Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
m0l0t0v

Dutch soldier kills Iraqi civilian

This is a big deal here in Holland.
in short: A week ago a dutch soldier stationed in Iraq killed an Iraqi. There is some debat going on whether or not it is wise to charge this man with murder.

Some say it is his job to kill on occasion and you can't charge a guy for doing his job. Others say all killing should be investigated and all suspects should be charged, crisis situation or not. Meanwhile our prime minister Balkenende is worried: Other countries may now think we are soft and unwilling to kill. By charging the marine, we sent out the message that Dutch soldiers are not allowed to kill.

So what are your thoughts on this? Should we treat soldiers, who might have commited crimes the same as any other (civilian) suspect, or should we give them some slack...

Typical Dutch. First, send your troops to a warzone and then ask questions in parliament whether or not this is actually dangerous for the people involved.

Heh.

Degrade / discharge him from the military ? Maybe, if a military court rules his mistakes were grave enough. Prosecute him as a murderer in a civilian court ? Hell no.

Mordeth said:

Typical Dutch. First, send your troops to a warzone and then ask questions in parliament whether or not this is actually dangerous for the people involved.

Agreed, I hate my government for stuff like this. What a bunch of wankers. Iraq =! Disneyland.

Why do keep allowing ourselves to get involved in these situations? I mean, nobody takes the Dutch army seriously, and they shouldn't! We spend millions of euros on our army so our troops may get the important assignment of mapping a desert; a DESERT! "hmm, well this here looks like sand... ja, sand... and overthere look; more sand!"

It's a terrible waste of time, money and people. There is no place for the Dutch army (and all others) in occupying Iraq. They are unskilled and unwelcome.

My first impulse is to feel sorry for the Dutch soldier - then again, I don't know all the facts so I really don't know how this happened and why.

a friend did the same in afganastan. however the guy was armed, but he had dropped his rifle. he shot him because another guy was coming for the other direction. fearing the man would pick up the weapon he just shot him in the head and turned and shot the other one. he got in trouble but was fined for it, he is still in the army. not sure where he is now

the_Danarchist said:

Were'nt you guys the country that had the hippy army?

Well, back in the 70's most of the men in the Dutch army had beards and long hair, if that's what you mean. I think people with beards and long hair actually look angrier, more dangerous. It gives a raw 'ready to kill' look.

Disorder said:

Well, back in the 70's most of the men in the Dutch army had beards and long hair, if that's what you mean. I think people with beards and long hair actually look angrier, more dangerous. It gives a raw 'ready to kill' look.

Yeah I think. I saw it on the History Channel. There was this army where they didn't have to shave or cut their hair and it was really laid back. Nice drill sergents and such. Then they disbanded it in the 80s or so, I think.

On the one hand, it always irks me when civilians are killed. However, just how many Iraqi civilians did US bombs kill?

Hyena said:

On the one hand, it always irks me when civilians are killed. However, just how many Iraqi civilians did US bombs kill?

They don't count. We're allowed to do that. (please note dripping sarcasm)

This is, without a doubt, the stupidiest thing I've ever heard of in my entire life.

however the guy was armed, but he had dropped his rifle. he shot him because another guy was coming for the other direction. fearing the man would pick up the weapon he just shot him in the head and turned and shot the other one.

Completely justified.

Well, then you should visit our little country sometimes. This kind of weird shit happens ALL the time here. Ample funny examples :)