesn't the Playstation controls have one? Or is there one and I just can't figure it out or find it online?

Any help would be appreciated.

press and hold x in map mode (it's always x, no matter if you change your controls), and that should allow you move the map as if follow mode is off (i never tested this one). to zoom in or out, press and hold x, and press l1 or r1. i know that one works.

Thanks for the swift reply. You rule.

Only lingering prob is that the config I'm using has "x" as the fire key. When I go to the map and press "x", it wastes ammo while I'm navigating. But I switched to the chainsaw so at least I'm not wasting my ammo.

Thanks again.

no prob. i have the same problem too. whoever thought that triangle should be shoot should be shot. i usually change to the fists so that i don't hear any weapon sound.

by the way, if you like the ambient music from psx doom, check out my site in my sig. i have all of them in perfect quality mp3, plus i also have them in wad form for zdoom.

>> Final Doom: Plutonia Experiment

I'm outta touch - was that part of an expansion pack or something? Nope, haven't beaten that one. Beat Final Doom though.

I'm not really liking the PSX controls, especially trying to strafe. (Too many fingers involved and it takes an extra second to react, which can be very costly.) Too bad I can't plug a keyboard into the PSX. But the gameplay is a lot faster than it was on the old computer I beat all the other games on. And mindless video game carnage is a fun way to get my mind off... the @#$% network news.

Thanks again.

Plutonia Expiriment is 1/2 of Final Doom. The other 1/2 is TNT Evilution. If you're saying you beat Final Doom for the PSX, Plutonia is the last few levels. The levels are no way as tough as the pc.

here's mine:

strafe left/right = l1, r1
weapons up/down = l2, r2
run = square
shoot = x
open = circle

I lost my psx doom cd. *almost breaks down* Anyway I thought the controls were pretty good but for final doom psx I used the playstation mouse with it. Another thing I also noticed about psx doom is that some of the levels are simplified and some of them are missing alltogether. Boo! I take it its not memory just psx limitation?

The reason for the hacked levels isn't because of the psx. It's because the Doom 1 levels up to episode 3 are taken from the previous console Dooms (Jaguar, 32x, 3DO) and not from the PC. Probably easier to convert. The limitations of those systems are why those levels are hacked up. The remainder of the levels (episode 4, doom 2, exclusives) are there without any trims. Not to mention some of the exclusives are quite huge (the mansion, twilight descends, threshold of pain). So the answer is, the reason for the levels is programming laziness, not the console.

Ah ha! That was the other level I loved Theshold of Pain. That was the one with the animated fire sky and shit. Huh meesa lost psx doom cd. That bad. I miss it. As for what you said yeah I thought the psx was powerfull enough to use the regular levels instead of the hacked ones but some of them from doom2 are even missing.

Here's my PSX pad configuration when I use it in ZDoom ;)

X - Fire
O - Open
Sq- Run (although always-run is on and I use the analog stick)
Tr- Jump (heheh...)

If there was crouch... Square would be open, Tri would be jump and circle would be crouch. That just seems more logical to me.

L1- Strafe Left
R1- Strafe Right
L2- Weapon cycle left
R2- Weapon cycle right

Arrow up - use ALL items
Arrow left - cycle inventory left
Arrow right - cycle inventory right
Arrow down - use selected item

(Why these are in ZDoom I dunno but I'm prepared. Works FUCKING GREAT in Heretic though. =)

Select - Map
Start - Pause (handy when putting out cigarettes)

I'm tellin' ya, you ALL need to get one of those PSX -> PC pad converters. They are absolutely AMAZING and DEFINITELY WORTH IT if you just use them for emulators.

The analog sensitivity for turning and moving is just REALLY KICKASS. =)

I *could* set functions for clicking down the movement stick but as it is I think I'm well set. Any suggestions?