Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sephiroth

back to the classics

well i feel like playing all the old games i have laying around, and maybe even buying a few.

games list
doom - play it usally every night
quake - once and a while
quake II - got back into it when i found a 3 year old copy, that been about how long sence i last played
duke3d - try a linux port and see how it is going
ROTT - check out a few ports here too
missle command - yep getting out the old atari 5200 for this babby
adventure - simple and addictive, 2600 to 5200 adapter is a blessing
frogger - need i say more, classic, first game i ever played
Mario Borthers 3 - if i get the nintendo to work then yes

has anyone else been going on a classic gameing spree like me. not sure what it is, but as of late i have been playing all the classics. ignoreing the new games i just bought and my new computer and X-box. dont have much room for my 486 and MAC 68k, but i am getting out the atari 5200

Well, I played Stunts/4D Driving or whatever quite a lot a few weeks ago. Oh yeah, and an awesome CGA style sopwith remake.

I play Quake every once in a while.

Have you guys seen the 'Quake Done Quick' movie where they play through Quake in 12 minutes and 23 seconds? It's just awesome!

Quake II, Duke3D, ROTT, Wolfenstein 3D, Doom and C&C are also games I play every now and then.

Just search for "quake done quick" on Google.

It can be downloaded as an .AVI movie or as a Quake "mod" that you install and run in quake just like a standard mod. I recommend the Quake mod version as it's a LOT smaller.

I've been playing a lot of Descent 2 recently, albiet without sound. If ANYONE knows how to get sound on it without one of the default sound cards, I'd be really grateful.

the_Danarchist said:

I've been playing a lot of Descent 2 recently, albiet without sound. If ANYONE knows how to get sound on it without one of the default sound cards, I'd be really grateful.

http://www.icculus.org/d2x/

There may be other ports, I haven't looked in a while. The source port for Descent 1 was better though.

<3

/me gives ToXiCFLUFF a big hug ^_^

Doesnt seem to like my joystick, but oh well. I don't really like it either.

Phantasia. That old text game during the early BBS years that you never actually involved typing. It's an adventure game where nothing happens, and you don't see what happens. You just have stats and a sentence at the top that tells you what happened. You fight a lot of monsters this way and find stuff. Boring for most, but it's an excellent time waster. Think Progress Quest where you're still in control.

I play Doom and Doom2 almost every day, and Heretic and Hexen every other day.

ravage said:

Phantasia. That old text game during the early BBS years that you never actually involved typing. It's an adventure game where nothing happens, and you don't see what happens. You just have stats and a sentence at the top that tells you what happened. You fight a lot of monsters this way and find stuff. Boring for most, but it's an excellent time waster. Think Progress Quest where you're still in control.

In control how? Maybe you could explain it a little clearer?

Ah yes. I've only played the Diablo I Demo. I have to get hold of the full ver somewhere.

diablo 2 sucked worse than the life of a toilet plunger, it was the battle sequence that sucked. and the cracked, crude, damaged, etc. status of weapons, it was just a waste of time, also as mentioned before the battle sequence, diablo had good battle sequences, i could actually see the blocks, but diablo 2? all you heard was a ping and that was supposesd to be your block. also they should have made the rare/unique items, more rare it's like "oh hell another gravespine bone wand........." but the game had a few good points too, like level layout and weapon variety.

Sephiroth said:

has anyone else been going on a classic gameing spree like me. not sure what it is, but as of late i have been playing all the classics. ignoreing the new games i just bought and my new computer and X-box. dont have much room for my 486 and MAC 68k, but i am getting out the atari 5200

Oh that happens once in a while.

I have Wolf3d, Quake 1, Quake 2, HeXen and all of Doom Collector's Edition installed permanently and I play each of them once in awhile -like, I play through Doom and Doom 2's original maps once a year, other times I play something else like Quake or HeXen and it often happens that I play one or two maps of Wolf3d (usually right after I've played a bit of RtCW sp).

There was a period where I downloaded the original Apple II, top-dwon Wolfenstein game and played it for, like, a month or so. I still keep the downloaded file somewhere in case I feel like going back to the days where graphics looked like coloured letters.

I also wanted to go back to play Duke Nukem 1, but I gave up because the PC Speaker on my current computer is too fucking loud (yes, I could shut off the sound, but it wouldn't be half as enjoyable or 'nostalgic' that way) and there were some technical issues that made me say "screw it!".

diablo 2 sucked worse than the life of a toilet plunger, it was the battle sequence that sucked. and the cracked, crude, damaged, etc. status of weapons, it was just a waste of time, also as mentioned before the battle sequence, diablo had good battle sequences, i could actually see the blocks, but diablo 2? all you heard was a ping and that was supposesd to be your block. also they should have made the rare/unique items, more rare it's like "oh hell another gravespine bone wand........." but the game had a few good points too, like level layout and weapon variety.

I wouldn't say Diablo 2 sucked, but I agree with what you say. Diablo 1's battles were truly immersive and felt so awesome and real. The player would grunt loudly in pain when damaged and the flinching animation was also nice and clear, and the sounds of weapons hitting was nice and satisfying alongside the cool sounds of demons dying.

Diablo 2's battle sounds left a lot to be desired imo.

But one thing that Diablo 2 imo had over Diablo 1 was definitely the player characters. The five original Diablo 2 characters (screw the expansion characters!) were awesome, the specialized skill tree was also pretty sweet imo and the way you got a skill point for spells every time you levelled up was imo far better than those tomes you had to collect and then read.

I bought a Pentium IV 3Ghz / 512MB DDR RAM / Radeon9800 Pro system last month, and now all I play is old SNES and Mame games through emulation :| Well, that and Call of Duty.

I find it very odd that I agree with every negative comment on Diablo 2 AND every positive comment on Diablo 2.

I have a few friends that absolutely love Diablo II. If i'd ask them if there's any negative aspects in the game, they'd prolly say: Not a single one.

I just don't understand them... :\

Kristian Ronge said:

"Jedi Knight: Dark Forces II", anyone?

Absolutely. I don't like the way it feels, really, but I loved it in 1997-2000. Then Quake III romanced me away forever.

Or at least until Doom 3 comes out.

Just because you're stupid doesn't mean the expansion classes are not good each in their own way.

IMO the druid is one of the better classes in the game.

"also they should have made the rare/unique items, more rare it's like "oh hell another gravespine bone wand.........""

Unless things have changed in 1.10 (i still play 1.09) i call BS...unless you only play a sorc/zon with a 400+ mf and do constant meph/cow runs, the drops are crap 99% of the time. I hate playing sorcs, and i dont see why it was almost a nescesity to make a goddamn mf char if you wanted to find items for other characters if you wanted to play them past nightmare diablo...without the typical rush.

Playing the game untwinked/unrushed (ie playing it NORMALY) is HARD.